• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2016 Schools rowing

Who will win?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

LuvToRo

Chris McKivat (8)
Another interesting weekend of racing of which i had the pleasure of attending with the tail breeze made the racing a lot closer and exciting particularly in the eights

Shore again winning most of the GPS events with the 1st VIII, 2nd VIII and 3rd and 4th IV's but margins were not as large as last week. The tail breeze probably had an impact on this. Also Shore look as though they have quite heavy crews with some big boys (in the eights) in there which also affects boat speed.

Joeys i think had a very positive day of racing with their 1st VIII closing the gap and their 2nd VIII coming in 2nd which is a big improvement on last weeks 4th. However their 1st IV have taken a step back to 4th and their 2nd IV coming home strongly in 2nd place not to far from the lead and the same can be said for their 4th four. The Joeys 3rd IV didn't have a great day.

Scots also had an okay day getting on the podium in every crew except for the 1st IV (who were scratched) and the 2nd IV (who i think had a problem at some stage) Interesting to see their 2nd VIII to come out to play and put pressure on Shore in the heat.

Kings have established their position with already a strong improvement from last year which is good to see, with 4th in both VIII's ahead of Riverview and a strong podium in the 1st IV. Interesting to see them battle it out against Riverview in all events particularly in the 2nd VIII.

Riverview looking very strong in the 1st IV and a podium in the 3rd IV but otherwise it looks like its going to be another long year for the View boys and MD. I personally had high hopes for Riverview but theres a long way to go in the season and they'll get there.

Newington again cementing their position at the back of the pack in all races with not one podium. Likewise with Riverview i was expecting a lot more from Newington this year (with MM returning) but that is not to be for at least the first third of the racing season. Probably didn't help how they are also pretty big boys with a lot of power and just could not utilise it in the tail breeze.

Awesome for Grammar to get up on Newington in the 1st VIII but last for them in the 2nd VIII with several Jr Eights beating their time. Good on them for showing up and competing though

Also kudos to Sydney Boys High for showing up and competing. It just makes the regatta feel more complete with them there.

Not sure how Canberra Grammar are allowed to race their 1st IV in the 2nd IV race. It just seems as though they are robbing proper 2nd IV's of a victory however the points in that race would still go to Shore. Cranbrook and Redlands both look like they move their boats quite well, particularly in their 1st Jr VIII.

It still annoys me how these 3 schools are allowed to enter in an AAGPS event where they can spoil the GPS competition particularly in the fours and i know people will disagree with me but i like my tradition.

Johnny come lately

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Agreed,

I think the non-GPS schools competing is excellent but it's a bit uncool that they cherry pick their events and take the W wherever possible.
Obviously apples aren't apples but it is poor form the way some of these race selections are made.

When a boat can race a certain time it should race according to that, rather than down a grade or two and then spanking the competition.

Anyway, good racing today and plenty of events are far from certainties. Even with the top dogs.

John jones

Frank Row (1)
Are you sure the breakage rule has been abolished ? I was under the impression that for any breakage (even a poor start, as seen in the past) crews can stop before the 250m mark and have the race re-started.

Thanks,
LR
Yes the breakage rule abolished 3 years ago. The umpire can stop a race in the event of a collision as happened last week

John jones

Frank Row (1)
Right so the 20kg of dead weight I carry around on my butt and gut does not impact my movement or speed. Are you kidding me??

I have attached just the one page as a reference. Every 1kg of extra dead weight per rower can decrease the boat speed. I hope your cox does not weigh 8kilos LovToRow. If the minimum weight of a AAGPS cox is 55kg that is an additional 6.875 of weight per rower.

The breakage rules was abolished when I was young and I am old - how does everybody not know that. Don't the coaches teach the rules ? What is the minimum coaching level required to coach in a GPS school? What other rules don't GPS rowers don't know? If you learn to drive a car you learn the rules. Row and race know the rules - there is a link on the Rowing NSW website.

I am sure that when the "winged keel fin" was designed nobody worried about drag, inertial loss and energy loss - I am sure when Crooker designed their new arrows they did not take into consideration weight ?

Well I am feeling light as a feather now - the additional weight does not slow me down at all - I think I might have to have a big butter filled croissant for breakfast. :D:D
In 3 years you have gone from young to old, you age fast, the breakage rule was abolished 3 years ago

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
Another interesting weekend of racing of which i had the pleasure of attending with the tail breeze made the racing a lot closer and exciting particularly in the eights

Shore again winning most of the GPS events with the 1st VIII, 2nd VIII and 3rd and 4th IV's but margins were not as large as last week. The tail breeze probably had an impact on this. Also Shore look as though they have quite heavy crews with some big boys (in the eights) in there which also affects boat speed.

Joeys i think had a very positive day of racing with their 1st VIII closing the gap and their 2nd VIII coming in 2nd which is a big improvement on last weeks 4th. However their 1st IV have taken a step back to 4th and their 2nd IV coming home strongly in 2nd place not to far from the lead and the same can be said for their 4th four. The Joeys 3rd IV didn't have a great day.

Scots also had an okay day getting on the podium in every crew except for the 1st IV (who were scratched) and the 2nd IV (who i think had a problem at some stage) Interesting to see their 2nd VIII to come out to play and put pressure on Shore in the heat.

Kings have established their position with already a strong improvement from last year which is good to see, with 4th in both VIII's ahead of Riverview and a strong podium in the 1st IV. Interesting to see them battle it out against Riverview in all events particularly in the 2nd VIII.

Riverview looking very strong in the 1st IV and a podium in the 3rd IV but otherwise it looks like its going to be another long year for the View boys and MD. I personally had high hopes for Riverview but theres a long way to go in the season and they'll get there.

Newington again cementing their position at the back of the pack in all races with not one podium. Likewise with Riverview i was expecting a lot more from Newington this year (with MM returning) but that is not to be for at least the first third of the racing season. Probably didn't help how they are also pretty big boys with a lot of power and just could not utilise it in the tail breeze.

Awesome for Grammar to get up on Newington in the 1st VIII but last for them in the 2nd VIII with several Jr Eights beating their time. Good on them for showing up and competing though

Also kudos to Sydney Boys High for showing up and competing. It just makes the regatta feel more complete with them there.

Not sure how Canberra Grammar are allowed to race their 1st IV in the 2nd IV race. It just seems as though they are robbing proper 2nd IV's of a victory however the points in that race would still go to Shore. Cranbrook and Redlands both look like they move their boats quite well, particularly in their 1st Jr VIII.

It still annoys me how these 3 schools are allowed to enter in an AAGPS event where they can spoil the GPS competition particularly in the fours and i know people will disagree with me but i like my tradition.

That's a pretty good summary of the day's events. I felt strongly that although Shore had plenty of wins and good margins, there was an air of unpredictability about a lot of races especially the fours.

I don't know how coaches deal with lower crews consistently doing better times than higher, but a couple of the lower fours are outperforming the higher crews on a regular basis. I think the summer break and opportunity for intensive training at camp could see an exciting and volatile competition when school resumes in Term 1.

ColonelM

Frank Row (1)
Agreed again LTR and JCL,

While I don't mean to discredit the effort of the boys involved, it simply isn't fair when a school enters a crew in a lower division. It's a different story in rugby when we're talking about safety, and I see no problem with High and Grammar playing in the 3rd XV, because to do otherwise could be unsafe.

Looking at the rest of the results, it's good to see the spread of the results become much narrower, with much smaller margins in many events (especially 2nd VIII). Could be a week of good training, could be rowers getting over the jitters of their first GPS race, could be the tail breeze.

-M

Attachments

• Results_2x.pdf
    112.4 KB · Views: 254

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
Agreed again LTR and JCL,

While I don't mean to discredit the effort of the boys involved, it simply isn't fair when a school enters a crew in a lower division. It's a different story in rugby when we're talking about safety, and I see no problem with High and Grammar playing in the 3rd XV, because to do otherwise could be unsafe.

Looking at the rest of the results, it's good to see the spread of the results become much narrower, with much smaller margins in many events (especially 2nd VIII). Could be a week of good training, could be rowers getting over the jitters of their first GPS race, could be the tail breeze.

-M

I couldn't agree more. The manipulation of entry requirements by out-of-town or non-GPS schools is my noirest bête.

SBrow

Larry Dwyer (12)
Allegedly KT was seen storming off to drive home after the final - Scots only coming third by less than a second, after being four seconds ahead at the start.

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
Allegedly KT was seen storming off to drive home after the final - Scots only coming third by less than a second, after being four seconds ahead at the start.

Not the first KT tanty, nor will it be the last. Ever heard the expression "Never send a boy to do a man's job."

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)

but not sure which crew/final you're talking about? Scots may have disappointed yesterday but they could hardly be accused of squandering a lead - in most races, including 1st VIII, they were in 3rd place at the 500 mark.

SBrow

Larry Dwyer (12)
but not sure which crew/final you're talking about? Scots may have disappointed yesterday but they could hardly be accused of squandering a lead - in most races, including 1st VIII, they were in 3rd place at the 500 mark.

Kings closed the gap considerably from the 500 onwards until a crab at around the 1500m mark, perhaps this was the root of the tanty?

ColonelM

Frank Row (1)
Kings closed the gap considerably from the 500 onwards until a crab at around the 1500m mark, perhaps this was the root of the tanty?

Looking at the splits in the last 500, it appears that Kings sped up while Scots stayed the same. With Kings pulling the second fastest last 500 in the field and with everyone else getting slower, I'd put it down to a good finish from the Kings boys. The same can be said for them in the heat. I think we can expect some quick finishes from their boat in the future, but if they're several lengths behind through the 1500 then they're not giving themselves much of a chance.

-M

LuvToRo

Chris McKivat (8)
post: 810708, member: 28575"]Allegedly KT was seen storming off to drive home after the final - Scots only coming third by less than a second, after being four seconds ahead at the start.[/quote]

Not only did they come third, the Scots 1st VIII would of come 2nd close to third in the 2nd VIII race. I can't blame KT for his actions.

L

LBA

LuvToRo "Not only did they come third, the Scots 1st VIII would of come 2nd close to third in the 2nd VIII race. I can't blame KT for his actions."
Yes chucking a tanty is a fine example of being a great coach and setting the example of great sportsmanship to the young rowers - NOT !!
Would have should could have - does not count I am sorry. The races are over the results are posted - it is what is it.
I do not like Green Eggs and Ham - I do not like Sam them Sam I am.
I do not like to loose I want to win and if I don't I am going to behave like a child.

L

LBA

quote="John jones, post: 810667, member: 21666"]In 3 years you have gone from young to old, you age fast, the breakage rule was abolished 3 years ago[/quote]
Pretty sure it was longer than three years ago but that could be the alzheimer's kicking in. I will be dead soon at this rate.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Adam, re your preference for this thread to discuss GPS rowing exclusively, please read my post #546 on the 2015 thread. Here's a link: http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/community/threads/2015-schools-rowing.14844/page-28

You're quite right, the vast majority of posts on this, and other rowing, thread(s) do revolve around GPS rowing. However, it's been decided other rowing matters won't be excluded; it'd be a bit snooty not to mention Kinross-Wolaroi, SCEGS Redlands, St Augustine's, Cranbrook et al when they row against GPS schools in warm up regattas. Let's give them some column space in an attempt to increase exposure and participation in this great sport.

Reactions: LBA

LuvToRo

Chris McKivat (8)
Adam, re your preference for this thread to discuss GPS rowing exclusively, please read my post #546 on the 2015 thread. Here's a link: http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/community/threads/2015-schools-rowing.14844/page-28

You're quite right, the vast majority of posts on this, and other rowing, thread(s) do revolve around GPS rowing. However, it's been decided other rowing matters won't be excluded; it'd be a bit snooty not to mention Kinross-Wolaroi, SCEGS Redlands, St Augustine's, Cranbrook et al when they row against GPS schools in warm up regattas. Let's give them some column space in an attempt to increase exposure and participation in this great sport.

I have no problem with these schools participating in the sport but as i said before i like my tradition. What i do have a problem with is these schools entering in AAGPS regattas with no 1st VIII and entering their top four rowers in the fours.When traditionally (10,20,30 years ago) were these schools allowed to enter (even though they may not of had a rowing program). Also as it has already been mentioned that AAGPS schools are not allowed to enter in their regattas. For example last Sunday at the independent schools regatta.

This is a problem that the convenor of AAGPS rowing needs to sort out.

Status
Not open for further replies.