• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2016 Schools rowing

Who will win?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BTburgess

Frank Row (1)
AAGPS races (excluding HOTR) - coxswains do not have to weigh in
RNSW races - Boats are DQ'd on the start line for not weighing in, weight is 50kg.
HOTR - 55kg minimum weight
Now, according to (http://www.biorow.com/RBN_en_files/2009RowBiomNews.pdf), every kg per rower (so 8kg of coxswain) is worth roughly 0.7s over a 6minute 2k, meaning it had no effect on shore's 5:59.

Can I also comment on the poor sportsmanship of scots, as soon as something goes wrong (a rower fell off his seat in the heat), their coach told them from the bank to row light, and they cruised down the course low rate. The boys from bellevue hill cant bear to lose on anybody else's terms as it seems.

Yes i agree with your comment about Scots, trying to get a restart because someone falls of their seat (Shore 2nd VIII 2012) and i do believe the breakage rule has now been abolished.

May i also comment on how their 2nd VIII didn't enter as well. Now there may be a valid reason for scratching such as sickness or injury but it would not surprise me if they were over at the Nepean training instead of racing.

LTR.

Actually decided to row low rate as more than one boy fell of their seats and they were so far behind that they decided to row lighter and save their energy for the final, rather than going all out for a Lane 1 Draw that they were going to get anyway. Also the 2nd VII didn't race because of sickness, with over half the crew out.

Also, with a lot of crews waiting to come together at one point in the season do you think we will get a true measure of where the schools are and who will, or won't, challenge come HOTR?

Liam Robertson

Peter Burge (5)
Yes i agree with your comment about Scots, trying to get a restart because someone falls of their seat (Shore 2nd VIII 2012) and i do believe the breakage rule has now been abolished.

May i also comment on how their 2nd VIII didn't enter as well. Now there may be a valid reason for scratching such as sickness or injury but it would not surprise me if they were over at the Nepean training instead of racing.

LTR.

Are you sure the breakage rule has been abolished ? I was under the impression that for any breakage (even a poor start, as seen in the past) crews can stop before the 250m mark and have the race re-started.

Thanks,
LR

SBrow

Larry Dwyer (12)

LTR.

Their boat was sitting on the racks, which makes it all the more unusual, KT is up to some weird business that's for sure

LR - Watch the national schoolboy eights video on youtube, I believe it has been abolished

LuvToRo

Chris McKivat (8)
Actually decided to row low rate as more than one boy fell of their seats and they were so far behind that they decided to row lighter and save their energy for the final, rather than going all out for a Lane 1 Draw that they were going to get anyway. Also the 2nd VII didn't race because of sickness, with over half the crew out.

Also, with a lot of crews waiting to come together at one point in the season do you think we will get a true measure of where the schools are and who will, or won't, challenge come HOTR?

I think last Saturday was a pretty good indicator in terms of showing which crews are going to be competitive and will be challenging for the win at HOTR but in saying this it is still very early days with a lot of development still to come. I would also say that you can rule out certain crews from being competitive e.g. Newington who i think everyone (including myself) thought would be more competitive and obviously High and Grammar.

I would imagine that in all the races that all crews will be trying to put their best foot forward. Lets remember there is a senior pennant to win from all of the accumulated points from regattas. I hope that answers your question BT burgess

LTR.

L

LBA

Right so the 20kg of dead weight I carry around on my butt and gut does not impact my movement or speed. Are you kidding me??

I have attached just the one page as a reference. Every 1kg of extra dead weight per rower can decrease the boat speed. I hope your cox does not weigh 8kilos LovToRow. If the minimum weight of a AAGPS cox is 55kg that is an additional 6.875 of weight per rower.

The breakage rules was abolished when I was young and I am old - how does everybody not know that. Don't the coaches teach the rules ? What is the minimum coaching level required to coach in a GPS school? What other rules don't GPS rowers don't know? If you learn to drive a car you learn the rules. Row and race know the rules - there is a link on the Rowing NSW website.

I am sure that when the "winged keel fin" was designed nobody worried about drag, inertial loss and energy loss - I am sure when Crooker designed their new arrows they did not take into consideration weight ?

Well I am feeling light as a feather now - the additional weight does not slow me down at all - I think I might have to have a big butter filled croissant for breakfast. :D:D

Attachments

• DeadWeightRowBiom.pdf
    25.8 KB · Views: 384

LuvToRo

Chris McKivat (8)
Right so the 20kg of dead weight I carry around on my butt and gut does not impact my movement or speed. Are you kidding me??

I have attached just the one page as a reference. Every 1kg of extra dead weight per rower can decrease the boat speed. I hope your cox does not weigh 8km LovToRow. If the minimum weight of a AAGPS cox is 55kg that is an additional 6.875 of dead weight per rower.

The breakage rules was abolished when I was young and I am old - how does everybody not know that. Don't the coaches teach the rules ? What is the minimum coaching level required to coach in a GPS school? What other rules don't GPS rowers don't know? If you learn to drive a car you learn the rules. Row and race know the rules - there is a link on the Rowing NSW website.

I am sure that when the "winged keel fin" was designed nobody worried about drag, inertial loss and energy loss - I am sure when Crooker designed their new arrows they did not take into consideration weight ?

Well I am feeling light as a feather now - the additional weight does not slow me down at all - I think I might have to have a big butter filled croissant for breakfast. :D:D

I don't know why your having a go at me LBA as i didn't mention anything about coxswain weights and i think you should get your units of measurement correct before trying to pick a fight (8km)

ColonelM

Frank Row (1)

I have attached just the one page as a reference. Every 1kg of extra dead weight per rower can decrease the boat speed. I hope your cox does not weigh 8km LovToRow. If the minimum weight of a AAGPS cox is 55kg that is an additional 6.875 of dead weight per rower.

I don't know why your having a go at me LBA as i didn't mention anything about coxswain weights and i think you should get your units of measurement correct before trying to pick a fight (8km)

I think LTR is trying to compare a 50kg cox with a 58kg cox by imagining that the extra 8kg of dead weight on the cox is distributed to each rower.

Its like saying "58kg cox with 80kg rowers" versus "50kg cox with 81kg rowers" (where that extra kilo on each rower is dead weight) - the boats have the same power and the same weight.

Remember that we're talking about an 800kg boat here (rowers 80 each + 90 boat + 55 cox = 785), so 20kg is a mere fraction of that amount. However on you or me 20kg is a quarter of our weight.

While I'm not claiming that extra weight has no effect on speed (clearly untrue), I'm saying that the difference between AAGPS and RNSW cox weights (55kg and 50kg respectively) is negligible in most races. The research presented by LTR says that it would be less than 0.5 of a second. Over 2000m that margin is easily be dwarfed by technique, steering or effort.

On a more positive note, the draw is up on RNSW's website for this Saturday.

-M

L

LBA

I am not now or ever trying to have a go at anybody - a bit of fun and a laugh. Anything to make my old wobbly bits jiggle !! Life is to short to be so serious.

Wishing all the boys improvement on the results from last week. And shock horror maybe some fun along the way. Why all so serious !!

Best leave all the young one to be competitive and to fight it out to the death. Me rowing is a sport that regardless of your age and weight you can enjoy!

I have corrected my error - from 8km to 8 kilos.

All the best to everybody

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
Cranbrook combining their IVs to race in the 1st VIII - probably trying to emulate Auggies effort from last week and claim a few GPS scalps for their boatshed.
Stroke and 2 changed around in Shore 1st IV.

Andrew B Cox

Sydney Middleton (9)
As a former coxswain, I feel a little uncomfortable being called a 'dead weight'. We small men of the dark arts make a significant contribution.

L

LBA

Sincere apologies Andrew B Cox. Dead weight was harsh - I am actually very aware of just how important a good coxswain is - they are worth their weight in gold. I have watched crews who were rowing well slowly loose races because they took the longest way to the finish line - stopping on the way to bump into things other boats, buoys etc..

I am also aware of the rule that if for some unknown reason everybody jumped out of the boat and the coxswain was left in the boat as it crossed the line in any place - the boat and crew would still receive recognition of that placing. So that is real emphasis on just how important coxswains are.

I find weight distribution interesting - it is not so much the actual cox - they sit in their allocated area but the loose weights that some coxswains have to carry if they are under weight - that weight cannot be evenly distributed throughout the boat - it has to sit in the allocated area. Some little girls I have seen walking into get weighed cannot carry their own weights. That is not right - if the boat tipped over - not good.

Please accept my apologies Andrew B Cox. It is a shame that you are not still participating in the dark arts - lots of clubs find it hard to keep coxswains. You should perhaps make time to bring your skill back to rowing.

Also if you actually read the attachment it refers to dead weight - I should have known to put a disclaimer in. I was so looking forward to Christmas drinks - I don't think I could afford a flak jacket, full body armour and my own personal security guards. To those who attend - have fun !!

Wangipapa

Frank Row (1)
Actually, I believe shore only had a 3rd VIII for the first time (or for the first time in a long while) for the 2014 hotr, haven't checked every year, however

Hey SBrow,

"INSIDER: This is obviously not the first time that SHORE has had a 3rd VIII, they have had this crew for many years previously, and it also raced at the HOTR last year (2014), but they didn't win because of a breakage at the 1000m mark."

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
I note Kinross-Wolaroi came 1st in Schoolgirls 1st and 2nd VIIIs - beating Pymble in both. Great to see that boat shed thriving.

L

LBA

The name of this thread has been changed to "2016 Schools Rowing" so that the thread may attract postings from people interested in junior rowing generally and not limit it to the rowing of a few boys schools.

Do not change the title.

The above was the Opening of this forum! Page One post one.

Seriously are we going to get back on this old Merry Go around again - go back through last years discussions.

AAGPS rowing is a very small part of the world of rowing granted it is special but seriously come on - girls row as well. The girls compete in more than just quads / IV's and VIII's. They train very hard and are worthy of discussions and respect.

Reading is that so hard - go back and read catch up - Wangipapa or whatever your name is - there was already a post about this not being Shore's first time at the dance with a 3rd VIII.

"Please reserve this page for AAGPS rowing only" - that is being an elitist jerk. There are some great young rowers out there who don't attend AAGPS schools who are achieving great things on the water. They do well at Regatta's and have started training for Nationals - they have big dreams of their own. Get on the Rowing NSW website check out other Regatta results. The NSWIS TT3 is being held on Saturday on the Nepean River. Think outside the GPS world of rowing.

If you cannot say something nice - then don't say anything at all. I would like to see the sportsman ship displayed at the Girls Regatta's displayed at the AAGPS Regattas. The girls at the Regatta's I have observed are very social. Competitive yes but lovely to each other. As mentioned I went to Mc Donalds after a Regatta for a sugar hit. The girls were dancing around and chatting to other girls from other schools. It was fun and with their checks painted in school support - and smudged race numbers and plans and words of encouragement on their thighs it was great.

I am not going to apologise any more for having my opinions - everybody else is very confident about posting theirs.

It could be said this whole forum is full of Shore supporters blowing their own trumpet. Healthy competition yes but respect and humility on and off the water. I think I understand why that person was annoyed on the pontoon about the warm up display on the SIRC pontoon and the footpath being blocked. It is not the Shore show regardless of how many races they win. It might not have been sour grapes at all it might have been disgust about the bad behaviour observed.

Adam Robertson

Frank Row (1)
LBA I do not intend to discriminate against an other facets of the rowing community, but seeing as 294 of the 297 posts are speaking about AAGPS Rowing it is safe to assume that this is an AAGPS Rowing forum. This is further emphasised by AAGPS poll, which continually resides at the top of each page.

Major Rennie

Herbert Moran (7)
Hey LBA,

Not sure where your comments are going about Shore guys blowing their trumpet. Haven't seen any of it except that they look a very good shed for next year.

Try going to the rugby forum to see what trumpet blowing is done.

Cheers,
MR

L

LBA

Good point MR - the interpretation of trumpet blowing is personal. This particular person is obviously not a Shore supporter. I might interrogate a bit more. I might be walking around in a flak jacket, full body armour accompanied by body guards at this rate.

I can safely say that GPS rowers and supporters are fiercely loyal :):)

I will have to attend a GPS Regatta and form my own opinion - will still keep the ribbons and sun screen in my boat bag but.

In my humble opinion - not a fan of any sort of trumpet blowing the achievements medals etc.... speak for themselves. Put the runs on the board and put the board in a prominent place. Then just get on it - there will always be a bigger fish and a bigger pond.

Great that you found the time to post something MR. Thank you

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
Hey SBrow,

"INSIDER: This is obviously not the first time that SHORE has had a 3rd VIII, they have had this crew for many years previously, and it also raced at the HOTR last year (2014), but they didn't win because of a breakage at the 1000m mark."

Mmmmmm......perhaps they also didn't win because the Joeys 3rd VIII dominated the season including a 16 second spanking at Gold Cup. The Shore crew did make a tremendous improvement over the season to come 2nd by about 5s but breakage or no breakage, they were hardly going to win.

Status
Not open for further replies.