• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2015 Schools Rowing

Status
Not open for further replies.

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
Just bear in mind that a lot of the school kids read this blog as well. How about you go on another blog. I havent seen you say one thing positive yet. Go and row in the 2nd VIII for a while.
Cranbrook have been trying for years to row in the GPS, not sure where you got that fact from. They are rowing in the 1st VIII event, so not sure where the lower grade comment comes from.
and the reason they've been trying is that they are... wait for it... CAS!!

lincoln

Bob Loudon (25)
Should we be making comments about non-GPS schools on this forum? Cranbrook intentionally don't want to be GPS but love to tuck into the silverware in lower grades. Same with Augustines and Kinross. All good about their programmes but it ain't GPS. Go TAS!!
Indeed they used to compete against the 3rd VIIIs but no more talk of riff raff, this is a GPS forum as we have been reminded.

L

LBA

Good morning Gentlemen - we have been busy haven't we - while my 4 wheel drive is in the shop for a service ready for the long haul drive to SIRC tomorrow - just a few random things:-
FORUM - noun

1. 1.​
    a meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.

What a clever little pig you are fpiglet your snout sniffed out that in actual fact I am female congratulations. But if you had actually ever read any discussions between Barry and myself you would have worked out quickly that Barry did not realise that I was female and has referred to me on several occasions as being male. So I put it out there little pig it that it must be you with love on the agenda because it is you who bought it up.

Barry and I have stayed on topic which is GPS rowing.

The Boat Racing Official roster is up on the Rowing NSW website for the world to see - so the Downer Cup must have been by invitation only as it was not listed for BRO's to volunteer for.

The thing that has concerned me is the comment go row in the 2nd VII for a while - which to me is referring that this crew is somewhat inferior. If any boys did read this forum which I doubt they would not have time - that is not a good thing to say especially if they were actually in the 2nd VIII.

Any school coaches can only select from the boys who put their name down to do Rowing as a summer sport - if a boy was to change schools the pool to choose from might be bigger or smaller so he could go up a crew or down a crew.

Bottom line is - any young person male or female who is prepared to have a go at rowing deserves to be supported and encouraged. So go row in the 2nd VIII is a bloody awful thing to say. If the Regatta's only had one event it would be very quick and very boring. Some boys might not ever make a higher crew but aspire to move up to the 2nd VIII from a four.

Oh and about my age - again little pig that is irrelevant - I am thinking that you might like a cougar to hunt you. I am thinking she would be bored and not satisfied and toss you away quickly.

I am old enough and ugly enough to look after myself to bring it I say but stay on topic.

Why don't the selectors attend the GPS Regatta's and communicate with the coaches and the boys themselves if they see potential for them to progress - give them the choice. Saying that coaches will not let them progress is not fair - the boys and the parents should be involved.

Oh and one final comment - "rif raf" - I have always hated that term. Regardless of financial background or what school the boys attend they all get blisters on their hands their butt and are completely exhausted from trying to participate in the great team sport of rowing.

Thank God we are not in a crew together I would have jumped out and swam back to shore. Not Shore the school :rolleyes:

P.S If you are not currently attending Joey's or know somebody currently there how the hell do you if the boys don't get ripped off about their school colours - something in the eighties - boys can be cruel to one another in any year.

Off to put on a stylish bucket hat and sun screen and thanks to "little pig" a new young lover !!

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Any references to pink in connection with Joeys are tiresome, puerile and pointlessly provocative. Cerise ties back to the French influence over the foundation of Joeys, the Marist brothers being a French order; it's cerise, use it. This goes for anyone else who feel they want to pull Joeboys' chains and rabbit on about pink.

Old Boy and former parent.

Reactions: LBA
L

LBA

Timing is the thing about Nationals. Trials for Yr 12 boys start straight after the AAGPS HOR if I am not mistaken.

But I agree why not let the boys get to race against a bigger field. It would be like any sport - you only how good you really are if you are competing against the best out there.

If you have a senior squad that are all in Yr12 I don't think you would parents to support them being taken out for any more days than necessary. But who am I to comment?

Can you be better at one type of rowing than another - sweep versus sculling - and if each school does not do a training combination of both how would you know each boys strengths?

So putting them in singles might be pointless ? This for me is a very interesting topic - the selection process - do the boys swap side from bow to stroke side during the season - or once they are placed in their seat that is it.

As per Lindommer comments all the GPS schools are drenched in history and GPS Rowing is a special part of that - regardless of the colour of zooties and the crew each boy is in. I will be making the trip to SIRC to watch the racing. I am open and willing to learn as much as I can about the sport.

Friendly banter and a good laugh all enjoyed as well.

I did not care that you thought I was a male Barry if I did I would have said something - you are committed to the sport and its development - that is a good thing.

I have openly said I have looked at all the schools online and picked the Joeys because I liked the colours. That does not mean anything in the grand scheme of things, and if you assume that I am parent you possibly could be wrong. I admire Lindommer for saying he is an old boy and a former parent. But for me personally my status of any sort for want of a better description is irrelevant to this forum.

L

LBA

I just want to clarify - AAGPS - The Athletic Association of the Great Public Schools - the AAGPS is on the 7th March 2015.

The schools in that group are - Grammer, Sydney Boys High, Joeys, Kings, Newington, Riverview, Scots, Shore and TAS - but TAS do not have a rowing program?

Then there is a NSW Schoolboy Head of the River and a NSW Schoolgirl Head of the River.

Then CHS - Combined High Schools they have a Regatta as well.

By this time tomorrow - I am thinking this forum might be in melt down with all the comments from a variety of individuals.

Off to pick up the 4wheel drive now :p

L

LBA

The rowers tend to stay on one side for their entire rowing career, although there are numerous examples of people switching sides. I believe James Chapman and a few others have represented Australia rowing on either side. There is not a whole lot of science in choosing what side someone rows initially, and the initial choice of side to row on usually determines what side they row on for the rest of their rowing careers. Some kids feel a preference for rowing a particular side, while others don't, so the coach allocates them a side to row on during their first sweep oar row. Once you have a few rows on one side it then fields weird to row on the other side, so you just stick with it.

If you are right handed or left handed does that ever make a difference? It would be very good to have rowers that can sweep stroke side or bow side - with injuries etc... you be a very valuable crew member being able to keep the crew in tact as much as possible.

Also I have head that you get a yellow card if you are found to be doing a racing start in the transit lane at SIRC that rule would not apply to racing on the Iron Cover or Hen and Chicken would it. Is it up to the coaches to teach the crews the rules of Boat Racing. Are there rules - there must be? The Boat Racing Officials would use them? Are they all volunteers?

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
TAS do row, LBA, they train on a local dam, as do Kinross Wolaroi. They compete in regattas on the northern rivers where there's a rich history of rowing. IIRC, TAS entered a four in the GPS HotR in the last few years, that'd be their first involvement in GPS rowing.

The history of schoolboy rowing in Sydney is tightly tied to the GPS schools for boys rowing. A few schools have offered a sculling program over the years, but they were in essence run by a nearby senior rowing club. Nepean HS and Penrith HS put the odd boy in schoolboy sculling events, they train at Nepean Rowing Club. Same for some inner city schools, the boys invariably train at Leichhardt, Drummoyne, Haberfield, Mosman, Colleagues Rowing Clubs, etc. The only non-GPS boys school which has an extensive rowing program is Cranbrook; the highlight of their season was always the Riverview Gold Cup. The last decade has seen St Augustine's and SCECGS Redlands put a few boys crews into regattas. The GPS could be accused of being a bit close-minded here, a more open attitude could see their boys progress in the sport.

Girls rowing in Sydney is an entirely different beast: if any girls school wants to row, come in, you're welcome. Girls schools which row have done it bloody tough the last couple of decades, none of them own a rowing shed (Sydney Girls High got a share in one on Tarban Creek recently). Despite offering to put up the money to improve Sydney Boys High's shed at Abbotsford some years ago Ascham were stymied by a babble of inner city basket weavers who objected to "rich toffs" using public assets. The irony is High's shed isn't owned by High, the SHS Foundation own it. After that failed attempt Ascham use Mosman RC's shed near the Spit, imaging having to do that trip morning or afternoon! Pymble travel across the bridge to Leichhardt RC, another shocker. Other girls schools had to beg to use (mostly) club premises on a grace or favour basis. Loreto Normanhurst used to use Joeys' boatshed but that arrangement ended (I never found out why, maybe there were too many girls in the showers:eek: ) and now travel out to SIRC for their training. It's a bloody long hike.

The inclusive and co-operative attitude of those in charge of girls rowing in Sydney the last few decades could certainly teach the boys schools, especially the GPS lot, how to encourage participation in the sport long-term.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
I agree, and to add to that, not only is the Schoolgirl rowing more inclusive, but the structure of their regattas is better as I have mentioned earlier. Rowers at their regattas have the opportunity to race in more than one event, and can row small boats and big boats, sweep and sculling.

I am not advocating disbanding the GPS rowing system, but I think their should be a Maadi style regatta in Australia that is the end goal for each school that can be competed in after their HOR's.
One of the biggest barriers to this sensible proposal is that schoolboys and schoolgirls have a huge workload outside the boat. Year 11 and 12 students in particular are coping with new subjects and preparation for the HSC, including the important examination periods (marks from these exams go towards the HSC mark). Add in winter sport fast approaching and the need in Rugby at least to get ready for contact, then you see why schools look at additional rowing opportunities from a school and student perspective, not from a rowing perspective.

alfred

Bob McCowan (2)
I think someone asked for this info a few days ago. Since 1992, 18 GPS rowers have represented Australia at the Olympics. Some have represented Australia more than once, meaning GPS rowers have filled 33 Olympic spots since 1992. Below is a list of names, their school, their Olympic years, and whether or not they won the AAGPS HOR.

Peter Murphy – Shore – 1992 and 1996 – Won HOR 1985
Richard Wearne – Newington – 1996 – Won HOR 1989
James Stewart – Newington – 1996, 2000, 2004 – Won HOR 1991
Geoff Stewart – Newington – 1996, 2000, 2004 – Won HOR 1991
Steve Stewart – Newington – 2004, 2008 – Won HOR 1994
Matt Long – Newington – 2000 – Won HOR 1991, 1992
James Chapman – Newington – 2004 (reserve), 2008, 2012 – Won HOR 1997
Rob Jahrling – Newington – 1996, 2000, 2004, Won HOR 1992
Al Gordon – Kings – 2000 – Won HOR 1993
Sam Loch – Kings – 2008, 2012, Won HOR 2001
Matt Ryan – Kings – 2008, 2012, Won HOR 2001
Marty Rabjohns (Cox) – Kings – 2008
Toby Lister (cox) – Shore – 2012 – Won HOR 2004
Nicholas Purnell – Shore – 2012 – Won HOR 2008
Dan Noonan – Riverview – 2008, 2012 – Represented Australia at Junior worlds in Year 12.
Dan Burke – St Josephs – 2000 – Won School four at Nationals
Stuart Welch – Grammar – 2004, 2008 – Won Schoolboy Eight at Nationals 1994 and rowed at Junior Worlds.
Francis Hegerty – St Josephs – 2008, 2012

Total of 18 Olympians, for 33 Olympic spots. 13/18 won the GPS HOR. 25/33 Olympic spots won the HOR. Of those that didn't win the HOR, 2 won at the Nationals in Year 12 and 2 went to the Junior Worlds.

Out of the 18 Olympians – Newington 7, Kings 4, Shore 3, Joeys 2, Riverview 1, Grammar 1, Scots 0, High 0. All 7 of the Newington boys were coached by Michael Morgan at school.

Out of the 33 Olympic Spots – Newington 16, Kings 6, Shore 4, Joeys 3, Riverview 2, Grammar 2

So that is 18 Olympians from the NSW GPS spread over a 20 year period. It roughly equates to one Olympian from each year of GPS rowing - out of 8 schools x 9 rowers including cox = 72. (around 1.4%)

What does this mean? Possibly it means that having an Olympic potential rower in your crew increases your chances of winning the HOR. Also, it may mean that winning the HOR increases the likelihood of you continuing on to be an Olympic rower. Alternately, it could just be pure coincidence, or none of the above.

you have gone mad. well and truly.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
If alfred and Armstrong (very apt name for a rowing piece) reckon Bazza's post on GPS rowers in recent Olympics is a bit much you obviously don't spend much time reading the rugby analyses on G&GR. That article wouldn't even be an entrée for some of the match reports put up here.

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
And Joeys takes the final in under 6 again. Shore 3 seconds behind. Shore went out hard in first 1000 but Joeys pegged them back in all important 3rd 500. New team at Joeys working well. Seems we will have the company of Lindommer waving the cerise and blue flag through to HOTR ;)
Close race in B final between Newington and a non-GPS school.

L

LBA

Thank you so much for the laugh - it was a Snowflake Regatta with just flakes in the boats :)

Had a lovely day at SIRC will return again next week for Grammer. The racing was indeed very exciting.

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
So Barry is revealed to be a retired actuary, that much is obvious.

Conditions weren't that great today, quite windy on the water at SIRC. It helped some crews to have a tailwind but not all.

Leaving aside the scoring system, the stat of the day is that out of 17 races, Joeys was top 3 in 15 of them.

Though the sting of defeat by St.Augustine's in 2nd four will be felt for years to come.

Reactions: LBA

lincoln

Bob Loudon (25)
And Joeys takes the final in under 6 again. Shore 3 seconds behind. Shore went out hard in first 1000 but Joeys pegged them back in all important 3rd 500. New team at Joeys working well. Seems we will have the company of Lindommer waving the cerise and blue flag through to HOTR ;)
Close race in B final between Newington and a non-GPS school.
Joeys in with a big chance to claim redemption after their last HOTR victory was soured at State by a school whose name cannot be mentioned on this forum ;)
Excellent news for the life of this forum that has died in recent years after the first regatta when it became somewhat obvious as to which was the leading crew. David Jennings goal for most wins at HOTR (Garry Uebergang current holder) may have to wait another year.

Status
Not open for further replies.