• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2015 Schools Rowing

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LBA

Good coaches ?? Is a good coach the person who enables each and every rower to develop their rowing technique over the course of a season to improve on boat speed - or is a good coach the one that racks up the medal tally regardless of the technique? I watched a young rower who won a race on the weekend but they were shooting their bum badly and they wobbled their head like head like it was going to fall off the shoulders.

I am really excited about what will be posted after the 15th - Newington at SIRC let's hope all the ponnies oooppss the boys come go out to row - bit of left over Melbourne Cup spirit there.:p:p

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
Agree. Kinross is a boutique small-boat operation. On the other hand, in most other sports New has shown that the most important stroke happens when signing the cheque.

Agree. Kinross smash it in the fours with a couple of powerful rowers who have proven rowing pedigree. Big difference when compiling an VIII (or two)…. A lot of reliance on the weakest one or two crew members. New do have a stroke coming back for his 3rd bite at the cherry in the No 1 VIII, so that may be a bonus in bringing some much needed experience. Maybe the budget extends to the boys?!

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
Hmm - agree with the good coach comment, but challenge how he performs in an GPS environment and coaching an eight is different to U17 quads and SB fours at nationals.

Though I hear James Chapman is also part of the coaching team there this year and he should be able to fire a rocket up them!

Reactions: LBA

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
Gold Cup is 21st Feb this season.
Head of the Parramatta this Saturday. Only 3 or 4 GPS Schools usually compete and there is no real indications from it except whose cox can take the shortest course with out hitting rocks, boats or punts.
The 2 regattas at SIRC on 15th & 22nd Nov will give the first real glimpses of this years form

It's been said that it's really now turned into a picnic regatta. They should make it a full on bumps course, with dodging pylons, bouncing off expensive cruisers and mudbanks! Should be more like a pinball game…. gets 'specs' and you win!

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
Good coaches ?? Is a good coach the person who enables each and every rower to develop their rowing technique over the course of a season to improve on boat speed - or is a good coach the one that racks up the medal tally regardless of the technique? I watched a young rower who won a race on the weekend but they were shooting their bum badly and they wobbled their head like head like it was going to fall off the shoulders.

I am really excited about what will be posted after the 15th - Newington at SIRC let's hope all the ponnies oooppss the boys come go out to row - bit of left over Melbourne Cup spirit there.:p:p

I hope a lot of crews turn up. Fourth term must be such a yawn for the boys without racing. All rowing and no play makes the boys dull (like Jack in The Shining.) SIRC racing is always going to be the best indicator.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I hope a lot of crews turn up. Fourth term must be such a yawn for the boys without racing. All rowing and no play makes the boys dull (like Jack in The Shining.) SIRC racing is always going to be the best indicator.

In the olden days there was only one race before xmas - the Thiess Toyota Twilight Regatta run out of SRC over the 2000m course. But in those far off times there were no freakin ferries with bigger bow waves than the titanic.

L

LBA

Sounds like it the 15th will also be a reunion for Olympic Rowers - James Chapman, Sarah Cook, Kurtis Thomas the gang will all be there. Get Dominic Grimm to pop his head in and the NZ guy who also has been spotted at the Joeys boat shed and it will be a Five Ring Party.

L

LBA

I can only imagine that the boys will be sick of training and want to get out there and race. Chopping at the bit my last Melbourne Cup reference I promise

L

LBA

Cho
I can only imagine that the boys will be sick of training and want to get out there and race. Chopping at the bit my last Melbourne Cup reference I promise
Chomping NOT chopping to much champagne !!

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
We hit a pylon after the finish!

Home knowledge didn't help my cox when in the 2nd IV, my oar hit the pylon before the finish!

Also happened before at training in an eight in our 2nd year of rowing, and smashed the canvas to smithreens, we were forced to row in fours after that and ended up getting picked in the GPS fours as a result!

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
In the olden days there was only one race before xmas - the Thiess Toyota Twilight Regatta run out of SRC over the 2000m course. But in those far off times there were no freakin ferries with bigger bow waves than the titanic.
Wasn't it run down Iron Cove? May be wrong... Reckon they should bring it back or someone should get some sponsorship for an event like that. Maybe a few odds thrown in, handicap and a few bob?

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
I am not sure how you can rack up a big medal tally without having good boat speed.
The usual way is to stack a good crew in a lower grade. That always gets you some bling without having to worry about boat speed. Kinross did that last season with their top eight in the GPS third grade VIII event.

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
The biggest problem with the Gold Cup course besides the wind, speed boat washes and crooked course is that it is only a short race - it only takes about 4minutes, and your lane draw has a big impact on your final result. You come away from the regatta not really sure what the result means. A few weeks before the HOR you would have to wonder if you would be better of doing some quality training instead.
Um, I think that point has been made.

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
Sounds like it the 15th will also be a reunion for Olympic Rowers - James Chapman, Sarah Cook, Kurtis Thomas the gang will all be there. Get Dominic Grimm to pop his head in and the NZ guy who also has been spotted at the Joeys boat shed and it will be a Five Ring Party.
Not sure if Kurtis was an Olympic rower? Anyone?

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
Wouldn't there be more reliance on the one or two weakest rowers when rowing a four instead of an eight? I think Kinross only have 350 boys in total at their school and they won six medals at the Nationals last year. Surely the new Newington coach must be able to pull out some results with a bigger athlete pool. I guess the trick will be how good the rowing culture is at Newington and how much work needs to be done. Obviously it is one of the strengths of Shore to have such a strong tradition and culture of rowing success. Newington had it in the 80's and 90's in the Michael Morgan era, but I am happy to be corrected if I was to say they haven't had the same culture in rowing that they have in say their rugby. I would think that is one of the things the Newington coach would work on first.
Not sure basing your argument on Griffindor's rugby culture is sound. Until recently I wouldn't have thought their rugby was anything to too fantastic compared to other schools' rugby culture who are now doing it tough.
It's pretty simple to find three or four good rowers than it is to find eight of the same standard. That's why fours are the go to crews in the Olympics because it's easier to get a good combination (or a pair as Bond and Murray display).

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Wasn't it run down Iron Cove? May be wrong. Reckon they should bring it back or someone should get some sponsorship for an event like that. Maybe a few odds thrown in, handicap and a few bob?
I'm talking late 70s.
Definitely finished off SRC.
Before even my time (I think it had stopped - my old man won it in the 40s) there was a thing called theJB Sharpe run on iron cove in what was then 3rd term

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
I am sure this will spark some interest, it would be good if the Head of the River had a single scull event? Perhaps it could be run early in the morning, as the scullers would obviously be in their respective 1st VIII's and possibly double up.

That would be a very interesting race. Why has it not been introduced before? Is it because of the team aspect that is at the front of GPS sporting ethos?
On a physical level, I have seen the sheer exhaustion of rowers at the end of the HOR course. I doubt even the fittest boy could double up.
Do Olympians race more than once a day?

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Olympians tend not to race more than once a day, mainly because of the tight margins in the races and also because the race format is spread out over a week, so if they do row in two events, they don't have to do it on the same day usually. At most clubs regattas, State Champs and Nationals it is not uncommon for rowers to row 2-3 races in a day. I suggested the double-up option as I assumed most 1st VIII's wouldn't want to sacrifice their top rower to go and race the scull. If anyone could handle two races, it is likely to be one of your top rowers, as they generally would be better conditioned than the lower ranked rowers. I am not sure about the team ethos aspect, that could be correct. The rowing world has moved on a lot in recent years from treating the eights event as the only one worth watching. It would be great to see the GPS Head of the River come out of the dark ages with the events it offers and throw in a single scull event.

Yep, agree. The GPS Athletics has lots of single-athlete events!

lincoln

Bob Loudon (25)
I am sure this will spark some interest, it would be good if the Head of the River had a single scull event? Perhaps it could be run early in the morning, as the scullers would obviously be in their respective 1st VIII's and possibly double up.

There has been a mid-week sculling event at SIRC recently, assume it still is run.
Doubt anyone would be interested on the day - preparations for 1st VIII race are pretty intense and a sculling event would be disruptive.
They can enter this event at the Schoolboy Head of River if keen.

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
The JB Sharpe regatta series is still run over the winter months on Sundays. It is a series of regattas over shorter distances hosted by the clubs around Iron Cove (Leichhardt, Glebe, Balmain, UTS & Drummoyne)
I think Joeys competes in it and there are often GPS boys competing for clubs
Yep. The JB Sharpe races are held over 600-900m. They are primarily now for novice crews. Joeys don't row in them... Rugby commitments come first even though its on a Sunday. GPS rowers compete as part of the TA Programmes from various clubs (mainly SRC) or as scullers through the clubs. It's pretty informal... You can pretty much just turn up to the start almost.

Status
Not open for further replies.