• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2016 Schools rowing

Who will win?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Liam Robertson

Peter Burge (5)
The name of this thread has been changed to "2016 Schools Rowing" so that the thread may attract postings from people interested in junior rowing generally and not limit it to the rowing of a few boys schools.

Do not change the title.

Thank you.

Mods

Hi all and welcome to the AAGPS Rowing thread for the 2016 Season.

Although still a while away until the season starts, I thought we could get some prediction's and some crew line-ups for each school.

Anyone interested please don't hesitate to contribute, leave any thoughts or ideas here.

Many thanks,

LR

T

themanger

Will be a very interesting season, I have been hearing things about 3 boat sheds. Newington, with the return of some influential coaches. Scots, with a strong year coming through. And the ever present big dogs of rowing, the shore school. Will they be returning the major rennie? thats the question on my mind.

themanger

Liam Robertson

Peter Burge (5)
Without taking into consideration the amount of returning year 11 oarsmen, My predictions are as follows:

Joeys: Clear favourites, having every crew podium on the day except for their 2nd VIII. Michael Lane seems to know what his doing over there with some fine form in the previous years, a 2nd in 2013 and 2014 and now a 1st in 2015.

Scots: Winning the 2nd VIII and coming 2nd in the 1st VIII race was a very good result for Scots at HotR. With a 3rd in 2014 and a 2nd in 2015 in the 1st VIII event, surely Scots are well due for a win. Time will tell.

Shore: Let's look back to 2011, Grammar win the Rennie beating shore by a couple of seconds. A year later, shore win it back in a time of 5:48, nudging out a competitive Scots crew which pulled a 5:51. David Jennings definitely knows what his doing over there, and if anything is possible, leave it to him to pull it off.

Riverview: It seems that Riverview, despite their shed being located on campus haven't had any form of success over the last couple of years. Another school which is going through a drought similar to that of Scots, if I remember correctly Riverview have come 4th for the last 4 years in a row. Despite boasting coaches of elite Australian level, nothing that spectacular has arisen out of the shed.

Newington: Although winning the 2nd VIII event a few years ago and placing 3rd in the 1st VIII in that same year, Newington was surely going to again reclaim a win in the 1st VIII. However, it seemed that things only got worst, with a 6th, 7th and now a 5th this year, which is disappointing seeing that the 2nd VIII this year managed a 3rd at HotR. Despite this, I do believe Newington can be a serious threat this year, with a strong year group coming through, and a shake up in the program.

All 4 schools mentioned above could easily take it out this year. I think at this stage, the winning edge between each school would be a big pre-season, as we saw from Joeys last year pulling a sub 6 in their first regatta at SIRC.

As for Kings, Grammar and High I don't know that much which is going on in each of their sheds. If anyone does, please inform the forum.

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
Unlike last season, I have no trouble predicting that Scots will win HOTR in the 1st VIII in 2016. Let the record show that I am putting it out there in June 2015.
The runners up will be tightly contested between Shore and probably Joeys.

KT has a master plan and a formidable budget. I suspect he is in line for a pretty hefty $$$ bonus if they win.

After Joeys' form last season one would think they would be contenders but someone mentioned on this forum that most of this year's winning crew were Year 12s so they cannot be viewed as favourites - especially given their disastrous 2nd VIII form this season compared with Scots.

Shore will be over chewing their humble pie and will be hungry in a big way. They will be the chief threat.

None of the other schools will rate unless they are busy importing scholarship boys now.

There - that's my crystal ball. Bring on the opposing views.

Liam Robertson

Peter Burge (5)
Does anyone know how schools like Kings, Grammar and New are looking?

Kings had a winning 1st Jnr VIII if I recall correctly in 2014, and now these rowers are in year 12.

Any thoughts??

Major Rennie

Herbert Moran (7)
I think what is interesting abt rowing is that the best crew is evident from the first race. Seldom do positions change significantly even though it is early in the season and lots of training ahead for the boys.

Just to put it out there, do coaches really get bonuses if they win ?

Shore have their tail between their legs after last season and some good crews coming through. Their Year 10 1st VIII was the standout (besides Joeys 1st VIII of course) this year so will be very strong over the next 2 years. Will definitely be hard to beat.

How many of the Scots 1st VIII are repeating ?

What are the likely crews for each school ?

So many questions though so much time........

MR

T

themanger

Im assuming the return of a fair few boys from Newington's 2015 1st VIII and 2nd VIII.
With the return of Michael Morgan as a coaching consultant to the shed, could this be the difference of the rennie returning to newington? I'm always keen for a discussion on this matter.

Major Rennie

Herbert Moran (7)
MM a legend of schoolboy rowing. Would be a big turnaround in News fortunes to win next year. Not sure hey have the cattle to be honest.

T

themanger

MM a legend of schoolboy rowing. Would be a big turnaround in News fortunes to win next year. Not sure hey have the cattle to be honest.

The year 11's coming through are meant to be strong, mean erg time of about 6:30 to my knowledge. Not too sure about the year below them. Will be a very interesting year.

Liam Robertson

Peter Burge (5)
Do you know if that is on stationary or sliders? 

If I recall correctly, I think the best erg in the Shore 1st VIII in 2014 was somewhere under 6:05 and the worst was somewhere in the high 6:10's, I think 6:18 or so. 

They went on to pull a 5:53 that year at Head of the River and also win Nationals.

I would say Newington has a good base to build off, but some signs of improvement would be definitely needed.

T

themanger

Do you know if that is on stationary or sliders? 

If I recall correctly, I think the best erg in the Shore 1st VIII in 2014 was somewhere under 6:05 and the worst was somewhere in the high 6:10's, I think 6:18 or so. 

They went on to pull a 5:53 that year at Head of the River and also win Nationals.

I would say Newington has a good base to build off, but some signs of improvement would be definitely needed.

To my knowledge they are erging on concept 2's. Agreed,a good base but to be competitive in this age those times will have to drop significantly. Only time will tell, as a wise man once said: "they won it in the holidays"

oarsome

Allen Oxlade (6)
From the 2015 Shore 1st VIII there are four boys + the cox returning. Additionally four more from the second 8 which placed second. And a whole junior 8 that placed 3rd at nationals from memory & came third to Shore, and Scots at the Sydney rowing regatta in the 2nd 8 Division. Seems like they have the man power just about putting it together.

L

LBA

Bloody hell it is 2015 and people are voting for the 2016 AAGPS HOR winner already. I cannot believe the new thread has kicked off !

On water training has begun so I guess why not. I think it will be an exciting season - KT is hunting of that there is no doubt. What I do find amusing is that some of the new blood on the thread has not read the old stuff to know who is who is the zoo to speak.

The hardware has been relocated and I think there will be a fight to keep it - but as Major Rennie said - if you do not have the cattle to select from - and you cannot get to import exactly what you are looking for you work with what you have got.

Height, weight, technique all play a part but look at what happened at Nationals - a breakage and all the dreams came crashing down and Nudgee got up. So at the end of the day - It is not over until that bow ball crosses the line.

How many boys are playing rugby and run the risk of injury - how many will not row to focus on the HSC. So many variables - but SRC is running STAP and they are not all Shore boys. SUBC has boys training as well. If you are up and out early you will see who is on the water training already.

I wish all the rowers participating great training and racing.

Liam Robertson

Peter Burge (5)
Kings will be more formidable than previous years no doubt about it. They certainly had the strongest 1st Junior VIII in 2014 (i think came 1st or 2nd at Nationals), and had 10 boys from that year in the 1st/2nd VIII last year. Their coach in that Junior VIII has been appointed as head coach for this year and the boys are training out of UTS/Sydney through winter.
It will be interesting to see if they improve a mediocre set of results from last season.

Ah that is good news to hear. Kings had quite the shocker at last HotR in the VIII's, with i believe both crews getting very similar times.

L

LBA

Where is it set in stone that a winning junior VIII crew automatically becomes a winning 1st VIII crew? Each school would know who is leaving this year and who is coming up - but I sincerely doubt that sort of detail would be revealed on this forum.

I am going to sound like a broken record - but pulling a good erg does not necessarily mean you have great technique on the water. I think you could train a monkey to pull a good erg - but on water technique is a skill and working as one with precision blade work and direction from the cox - nine monkey's or cattle - or young men - Different story.

Having a legend as a coach consultant sounds impressive - but he can only work with what he has got - and like Major Rennie said - poor cattle - poor crews. You cannot make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

Personalities of each of the boys and the relationship they have with their coach is again a contributing factor.

I have heard rumours that Shore parents are very confident and they might be choking on their humble pie - but again if they push to hard the boys might just slip up. Again it might come down to who makes the least amount of mistakes on the day as to who wins.

I really think it is to early - I think it will be very interesting season. Watch this space.

What I will share with you - is that I an overjoyed that some ex GPS Rowers are heading to Rio. Last year I was worried that the boys stopped rowing after leaving Yr 12. I was pleased to "Support the Crew" and find out that young men who started rowing in GPS schools were selected.

Off to Rio they go - go the mighty Aussie's. :):):):) I cannot stop singing when my baby smiles me I go to Rio - to much red wine for a Monday night. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.