• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2015 Schools Rowing

Status
Not open for further replies.

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
Th
That would be a very interesting race. Why has it not been introduced before? Is it because of the team aspect that is at the front of GPS sporting ethos?
On a physical level, I have seen the sheer exhaustion of rowers at the end of the HOR course. I doubt even the fittest boy could double up.
Do Olympians race more than once a day?
They do have the GPS sculling trials where all the 1st VIII boys trial over 1900m with a rolling start, then are graded into A,B,C etc finals. The winner of the A Final used get a trophy (read glass beer stein). From there the top 12 scullers seat race (at a later date) to make an honorary combined GPS VIII. Last season it was appallingly organised... It needs to be given due recognition but its usually run after a regatta when no one is around.

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
While we are waiting around for the racing to begin, who do you think was the best GPS 1st VIII ever? To qualify, they probably needed to be undefeated for the season, win the HOR and Nationals, win by big margins etc. Some that come to mind are Kings 2001, Shore 1985, Shore 1995, Newington 1990, Newington 1992.

Shore 2004 - 5.48 at HOTR, won Nationals by 5 seconds

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
Th
They do have the GPS sculling trials where all the 1st VIII boys trial over 1900m with a rolling start, then are graded into A,B,C etc finals. The winner of the A Final used get a trophy (read glass beer stein). From there the top 12 scullers seat race (at a later date) to make an honorary combined GPS VIII. Last season it was appallingly organised. It needs to be given due recognition but its usually run after a regatta when no one is around.

The year my guy did it they selected a crew and there was some intent to row at a higher regatta (possibly Worlds) but were stopped by some AAGPS rule. Boys were disappointed, notwithstanding being awarded a GPS badge for their blazer.

lincoln

Bob Loudon (25)
Yes, I thought one of the famous King's crews of the early 80's would have to feature. Kings won five years in a row between 1980-1985. The 82 crew was the only one to win the Nationals, so even though the other ones were good, they are the only one of those Kings crews to match the greatest crew criteria.
Cranbrook 73, almost beat an Olympian laden Sydney crew at Gold Cup.

L

LBA

The Head of the Parramatta was raced this morning. As previously mentioned, Grammar were the only 1st VIII entered. The year 10 1st VIII had five out of 8 crews entered making it the most complete GPS event on the day, but it was missing Shore, Joeys and Riverview. Scots won narrowly over Kings and Newington, with only five seconds separating the three crews over the longer distance.

Apparently the Scots 1st and 2nd VIII were at SIRC training. The Maritime Boat washed out a lot of boats to the point where some had to head home before that sunk - you would think those drivers would know better - this is the 2nd time this has happened apparently.

It would have been lovely to see more GPS crews participate but all roads are leading to SIRC for the Newington Regatta.

Have googled Kurtis Thomas Olympic Rower nothing came up - Maybe World Cup rower - had heard he had some claim to fame. But again I ask for feedback being a good rower does not necessarily mean you are a great coach.

Some GPS boys participate in the SRC TAP program - a lot of shore boys apparently but some Joeys boys have done it. SRC let the TAP boys race at the JB Sharpe series.

L

LBA

I agree with Barry I do not think you can really compare racing on a Harbour and SIRC racing - the timing is only as good as the BRO's are and I do not think any BRO's actually timed the Downer Cup. Could be wrong but the ones I saw were involved with Head of the Parra.

It is my understanding that any coaching while any race is going is not allowed. But how can you tell unless you are on the water and you hear them and then who do you tell and what is going to happen. If the Downer Cup was included in the Head of the Parra I do believe there would be a lot more control.

I think it is all very interesting I could say I have won a race but I could have been the only person in it - the devil is always in the detail. There were huge washes by speed boats and the actual Maritime.

We will just all have to watch this space.

If you need coaching on race day that is a bit sad really - everybody should be ready to race with the coaches just ensuring the coxes are weighed and boat is rigged properly and the crew is settled and prepared to the best of their ability. What crew member would actually hear them clearly anyway?

L

LBA

Regardless of winning or losing or drawing rowing is a fabulous sport and I wish all the boys competing all the very best.

I think there will be a lot of competition in the 2nd VII crews as well - as they have new coaches who are looking to put wins on the board.

Have done some more research and Kurtis Thomas was not an Olympic Rower - however he has proven coaching ability - so for the third time I ask - good rower's do they make good coaches??

Barry you are edging your bets by giving predicted placing's I like it.

I have looked at all the school colours and zooties and I like the pink and blue ones so I want to see them win! Cerise and Blue sorry - so I am going to say Joeys to win as many races as possible.

Shore have had their time in the sun - time to shake things up a bit. I saw the Joeys 1st VIII on the water - I think they were navy to train in with orange caps I think ???? The crew looks physically bigger than the Shore boys. So size and grunt over technique we will have to wait and see.

All roads lead to SIRC on Saturday - 8.30am start to 11.35am very civilized I must say - hope they serve good coffee at the cafe.

L

LBA

Barry - completely agree all eyes will be on the Race 6 Event 17. SB1 8+ H1

Thank you for the research you carried out in your previous posting - very interesting to look at which crews the boys were in last year.

L

LBA

2km is a bloody long way to race once - but twice ! If they are all off the water by 9.30am approx they will all have about 1.5hrs to rest and recover ready to row again. I think it will be a great start to what hopefully will be a great season.

L

LBA

I am so grateful for your response - there are so many variables. When I heard on the grapevine that some of the GPS school's had new coaches and were raving about the success of the person - it will be excellent they are an Olympic Rower - I was thinking a good rower might not necessarily be a coach.
I agree you can have a lot of knowledge and be good at something but it requires great skill to be able to share your knowledge with others.

And you are right - regardless of us chatting about rowing, rugby, cricket or basket ball - there are so many factors - that contribute to success - the crew you have - there ability to come together work as one. I do not think any other sport other than rowing provides a unique opportunity to work as a team. I have fallen in the love with the sport and can only take my hat off to the each and every boy or girl who rows. The school work has to be maintained and the early mornings and the genuine commitment to your crew members.

I am really looking forward to this season and look forward to chatting with everybody about the results of the Regatta's. All the boys and girls are winners in my eyes.

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
That is the best strategy I have ever read for doing an erg test - and I have read about fifty of them. Google "improve my erg score" and there are millions of pages devoted to it, but none break it down like this. It can be frustrating to watch big powerful bodies smashing erg tests just through a kind of animal frenzy with poor technique. Your plan is a viable way to challenge these guys so thank you.

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
"The advice they give you on many of the erg websites a I would recommend that kids should stick to the training programs set by their coaches for the holidays and dont get insecure and do hard erg pieces every day. Doing longer, low intensity ergs will benefit both the rowers erg score and their rowing performance."

Wise words, which shall be followed.

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
But the best tip of all is that while rowing is the best sport in the world, it is a very poor spectator sport, so for early regattas like this one, bring a bike and go and ride along with the races you want to watch (you will need to bring a helmet). Otherwise at best you really only watch the last few hundred metres, and miss most of the early action. Seeing the crews come out of the start is probably the best part, which you wont see if your standing at the end of the race.

I do disagree that it's not a good spectator sport, especially at SIRC. From a position in the grandstand as close to the tower as you can manage, it's very exciting to watch the crews come down the course, frequently checking the screen for times and placings at each 500. A good pair of binoculars helps.

Hen and Chicken is the worst for early visibility, but the finish line has a thrilling immediacy if you get on the wharf (with every man and his dog - literally). Iron Cove has great coffee at Neild Park but apocalyptic parking and inferior angle to the finish line.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
If you were wanting a good erg training program and didnt have any school training to get in the way, you would mainly do longer, low rate ergs of duration 40-60minutes, and only do 1-2 'hard' erg sessions per week.

I would recommend that kids should stick to the training programs set by their coaches for the holidays and dont get insecure and do hard erg pieces every day. Doing longer, low intensity ergs will benefit both the rowers erg score and their rowing performance.

I'd be interested in why this is the case and here's why: in my day we used to do long rows which would shorten up as the season went on but they seldom got as short as I understand is done now.
You seem to be suggesting longer pieces as we used to do.
Whats the theory/science/lore behind it?

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
One of the pleasing things to see from doing the analysis of the rowers listed to race in the 1st VIII's this weekend and seeing what crew they were in at the HOR last year is that it can be seen that all of the rowers were at their respective schools last year. If you did the same analysis of the GPS 1st XV rugby teams you would find a fair few newcomers, for various reasons, and not all good reasons. It would seem that the sport of rowing in the GPS is pretty good at developing its own talent (compared to some other sports). In saying that though, there is not a huge number of kids rowing outside of the GPS system, whereas in other sports like rugby there is.

Additionally, there seem to be more opportunities in professional rugby than in professional rowing. Therefore the need to move to a GPS school to maximise your exposure to selectors etc is lower in rowing than rugby.
I wonder if there are any stats re school attended for our adult elite rowers?

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
Even without the science, training over a longer distance than the one you must race can have an advantage. Sprinting is different I know, but Michael Johnson won 400m gold with the "extra metres" strategy. Most of his competitors divided the race into 4 sections of 100m or 8 x 50m. Johnson always trained over 450m and divided it into 5 90m sections and this allowed him to dig in at the "middle" of his race and then sprint for the finish in a completely different rhythm than others.

That, and presumably a pharmacopia of performance-enhancers.

L

LBA

In relation to Barry's comment posted at 3.17pm - I agree I can only think of approx 8 or 9 boys that row for a GPS school and a Rowing Club at this point in time. All you have to do is to look at the draws and cross reference it to non GPS Regatta's.

I do know that Shore put boys through the SRC STAP program I think I have mentioned this before or somebody else did.

There is no money in rowing - unlike turning into a professional Rugby player. I know of some boys who competed in GPS Regatta's who joined Rowing Club's after school. I am pretty confident that Jack Hargreaves sorry if I spelt his name incorrectly - who rowed in the Kings Cup was an old boy from a GPS school.

James Chapman is an old Newington Boy - I think. I would say that the majority of boys stop rowing after Yr12. Uni and Girls take over - the early mornings and training are replaced by training at the bar.

Some boys do not play rugby I have heard they do cross country to help with rowing.

Thank you for all the erg tips - I will try and use them myself - I will stop singing row row row your boat and focus on a more serious training program.

Oh and in relationship to behindthesheds comment - it is so refreshing that rowing has not be associated with any bad press. No drugs - No my coach gave it to me so I took it !! A smashed window by Josh Booth - did make world headlines but that is about it !!

L

LBA

National Team Members
Australian Junior Team 2014
Junior Men’s Coxless Four
Michael Ritchie (NSW – St Ignatius’ Riverview/Mosman)
Zac von Appen (NSW – St Augustine’s/Mosman)
Callum Rossi (NSW – St Ignatius’ Riverview/Mosman)
Sean Murphy (NSW – St Augustine’s/Mosman)

L

LBA

I pulled the above names from the Rowing Australia website - there might be a few other boys who are rowers who attend a GPS school and who also row for a club but have not been successful in being selected for a National Team.

Status
Not open for further replies.