• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2016 Schools rowing

Who will win?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
I dont see the problem in naming boys, the GPS rugby thread constantly has names shown everywhere

That's true. On the RUGBY forums they do name names. If you look back over this forum and the previous couple of years, you will find that in the ROWING thread, we don't. If a boy has a national profile already, like a Schramko or a Bakker, that's different - they are already being discussed in the mainstream media. Likewise, the rugby players are frequently discussed in mainstream sports media, as individuals and teams, so no need to treat them anonymously. Surely you can see, however, that detailed analysis of where a boy went to primary school, who his father is, which crew he was in at the start of Year 7, how much he now weighs and whether or not he is due to be stroke of the first or dropped down to the thirds.......surely you can see how damaging that could be for any young man?

I love the gossip, innuendo and unconfirmed scandal of this site. Like others, I will go the merciless ridicule or provocative speculation without hesitation. It's fun, like BS-ing in the pub, but it's mostly harmless because we don't name any kid. Often we all know who we are talking about; but we can have a clear conscience because we know that the casual lurk by a 15 year old who fluked his way across the forum doesn't see his name there being built up or torn apart by anonymous voices. This is what we are trying to teach the coming generation about the responsibilities which accompany technology. So, deez ebola nuts, you don't see the problem - that's fine, you don't have to. Others do, so respect it.

Adam Robertson

Frank Row (1)
Back to the question of pressure gates, what was wrong with watching the puddles to see how hard people are pulling, or don't puddles mean anything anymore.

LuvToRo

Chris McKivat (8)
Back to the question of pressure gates, what was wrong with watching the puddles to see how hard people are pulling, or don't puddles mean anything anymore.

I respect your point and i also understand that there was a time when pressure gates didn't exist but can you really tell who is working hard by puddles. You can still generate a strong looking puddle with less effort and using momentum especially in an eight where there is a lot of power coming from the other 7 rowers and the fact that you can hide in an eight. A good measure for seeing how hard people are pulling is seeing the clearance, how far the puddles are going behind the boat. Which in a sense makes you have a good point.
However you can't put a figure on the looks of a puddle, whereas with electronic telemetry it gives you figures.
I agree that you have a very good point (looking at puddles) but with selecting a first eight where it is marginal from 2nd eight rowers, the pressure gates gives you more refinement and precise information. In other words, if you take a 1st eight rower and a 2nd eight rower both of their puddles are going to look very similar if not the same if you can pick the difference.

Maybe for fours and JR eights looking at the puddles is fine.

Adam Robertson

Frank Row (1)
The only concern that i would have with these pressure gates is how the weight of each individual rowers would be accounted for, and whether this would lead to the mentality of "I'm lighter therefore i don't have to pull as hard".

LuvToRo

Chris McKivat (8)
The only concern that i would have with these pressure gates is how the weight of each individual rowers would be accounted for, and whether this would lead to the mentality of "I'm lighter therefore i don't have to pull as hard".

You might be right but i think its more pulling your body weight and any extra is bonus

LuvToRo

Chris McKivat (8)
What do we think of the return of Michael Morgan? Will it help Newingtons' chances come HOTR?

Look, for sure he is a legendary coach but he has been out of the game for a while now unlike Bob Shirlaw who has brought success to Joeys. If MM has the right personell then maybe New have a chance but i can't imagine him molding anyone to be race winners. But you never know. Just my opinion. New have nothing to lose by appointing him.

SBrow

Larry Dwyer (12)
Look, for sure he is a legendary coach but he has been out of the game for a while now unlike Bob Shirlaw who has brought success to Joeys. If MM has the right personell then maybe New have a chance but i can't imagine him molding anyone to be race winners. But you never know. Just my opinion. New have nothing to lose by appointing him.

Get ready for the hoardes of New supporters telling you otherwise

Sweepoar

Frank Row (1)
This page's predictions and speculation are certainly interesting, but i dont see what exactly they are based on. The assumption that Newington will do well this year seems especially unsubstantiated and given the results of previous years it is frankly impossible that they will knock off such strong rowing schools like Joey's and SHORE.

With that in mind i'll give my own prediction - based off the crews i've seen out training and the results of previous years.(but there hasn't been a single race yet so this is still speculative)

1st - Shore with an outstanding yr 10 VII which smashed the comp last year by open water every race and a solid 2nd placed 2nd VII Shore have the best prospects. combined with a rowing culture which consistently produces results they should be the favourites

2nd- Joeys a very strong yr 10 eight and the best rowing program at any of the schools. with 5 morning water sessions a week they will do very strongly.

3rd- Scots having produced solid results and a huge rowing budget scots has a lot of potential. They won the 2nd eight last year and placed second in the first 8. Scots no doubt has a good program and the boys have the work ethic to match

4th- Kings, with an incredibly young first eight last year with a 5- 6 yr 11s in the first eight and a 3rd place 1st yr 10 eight king have good prospects. However with their lackluster performance over recent years i dont think their coach and culture is on par with joeys or shore.

5th St Ignatius with a mediocre yr 10 VIII and nothing special coming up i cant see this being the year Iggies break the podium. happy to be proved wrong but there don't seem to be signs of anything extraordinary. with the last win way back in 1973 its been a hell of a time since they last won

6th Grammar - this is not going to be the year for the boys in black. After a strong crew last year which ranked 3rd over the season but dissapointed on the day, this year is probably going to be about rebuilding. Im told they have a large percentage of year 11's but two freaky year 12s with sub 620 erg scores and the scull scores to match. Don't write them off as grammar crews usually improve over the season but i don't really think they can make the podium.

7th Newington. I know everyone is talking them up so much but it seems to be completely groundless. Their yr 10 eight was very weak and finished behind grammar in most races. Further newington dont have anything unique that will help them make the podium. no freak down at 6;10 or anyone who has the expierience at rowing at a competitive level. They were out sculling the other day and were doing some pieces. This could have been a not top groub but they were getting blitzed by some Grammar boys. Anyway, i dont think the so called super coach isnthat much better then all the others (esp Shirlaw from Joeys) and even if he was the results will come in a few years time not right away.

8th - High, uncompetitive trend should continue.

born-red

Chris McKivat (8)
7th Newington. I know everyone is talking them up so much but it seems to be completely groundless. Their yr 10 eight was very weak and finished behind grammar in most races. Further newington dont have anything unique that will help them make the podium. no freak down at 6;10 or anyone who has the expierience at rowing at a competitive level. They were out sculling the other day and were doing some pieces. This could have been a not top groub but they were getting blitzed by some Grammar boys. Anyway, i dont think the so called super coach isnthat much better then all the others (esp Shirlaw from Joeys) and even if he was the results will come in a few years time not right away.

Newington Coach bailed at end of term 3, something about not being convinced the school would actually make the changes needed over time.

LuvToRo

Chris McKivat (8)
This page's predictions and speculation are certainly interesting, but i dont see what exactly they are based on. The assumption that Newington will do well this year seems especially unsubstantiated and given the results of previous years it is frankly impossible that they will knock off such strong rowing schools like Joey's and SHORE.

With that in mind i'll give my own prediction - based off the crews i've seen out training and the results of previous years.(but there hasn't been a single race yet so this is still speculative)

1st - Shore with an outstanding yr 10 VII which smashed the comp last year by open water every race and a solid 2nd placed 2nd VII Shore have the best prospects. combined with a rowing culture which consistently produces results they should be the favourites

2nd- Joeys a very strong yr 10 eight and the best rowing program at any of the schools. with 5 morning water sessions a week they will do very strongly.

3rd- Scots having produced solid results and a huge rowing budget scots has a lot of potential. They won the 2nd eight last year and placed second in the first 8. Scots no doubt has a good program and the boys have the work ethic to match

4th- Kings, with an incredibly young first eight last year with a 5- 6 yr 11s in the first eight and a 3rd place 1st yr 10 eight king have good prospects. However with their lackluster performance over recent years i dont think their coach and culture is on par with joeys or shore.

5th St Ignatius with a mediocre yr 10 VIII and nothing special coming up i cant see this being the year Iggies break the podium. happy to be proved wrong but there don't seem to be signs of anything extraordinary. with the last win way back in 1973 its been a hell of a time since they last won

6th Grammar - this is not going to be the year for the boys in black. After a strong crew last year which ranked 3rd over the season but dissapointed on the day, this year is probably going to be about rebuilding. Im told they have a large percentage of year 11's but two freaky year 12s with sub 620 erg scores and the scull scores to match. Don't write them off as grammar crews usually improve over the season but i don't really think they can make the podium.

8th - High, uncompetitive trend should continue.

Yes finally someone who backs me up on Newington. I have to say Joeys has an equal best program with Shore with Scots next. Shore will still be hanging on to all of the processes embedded by Bob Shirlaw especially with DJ still coaching.

41 days and counting to the Grammar Regatta where all will be revealed.

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
Yes finally someone who backs me up on Newington. I have to say Joeys has an equal best program with Shore with Scots next. Shore will still be hanging on to all of the processes embedded by Bob Shirlaw especially with DJ still coaching.

41 days and counting to the Grammar Regatta where all will be revealed.

I completely agree. If New were to pull out a podium finish it would be the upset of the century. Shore, Joeys, Scots are the top 3 and the only variable will be inwhat order they cross the line. It's all very well to talk up the Year 10 eights but that's no guarantee of success the very next year. Takes about 3-4 years of solid results in seniors to be able to reach for the win - and then only with the right crew in that particular year.

alfred

Bob McCowan (2)
This program chat is a good talking point although I don't think many of you have your facts straight. Shirlaw did a lot of work at the SHORE shed but I have been told Gary Ubergang resurrected the winning ways back in the 60's and David Jennings since 08. Shirlaw now brining a similar culture at Joeys and obviously working. The first 8 coach in these type of programs handles the senior 8's and the majority of the credit should go to the 1st and 2nd eight coaches for actually implementing the 'program'. The MIC's of rowing at these Schools unless also the coach of the 1st VIII don't have much general involvement in these types of programs.

Also having the cattle is one thing, but in schoolboy sport a good coach is a game changer.

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
This program chat is a good talking point although I don't think many of you have your facts straight. Shirlaw did a lot of work at the SHORE shed but I have been told Gary Ubergang resurrected the winning ways back in the 60's and David Jennings since 08. Shirlaw now brining a similar culture at Joeys and obviously working. The first 8 coach in these type of programs handles the senior 8's and the majority of the credit should go to the 1st and 2nd eight coaches for actually implementing the 'program'. The MIC's of rowing at these Schools unless also the coach of the 1st VIII don't have much general involvement in these types of programs.

Also having the cattle is one thing, but in schoolboy sport a good coach is a game changer.

Yes well, see my previous numerous and extensive posts about the confluence of cattle, coach and culture.

Regarding credit, I promise you that the reason any Director of Rowing, particularly Shirlaw, achieves success is by knowing every detail of every rower, where he sat and in what crew, whether last season or last session; but is able to delegate the coaching to talented individuals. It goes way beyond "general involvement", I have seen it first-hand.

SBrow

Larry Dwyer (12)
Newington sources indicate the Newington Vs Kings 'match race' is on again this year on the 30th in the evening, I assume same course as last year, any thoughts?

deez ebola nuts

Peter Burge (5)
Wow very harsh analysis on Newington, with Morgan back I do think they can pull out a decent result maybe a 5th or 4th. I think Shore to have the favorites title as I've heard some crazy erg times they have been puing and the junior eight from last year was better then some schools 2nd Eights.I also hear that the famous Elliot Bertenetti is coaching the 1st four now, that be confirmed?
Deez Ebola Nuts out

Status
Not open for further replies.