• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2016 Schools rowing

Who will win?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
Humble pie has its purpose every now and then.

Still am glad everyone is enjoying the plight of Scots Rowing. I even saw one of those gawdy car stickers for Scots Rowing (God I hate those stickers). I bit my tongue and didn't ask how their year went, oh well, maybe they can throw some cash at the Shore/Joeys/View rowers to build their ranks.

MR
From what I hear (and I hear a lot!) part of the difficulty at Scots and other sheds are the parents. Gone are the days when you could blast a kid for being slack, keeping his crew waiting or dropping out at the last moment without notifying someone. Parents apparently go straight to the top and then it filters down to coaches where they cop the result of a 'formal' informal complaint. I suspect parents are also driving purely academic results over life + academic results that a combo of sport+study provides. It's always been interesting that many top rowers have degrees by the bucketful but still manage both workloads. Many parents are too quick to protect little Johnny or Jill's tertiary ranking over all else.

Yep. I hate that corporate branding too! Part of the 'Scots Advantage' advertising campaign, I suspect.

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
On another note, the NSW Youth 8+ powered through to a good win in tricky cross tail wind conditions. Fair bit of chop, wind pushing boats slightly off keel but the crew (with 6 GPS old boys) shoved it through. The women's NSW Youth 8+ were very disappointing. With all the talent that comes out of their school programmes, dunno what's going on they can't perform better.

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
Also seems a shame the GPS can't use the Nationals as a platform to give their combined GPS 8+ a run in the schoolboys or U19(?). There must be way to promote it and make it happen.

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
Kinross' Director of Rowing is said to move to Newington in same capacity. Will be interesting to see what his impact is in that environment.
Kinross has already started advertising for a coach from the UK, infinity or beyond judging from an online forum. Maybe because more schools in the UK are co-ed, they feel a Head of Rowing may be a better fit to their programme. I think they recognize the value of a top flight rowing programme and have the money!

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
Also, just to throw it out there. After Joeys had to wait 42 years, I think next year may be Riverview. It'll be their 42 anniversary to break the drought. Won't be sonething lost on Doyle. Did the Rabbitohs wait 42 years as well? Is it truly the answer to the meaning of life?

IV The Win

Peter Burge (5)
Also, just to throw it out there. After Joeys had to wait 42 years, I think next year may be Riverview. It'll be their 42 anniversary to break the drought. Won't be sonething lost on Doyle. Did the Rabbitohs wait 42 years as well? Is it truly the answer to the meaning of life?
Although I do appreciate this being more poetic than literal, I don't think that 2017 will be the year of the Riverview. Although their 1st VIII did do well on the day, the rest of their crews were all over the place. Although there are exceptions, usually a strong junior VIII brings strong senior crews.

llonzy

Bob McCowan (2)
Although I do appreciate this being more poetic than literal, I don't think that 2017 will be the year of the Riverview. Although their 1st VIII did do well on the day, the rest of their crews were all over the place. Although there are exceptions, usually a strong junior VIII brings strong senior crews.

After Shore has dominated the last two years of Junior VIII's, it's looking highly likely that they will retain the Major Rennie again!

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
After Shore has dominated the last two years of Junior VIII's, it's looking highly likely that they will retain the Major Rennie again!

Given the improved results of Riverview, Joeys and even Scots/Kings in Year 10 VIIIs, I think it augurs well for thrilling racing. Given also the "Year 13" factor in the Shore 1sts this year and the Year 11 contingent in other crews, it could get more interesting than Shore might enjoy. Come 2017 anything is possible.

Major Rennie

Herbert Moran (7)
What is the Year 13 factor, is this Tom Barnes ?

Anything can happen between seasons though think Shore will be very hard to beat the next 2 years. A lot of depth again next year and will see how good next years Yr 10 1st VIII is. Riverview also looking strong in the juniors which is good to see.

MR

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
I'm pretty sure we were told on this forum that 2 or possibly 3 of the Shore 1st VIII were Pathways students returning for their third year in seniors. I'm not a critic of pathways, far from it, but it must have made a huge difference to the crew this year. Whereas Joeys had, according to the commentary on the day, a mostly young crew with up to 5 seats doing their first senior hotr. That alone could account for the dramatic margin between 1st and 3rd place. I haven't heard any such detail about the View crew which came 2nd, maybe someone can colour in that diagram for us?

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
As a Shore rowing parent, I can confirm that there was only one pathway rower this year in the senior crews, whose name was mentioned previously. All other rowers in the GPS crews are current Yr 12 and Yr 11 students, none of whom are Yr 13. Just an exceptionally hardworking and talented bunch of kids!

So as an admitted Shore parent can you confirm that some weeks are spent in accommodations at the shed during the latter part of the season?

And as for "exceptionally hardworking", is that to say they worked harder, trained harder than previous years? This forum is hungry for your insights.

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
As a Shore rowing parent, I can confirm that there was only one pathway rower this year in the senior crews, whose name was mentioned previously. All other rowers in the GPS crews are current Yr 12 and Yr 11 students, none of whom are Yr 13. Just an exceptionally hardworking and talented bunch of kids!

But four returning from last year's 1st VIII and four from Year 10 1st VIII is a strong balance. Interesting that no-one moved up from any other crew from the previous year.

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
Yes they have two live in weeks during term 1..and they work as hard as the coaches make them...no different I'm sure to any other serious shed. Four of the rowers are current Yr 11's, so I would suggest they will be very competitive next season, given the success of the Yr 10's this season.

Live-in weeks with training and no school?

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Didn't Scots set the precedent a few years ago for overnighting at their renovated boat shed? Seems like a good idea to me - row in the afternoon, dinner and homework under teacher supervision, sleep in dorms on top of the shed, up early and straight onto the water without wasted travel time. Even one night a week would be a benefit.

Status
Not open for further replies.