• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2016 Schools rowing

Who will win?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
I am sorry to not reply for a while but i am a firm believer of being innocent until being proven guilty. And if you did know it happened how did you find out? Do you have a very close source to one of the GPS shed. Do you have sour grapes because the school you support isn't winning or do you just like to stir things up?
Come on guys - who hasn't played away games in rugby where A/Bs are scheduled early and mysteriously good players run on as reserves in C/D/E games. I think we are talking Fours here - no biggie. Come race day only one crew can go out.

BOAT

Bob McCowan (2)
Come on guys - who hasn't played away games in rugby where A/Bs are scheduled early and mysteriously good players run on as reserves in C/D/E games. I think we are talking Fours here - no biggie. Come race day only one crew can go out.

Except this is rowing and alot of schools would not allow that

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
Ohhhhh, so that's okay then!!! A bit like getting the strap - we've all experienced it, no biggie!!! No, I don't think so.
May I refer you to the agreed code under which these children compete?
Here are a few highlights:
A Code of Behaviour in Sport
(Revised in 2013 by the Headmasters of the GPS Schools of NSW).

The GPS Headmasters have produced the following guidelines to assist teachers, coaches, boys and parents.
".......care should be taken to exclude from our schools practices which place the pursuit of victory above those aspects of sport concerned with enjoyment, balanced development and good sportsmanship."
"Unfair or illegal tactics to gain an advantage should never be used."
"Common Principles
The Headmasters of the GPS Schools have reaffirmed their commitment to the following principles:
  1. We all value our membership of the GPS. The Heads are committed to maintaining the strength of the Association and recognise that any action taken by an individual school against the spirit of the GPS Code of Practice will have adverse consequences, both on the Association as a whole, and on individual members."
And just to reiterate for those too lazy to click back and read earlier posts:
I was not referring to whole crews or individuals being wrongly graded and put in lower crews. I reported fresh horses being brought in between heats and finals in order to ensure a win (pursuit of victory above good sportsmanship)
I have two unimpeachable sources who witnessed the stacking and one who heard it openly discussed by individuals connected to that school.

It was NOT done as an official substitution.

I have no allegiance to any GPS school.
I have coached sports and other activities, but never rowing.
I am not naming the school because I am not fool enough to invite the inevitable backlash.
I await the next development: at PLC Kings, it will either mysteriously disappear as a practice or it will be exposed.

Now people, take it on board and let it play out.

Easy oar, everybody.

L

LBA

Having spent that last two days at SIRC - with my mouth shut and ears open. Word is spreading that there is one possibly two GPS schools that are refreshing crews between heats and finals.

The hand picked IV mentioned on this forum had a win. SUBC seem to have a junior squad now - wonder what happens when they leave school and don't gain access to Sydney University. Can you still be a member after a certain age and NOT attend Sydney Uni.

Also heard on the grapevine - Joeys not going to NZ this year AIS instead.

No more about the Spectacular best of the best GPS sculling trials.

Kinross had a great weekend - lot's of smiles and lot's of wins. What ever their recipe is I want it?

BOAT

Bob McCowan (2)
Having spent that last two days at SIRC - with my mouth shout and ears open. Word is spreading that there is one possibly two GPS schools that are refreshing crews between heats and finals.

The hand picked IV mentioned on this forum had a win. SUBC seem to have a junior squad now - wonder what happens when they leave school and don't gain access to Sydney University. Can you still be a member after a certain age and NOT attend Sydney Uni.

Also heard on the grapevine - Joeys not going to NZ this year AIS instead.

No more about the Spectacular best of the best GPS sculling trials.

Kinross had a great weekend - lot's of smiles and lot's of wins. What ever their recipe is I want it?

Pretty sure you can row for the boat club just you can't partake in events like the boat race if you are not studying or have studied there

rowbuddy

Frank Nicholson (4)
Pretty sure you can row for the boat club just you can't partake in events like the boat race if you are not studying or have studied there

I am pretty sure that SUBC allows non-Syd Uni students to row, however need to keep the majority of enrolled students.

The M A/B four race was interesting on many levels. The SUBC of handpicked GPS boys won the B - category, the A's were not judged. Second in the Bs was a St Aug combo of Yr11 rowers, which caught a crab after the start, came to stand still and recovered well. Interestingly the place getters after those two were all former GPS folks now rowing at Sydney. Some came back from HSC, but there was a crew of Yr 2014 boys, former Shore an Joeys which finished 3rd.

I guess boys have various priorities and not too much can be read into this result.

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
Either the SUBC crew weren't that great or Augustine's were pretty exceptional. Considering the talent pool each could select from!

BOAT

Bob McCowan (2)
Will anyone be going on live results at 3:52 today as the newzealend Christmas reggata will be held for the top 8 competition which will consist of some GPS schools which are both of shores 8s, also confused as there is a scots boat entered in the heat but not the final ? I have hear rumours of boat malfunction but I don't know if true

Anyway here is the link http://www.rowit.co.nz/results/kric2015r1?en=78&tr=n

L

LBA

I was looking at the results online since the Regatta started. Shore 1st VIII won the A+ final 6:50:20.

I looked at the draw and thought the Shore 2nd VIII made the A final as well but I cannot see them listed in the results. I like the Rowing NZ website you get to see the zoot suit colours - Shore obviously did not send theirs through?? Or something. Maybe the 2nd VIII did not race in the final??

I heard that Scots had not so much of a boat malfunction but rather a collision. But I could be wrong.

SBrow

Larry Dwyer (12)
I was looking at the results online since the Regatta started. Shore 1st VIII won the A+ final 6:50:20.

I looked at the draw and thought the Shore 2nd VIII made the A final as well but I cannot see them listed in the results. I like the Rowing NZ website you get to see the zoot suit colours - Shore obviously did not send theirs through?? Or something. Maybe the 2nd VIII did not race in the final??

I heard that Scots not so much had a boat malfunction but rather a collision. But I could be wrong.

Neither of the scots boats making the finals would make for a quiet flight home.
I did hear rumours of the scots boat having a collision with a quad.

Joeys not racing, eights training at the AIS.
Kings racing at Grafton as usual - reasonable set of results in what appear to be many scratch crews

L

LBA

It would have made for an interesting flight home if Scots and Shore were on the same flight - party party in one isle and very quiet understated behaviour in another.

I have said it before and I will say it again - if you are pushing to hard and hanging on to tight - things slip through your fingers. Maybe KT needs to take a Bex and lie down - that seems to be the forums remedy for over excitement or exertion.

Blink at it will be the New Year and then rowing camps and then crew selections again. Blink twice and it will be the big day! I have circled that date in my calendar already.

Major Rennie

Herbert Moran (7)
It starts in earnest this weekend. Have mates with kids in Shore crews this year and tell me they trained hard and are looking good. Will be hard to beat this year.

Looking forward to seeing some good racing and the Nationals.

MR

SBrow

Larry Dwyer (12)
I have noticed the changes in between riverviews 8s and 1st 4, whats the difference in newingion and king's ? (crew wise)

I think at Newington there were a few people move up from the 2nd eight and a few move into the fours, and one or two moved up at king's, some movement to the fours as well it looks like, although the draw is not always 100% accurate

Major Rennie

Herbert Moran (7)
Shore 1st VIII looked strong today. Their 2nd VIII faster than any of the other schools 1st VIII. The IVs were closer with Iggies surprise winners in 1st IV. KT indeed wont be sleeping well tonight. This wont be their year so the drought continues.......:)

MR

Johnny come lately

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Shore look to have the goods in the VIII's with Joeys in 2nd then the other schools hanging tough.
As mentioned, the IV's more interesting with the 1sts a mixed bag and View continuing their form from last year. Its interesting how good the View 1st IV is compared to the very average performance of their VIII's.
Joeys 2nd IV looked really good and 3rd and 4th IV to Shore with SJC in 2nd pushing Shore along.
SJC 3rd VIII keeps its GPS domination going.

Shore looking dominant as you'd expect from a full-time rowing program, Joeys very competitive and other good boats around keeping Shore in its toes.

Status
Not open for further replies.