• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2016 Schools rowing

Who will win?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MKBoating

Frank Row (1)
Don't try and guess my affiliation to any GPS school MKBoating you will be very disappointed. If you are capable of reading (take the time to read last years forum) - I came to this forum looking to learn about GPS Rowing.

SBrow - it is not a Regatta this weekend - go to the Rowing NSW website Scullers Head of the Nepean - No VIII's. Look at the draw a couple of single scullers from Newington that is it.

Are you sure your name is not Pauline Hanson - Please Explain ??

What I was trying to say was - if Joeys had an VIII on the water in my part of the world I would see them - there is only one pontoon. The rowing world is a small community.

MKBoating - If you made the announcement that that any GPS school had "handed out" seats I would have pounced. I drink lots of coffee my friend and have lots of barnacles. You have your sources and I have mine.
I think you have an affiliation to Cerise and Blue once you get out of nappies you might like to wear pretty pink or blue dresses.

Maybe you don't actually row MKBoating - the boys training hard to do their very best in the crew selections would not really have time to waste tapping away on keyboard.

Don't doubt my ability to train hard...
And Maybe you should stop typing if you have never actually experienced the sport!
Pink and Blue Dress!? I am proud to row for my school, and I assure you it is not joeys!
Maybe you and your lower class education should find another forum!

SBrow

Larry Dwyer (12)
Don't try and guess my affiliation to any GPS school MKBoating you will be very disappointed. If you are capable of reading (take the time to read last years forum) - I came to this forum looking to learn about GPS Rowing.

SBrow - it is not a Regatta this weekend - go to the Rowing NSW website Scullers Head of the Nepean - No VIII's. Look at the draw a couple of single scullers from Newington that is it.

Are you sure your name is not Pauline Hanson - Please Explain ??

What I was trying to say was - if Joeys had an VIII on the water in my part of the world I would see them - there is only one pontoon. The rowing world is a small community.

MKBoating - If you made the announcement that that any GPS school had "handed out" seats I would have pounced. I drink lots of coffee my friend and have lots of barnacles. You have your sources and I have mine.
I think you have an affiliation to Cerise and Blue once you get out of nappies you might like to wear pretty pink or blue dresses.

Maybe you don't actually row MKBoating - the boys training hard to do their very best in the crew selections would not really have time to waste tapping away on keyboard.

I think you should check up one what a regatta is, "a sporting event involving boat and yacht races", the Scullers Head of the Nepean is a regatta, just a Head race for single sculls. It happens to be one which obstructs the entire river, and fills it with scullers even before/after the race, making training in an eight rather difficult.

bow seat

Frank Nicholson (4)
"Zero to a hundred real quick", somewhat describes this forum at the moment in my humble opinion.

On the side of schools buying new technologies, pressure gates? Are we serious? I suppose the schools will also be monitoring the exact amount of calories each boy is putting in and burning off. Also while they're at it lets throw in a new VIII, ooo and maybe some new high tech oars, cause that makes all the difference, isn't that how it works? More money into it = better results?

Most schools would make drastic improvements just by looking at the way they row, you have to learn to walk before you can run.

SBrow

Larry Dwyer (12)
Oh - no I cannot row down the river because it is obstructed. Seriously your poor parents are paying good money for your school fees and you are in study chatting on forum.

I am going to cry into a glass of red - I might use my degrees to wipe the tears from eyes - why because I am actually old enough to drink :D:D

Dear God of Rowing why didn't I get to go to a GPS school and be surrounded by smart intelligent people.

Please keep in mind you are on here to learn about the GPS competition, so I think I speak on behalf of these boys when I say that you should treat them with more respect, rather than sarcasm and rude comments. It is, after all, just a school sport, these are not professional athletes and as you keenly pointed out, they are underage.

L

LBA

Finally somebody with something interesting to say.

Go bow wow seat !

Maybe the rowers in the GPS competition will race like that - zero to 100 in the first five hundred metres and then die in the ass.

Thank goodness for my poor education and lack of knowledge - my parents would be so proud.

SBrow

Larry Dwyer (12)
OMG - I like have to treat the boys with respect while they are being rude and disrespectful to me - is that how the game is played,

I don't think any of these boys have actually said anything directly to you, while you have made remarks about them wasting their parents money, while it could be argued that you are wasting your own time here being baited by such childish remarks, I think you need to stop denying everything people are saying and ask some questions if, in fact, you are here to learn.

bow seat

Frank Nicholson (4)
Finally somebody with something interesting to say.

Go bow wow seat !

Maybe the rowers in the GPS competition will race like that - zero to 100 in the first five hundred metres and then die in the ass.

Thank goodness for my poor education and lack of knowledge - my parents would be so proud.
Don't get me wrong LBA, I'm all for the improvement in sports technology to better results. I just feel some schools ( not saying who ) could get a lot of improvement just by looking at the way they row and the way that they race.

Reactions: LBA
L

LBA

Wishing everybody success on and off the water this season.

bow seat - could not agree with you more.

I think my days of learning about GPS rowing are over. I will continue to read and of course support all the GPS schools.

I found participating in the forum last year really interesting - this year not so much.

To all the rowers - there is a huge team of volunteers who make sure the season goes well without these people things would be very different. Appreciate all that they do - sometimes you see them and sometimes you don't.

Wear hat, sunglasses and sun screen.

Another Bex powder for me :p

LuvToRo

Chris McKivat (8)
I have a variety of very reliable sources re. shore pressure gates. Which in my opinion is overboard for a school boy rowing crew! Never the less if that is what they wish to do, good luck!
As for Joeys obviously LBA is affiliated with the school and something I said must have been true for that reaction, I do apologise for my careless language! But seriously just chill! And I do have sources saying the first eight coach is already telling people seats in the 8!

I don't think that pressure gates are overboard. They are an extremely good investment. It means you will have the absolute strongest crew available to you and will reduce the amount of time it takes to select. In my opinion well played Shore!

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
Definitely a wind up happening here. There would be no selection at Joeys happening. Cook, Shirlaw and Lane wouldn't even consider it. There's still rugby to be played and plenty of time to get on the water. I have seen the odd four on the water but that's about it. Just a paddle for those who want a row. No biggie for anyone. If technology wins you races then proof would have been in the pudding years ago. GPS crews usually have the best equipment compared to (non commercial clubs) so everyone has got the gear... But do they have the programme and ticker?

bow seat

Frank Nicholson (4)
Definitely a wind up happening here. There would be no selection at Joeys happening. Cook, Shirlaw and Lane wouldn't even consider it. There's still rugby to be played and plenty of time to get on the water. I have seen the odd four on the water but that's about it. Just a paddle for those who want a row. No biggie for anyone. If technology wins you races then proof would have been in the pudding years ago. GPS crews usually have the best equipment compared to (non commercial clubs) so everyone has got the gear. But do they have the programme and ticker?

Couldn't have said better myself

SBrow

Larry Dwyer (12)
A comment on equipment - although for quite some time GPS schools have had the best equipment, it was, for quite a while, that they all had very similar equipment. E.g. the podium in 2013 had 3 Wintech boats, 2 in 2014, and 1 in 2015. In 2014 there were only 3 or 4 different brands across the competition, less in the fours. But this year, if I am correct, there will be 5 or 6, with many schools looking for more expensive foreign boats (ignatius with empacher, scots with felippi, shore with hudson, and Joeys with an NZ brand).
Point being, competition is changing, becoming more elite. This season is going to be very competitive to say the least.

LuvToRo

Chris McKivat (8)
A comment on equipment - although for quite some time GPS schools have had the best equipment, it was, for quite a while, that they all had very similar equipment. E.g. the podium in 2013 had 3 Wintech boats, 2 in 2014, and 1 in 2015. In 2014 there were only 3 or 4 different brands across the competition, less in the fours. But this year, if I am correct, there will be 5 or 6, with many schools looking for more expensive foreign boats (ignatius with empacher, scots with felippi, shore with hudson, and Joeys with an NZ brand).
Point being, competition is changing, becoming more elite. This season is going to be very competitive to say the least.

I believe that the NZ brand is KIRS (Kiwi International Rowing Skiffs) which Shore have rowed with for many many years under Bob Shirlaw who has now taken that to Joeys. The last year that a Shore first eight rowed in one of these boats was in 2010 since then they have had 1 Empacher and 4 years of Wintech and now a Hudson.
It is like when Joeys had their Vespoli quite a few years ago now and thought 'this will make a big difference'. At the end of the day A better crew will beat any an average crew in a Empacher for example.

SBrow

Larry Dwyer (12)
I believe that the NZ brand is KIRS (Kiwi International Rowing Skiffs) which Shore have rowed with for many many years under Bob Shirlaw who has now taken that to Joeys. The last year that a Shore first eight rowed in one of these boats was in 2010 since then they have had 1 Empacher and 4 years of Wintech and now a Hudson.
It is like when Joeys had their Vespoli quite a few years ago now and thought 'this will make a big difference'. At the end of the day A better crew will beat any an average crew in a Empacher for example.

Yes of course, it's always who's in the boat that matters, look at Scots and Grammar the last few years. However, the smaller the boat, the more these things matter, if a school were to suddenly invest lots of money in their fours, that may make quite the difference.

RowingLAD101

Frank Row (1)
Joeys and Scots are training together. I saw two eights side by side earlier this morning does anyone else have any knowledge of this? Would be extremely surprised if this was the case.

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
Much healthy competition between the two but also a fair amount of genuine enmity considering how abruptly KT left one and went to the other.

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
You either saw two schoolboy crews in crew training zooties with respective oars in school livery or you didn't. Why ask for confirmation if you saw them? If you have to ask it's because you're making it up. You have to stop confusing a few old boys rowing in their old school zooties and making wild assumptions.

Status
Not open for further replies.