• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2016 Schools rowing

Who will win?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
But four returning from last year's 1st VIII and four from Year 10 1st VIII is a strong balance. Interesting that no-one moved up from any other crew from the previous year.
The curse of the 2nd VIII struck again with a couple of boys repeating in that crew (including one who rowed 1st VIII the previous season at Aust championships IIRC).

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
Yep. I think those in a second eight are sometimes caught between a rock and a hard place. They are inevitably the less muscular of the senior rowers (1st VIII are usually taller, stronger) and then you have the strongest, tallest and most talented of the Year 10s coming through. It isn't automatic making the second VIII means you'll get into the first VIII just by working hard (which they do.)

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Didn't Scots set the precedent a few years ago for overnighting at their renovated boat shed? Seems like a good idea to me - row in the afternoon, dinner and homework under teacher supervision, sleep in dorms on top of the shed, up early and straight onto the water without wasted travel time. Even one night a week would be a benefit.

I recollect in the 70's seeing beds above the boats in the Shore shed though!

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
I recollect in the 70's seeing beds above the boats in the Shore shed though!
I was there in the 70's and early 80's and there was always a rowing camp the last week of school holidays. The senior crews all slept on site in the dorm above the boatshed

I assumed this still happens today.

What's more I thought the other schools had similar programs

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
It's common practice for a few of the schools, I have heard. Can't see an issue with "train, study and sleep, train then school". Makes some sense, given the sport and when ideal training conditions exist.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

rowbuddy

Frank Nicholson (4)
NSW Pathway 8+ has been announced, any thoughts on it? Seems a scratch crew with Joeys, New and Auggies. I guess it can click or go like a dog.

Also other GPS kids try their luck for the green and gold in the quad (Shore/Sydney) and straight four/pair (Joeys/Scots/Sydney Uni).

Trials are this week, with Pathway 8+s on Wed and the small/medium boats on Thu-Sun.

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
NSW Pathway 8+ has been announced, any thoughts on it? Seems a scratch crew with Joeys, New and Auggies. I guess it can click or go like a dog.

Also other GPS kids try their luck for the green and gold in the quad (Shore/Sydney) and straight four/pair (Joeys/Scots/Sydney Uni).

Trials are this week, with Pathway 8+s on Wed and the small/medium boats on Thu-Sun.
Where can you view the list? RNSW?

Armstrong

Stan Wickham (3)
Rowing Victoria has all start lists and results on their website for all crews NSW did 6.32, tanked in heat 2, Victory did 5.51 on Thurs and 5.58 on Sunday, will know on Weds if they go to To Junior Worlds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I was there in the 70's and early 80's and there was always a rowing camp the last week of school holidays. The senior crews all slept on site in the dorm above the boatshed

I assumed this still happens today.

What's more I thought the other schools had similar programs

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk
Apart from SJC and SIC (who were not on the Parra) all schools did it in the 70's - not that it helped shore much!
On another note........Ollie Schwartz from the 2016 Sydney Grammar
1st VIII was selected in the Australian youth coxed IV to go to the worlds - the only youth crew selected.
I assume his mate from the pair, last year's SJC stroke was also picked.
Well done - though his presence at 13 in the SGS 1st XV will be sorely missed.

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
RA has all crews up. Rowing Vic has info from every day of trials. Looks like the NSW youth VIII tanked pretty badly. The Shore crews from HOTR would have run them over if they had been in the mix.

rowbuddy

Frank Nicholson (4)
Agree re NSW, however four from the 1st Shore VIII got picked as quad in Sydney RC colours. The VIC 8+ was very strong, however the 5:51 were in strong tailwind and the best time in neutral conditions was 5:58. At the end they were a scratch crew - like NSW - from Geelong/Wesley/Hawthorn and one other shed. Qualy time was 5:51.7, which is reasonable when the medal goes for sub 5:42.

Stand out for me was the Shore 1st VIII stroke did very well in the single, by winning over the super kid from QLD in 7:12. Shows how strong both scullers are. The QLD sculler however is still Y10 or U17!

Armstrong

Stan Wickham (3)
Correction: The Junior quad scull; 3 Shore boys, 2 of whom are Yr 11, one is Yr 13, the 4 th boy is from Concord High Yr 12, all these boys row out of SRC when not school rowing. The Aust Junior coxed 4 all 5 are from last years Joeys 1st 8,,boys who were coached under Sarah Cook now row out of SUBC

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Good to see the encouragement of elite schoolboy rowers into senior rowing, it's one sport where there's traditionally been a sharp fall off of schoolboys continuing in the sport.

Dunno about girls.

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
Correction: The Junior quad scull; 3 Shore boys, 2 of whom are Yr 11, one is Yr 13, the 4 th boy is from Concord High Yr 12, all these boys row out of SRC when not school rowing. The Aust Junior coxed 4 all 5 are from last years Joeys 1st 8,,boys who were coached under Sarah Cook now row out of SUBC

You are only partly right about the four.. Not all from last year - from what I can work out, three of them are still in school. Stroke of last year's winning SJC 1st VIII plus another from that crew who became stroke this year. One from this year's 1st VIII. Another from this year's Grammar 1st VIII. Coxswain from 2015 SJC. Seems they all did well in pairs also, and in coxless four. Looks like they clicked in a way the Pathways VIII didn't.

SBrow

Larry Dwyer (12)
You are only partly right about the four.. Not all from last year - from what I can work out, three of them are still in school. Stroke of last year's winning SJC 1st VIII plus another from that crew who became stroke this year. One from this year's 1st VIII. Another from this year's Grammar 1st VIII. Coxswain from 2015 SJC. Seems they all did well in pairs also, and in coxless four. Looks like they clicked in a way the NSW Youth VIII didn't.

Its made up of this years SJC stern pair, a boy from SJC last year, the cox from SJC last year, and a boy from SGS this year. I believe they had been rowing together for a while, first with the intention of qualifying britt/schwartz in the pair, then all four as the coxless four, then this week were asked to trial as a coxed four, and to my knowledge they had all been rowing together all season as opposed to the youth VIII's measly week or two

It is funny how two of that four (this years SJC boys), as well as one of the sydney quad, were not in the GPS eight, bet they dont care so much anymore

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
J
RA has all crews up. Rowing Vic has info from every day of trials. Looks like the NSW youth VIII tanked pretty badly. The Shore crews from HOTR would have run them over if they had been in the mix.
Let's correct that... The NSW Youth 8+ (U21) won the interstate regatta in 5:40sec. Hardly a tank. The NSW Junior Pathway 8+ is whom to you are referring. They were a scratch crew thrown together without much hope. They never represented their state under the blue colours.

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
You are only partly right about the four.. Not all from last year - from what I can work out, three of them are still in school. Stroke of last year's winning SJC 1st VIII plus another from that crew who became stroke this year. One from this year's 1st VIII. Another from this year's Grammar 1st VIII. Coxswain from 2015 SJC. Seems they all did well in pairs also, and in coxless four. Looks like they clicked in a way the NSW Youth VIII didn't.
Think we have to stop referring to them as the NSW Youth 8+. They were a Pathway Junior 8+ from NSW (could have been one of many) who never represented NSW. There is a difference and we have to be clear. Confusion reigns and mythologies are started.

Status
Not open for further replies.