• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2016 Schools rowing

Who will win?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
Its made up of this years SJC stern pair, a boy from SJC last year, the cox from SJC last year, and a boy from SGS this year. I believe they had been rowing together for a while, first with the intention of qualifying britt/schwartz in the pair, then all four as the coxless four, then this week were asked to trial as a coxed four, and to my knowledge they had all been rowing together all season as opposed to the youth VIII's measly week or two

It is funny how two of that four (this years SJC boys), as well as one of the sydney quad, were not in the GPS eight, bet they dont care so much anymore
Completely different process of trying out. Highlights the disconnect between GPS system and RA or RNSW selection trial process. Sarah Cook obviously saw an opportunity to trial as a 4- (which was then selected as a 4+ by RA). Goes to show if you do train together for an extended timeframe you can improve rather than throwing together scratch crews and crossing your fingers like the Pathway Junior 8+. You're better off training in smaller crews and sticking together. SRC obviously had the same approach with the quad. RA is always going to avoid selecting an 8+ unless it is exceptional with undeniable prognostics (their budget only extends to sending their staff overseas let alone a full eight!)

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
J
Let's correct that. The NSW Youth 8+ (U21) won the interstate regatta in 5:40sec. Hardly a tank. The NSW Junior Pathway 8+ is whom to you are referring. They were a scratch crew thrown together without much hope. They never represented their state under the blue colours.

A thousand apologies. You are absolutely right - this is how a stupid thread of misnomers gets started. I'll edit my post. I meant the Pathways eight. We had been talking exclusively of trials results for so long that I forgot my terminology.

Strange to me how crews are selected. Where is that cracker Youth VIII who you rightly pointed out did so bloody well at nationals? Why were they not selected as an VIII for August?

rowbuddy

Frank Nicholson (4)
A thousand apologies. You are absolutely right - this is how a stupid thread of misnomers gets started. I'll edit my post. I meant the Pathways eight. We had been talking exclusively of trials results for so long that I forgot my terminology.

Strange to me how crews are selected. Where is that cracker Youth VIII who you rightly pointed out did so bloody well at nationals? Why were they not selected as an VIII for August?
In theory, the fastest SB 8+s in Australia like Shore, Scotch, MGS or last year Nudgee. All of them are capable of doing the cut off time of 5:51.7 in neutral conditions. Scotch did it in 2013, sponsored by one family. Cost is one thing, other commitments another, let alone a GPS Schools approval to send the kids.

In general it's often their HSC year and trials are on before they leave o/s and exams start the week when they are coming back. Now, get a family to spend a fortune on elite school education and in the months before the final exam they go and represent AUS. They will often say, that they can row at Uni and beyond as much as they like.

The kids who are choosing to go usually making their minds up early, planning their academic schedules, care less than others or hope the 5 extra ATAR points for being an AUS rep help compensating.

I agree with long versus short term approach and keeping crews small and competitive is the key. Working RA's system is another, the U19 M8+ of 5:51 is achievable, but who has seen a U19 pair going 6:44 or a 4- 6:11?

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)

Apology accepted! Regarding the NSW Youth 8+, you would think they should be an automatic Australian U21 National 8+ but a few things happen. First some of the crew are heading to the US and so dont make themselves available. Second - the U21 team has to be made up of both lightweight rowers, scullers and heavyweights (only six spots open to heavyweights - two scullers and four sweep). So the best '8' isn't the aim as crew members have to also row as a lightweight 2x or 2- and there's a single sculler and a heavyweight 4+ (correct me if wrong). So the 8+ is never going to be the 'best' 8 rowers (there is no seat racing for selection and the reserve has to be a lightweight rower). NZ does the same and they row two regattas - SIRC and a return rubber in NZ.

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
Scots: already a spent force. After only a couple of years posing a serious threat in several divisions, the KT train has derailed. Major change required this season.

New: still in the wilderness. I'd predict that a five-year plan is needed, at the very least, to rebuild that program.

Shore: will continue to dominate. Sacrifices, compromises and accommodations are made for this program which other schools simply will not make; several other schools have the talent, coaching and resources to beat Shore but none has the naked determination to win at all costs and above all else.

Grammar: will continue on its quiet-achieving way. It could be time for Boo Radley to come out from behind the door and go back to full-time plumbing.

Joeys: will push Shore all the way. No signs of a dip in quality since the 2015 win; always a contender.

View: the ones to watch in 2016-17. Last season opened the door a crack to reveal the quality that came from crucial changes of personnel; this season could be the Cinderella story.

High: will debate well.

Augs, Cranbrook and Kinross: will continue to claim "glory" for their top crews in lower divisions. Despite widespread rower/coach/supporter unhappiness with this practice, there's no sign that RNSW will crack down on it.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Don't rate King's, bts?

Please put all future posts over on the 2017 thread. Copy your one above if you like.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Re:locking of 2017 Rowing thread, as an outsider lookign in, and having just read a bit of it for the first time, and seeing all the member names I've never seen before elsewhere on the forus, got me wondering; how is it so many rowing people manage to congregate at an Aus rugby forum, and then never make a single post about rugby, only about rowing? Not knocking it mind you.

Is there a dedicated Aus rowing forum out there with an off-topic section housing a congregation who discuss Aus schoolboy rugby and nothing else?

--Confused of Onehunga.

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
Re:locking of 2017 Rowing thread, as an outsider lookign in, and having just read a bit of it for the first time, and seeing all the member names I've never seen before elsewhere on the forus, got me wondering; how is it so many rowing people manage to congregate at an Aus rugby forum, and then never make a single post about rugby, only about rowing? Not knocking it mind you.

Is there a dedicated Aus rowing forum out there with an off-topic section housing a congregation who discuss Aus schoolboy rugby and nothing else?

--Confused of Onehunga.
Dismal, most have more than one sign in but to get respect on rowing thread you need rowing related name which doesn't garner respect on other threads. So behindthesheds is really Inside Shoulder, SIRCWATCH is RugbyMum2, and LuvToRow is really fatprop, Quick Hands is Quick Hands because that works on both.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
yes, important point of difference clarification there, you dont want to be mistaken for Gagger's handle of "GitmoBurnCrackWaterBoarder".

Waiopehu Oldboy daftly signing up for rowing thread row as "Waipu Cove Oldboy" and thinking no one would guess its him. DUMBARSE. Needs more work on degrees of separation. MORAN.

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)

--Confused of Onehunga.
Dismal, the fact that the thread is locked is evidence that these children (aka parents) can't be trusted with their own website and need to be on GAGR for their own safety.

Andrew B Cox

Sydney Middleton (9)
Boy! What just happened? The other night I dipped into the forum, answering a fairly loaded question honestly, and went to bed. I had a look yesterday and the thread is locked, as well as a number of posts removed. All I can say is lucky I missed it!

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
And this one is locked too. Before it becomes the new cess-pool.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Status
Not open for further replies.