• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2016 Under-20 Rugby World Championships - Manchester UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigSteve

Herbert Moran (7)
George partridge is seriously quick! would easily be the fastest in the Q20's if selected. he may find it tough considering the backline talent Queensland has got though.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
There are quickies in the u20 squad at the moment, the likes of Joey Fittock, Sam Edwards and schoolie Jayden Ngamanu. It would suprise me if he was any quicker on the park. I think the selectors are spoilt for decission with regards to back line choices in the u20, besides the players that may be coming from the senior squad there are the likes of Jurd (2014 Qld u20), Riley (Aus Schoolboy 2015, Aus youth 7's), Dorrough (Qld 7's) and Joe Jenkins following his stellar 2015 Colt Premier and Premier Grade performances.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Was at NSW U20s today.

Will give the names of the people remaining that I saw today, later tonight - though some could be absent and still in the squad. I think it was 34 but will have to look at my photos to see if I missed anybody.

It's confirmed that Jack Clancy has ruptured an ACL.

Connor O'Shea was never cut from the squad but undergoing rehab at Sydney Uni - and was there today - as was Jack Maddocks who I hadn't seen this season either.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
OK - I still haven't looked at my photos and may adjust my list when I do, but I doubt if I will be more than 2-3 out. There are 36 not 34.

LHP
Jordan Lotoaniu *
Harry Johnson-Holmes
Vuni Fifita

Hookers
Ed Craig
Declan Moore
Tom Horton

THP
Sean Dillon
Sama Malolo
Harry Chapman

2nd Row
Tom Piroddi
Lachlan Swinton
Gus Vernoevan

Backrow
Jack Hayson
Charlie Smith
Lachlan Anderson **
Max Girdler
James Lough

Scrumhalves
Tom Pye
Theo Strang
Harrison Goddard

Flyhalves
Jack Maddocks
Connor O'Shea
Jack McGregor

Centres
Tom Molloy*
Ned Yeomans
Will McDonnell
Dan England
James Pelowski

Back Three
Sepesa Loga-Tarogi
Sam Tabuatamata
Guy Porter *
Jack Conen
Latu Latunipulu *
Will Latu
Guy Porter *
Tim Clements

* Team Rehab, but present
** was packing down in 2nd row !!

Ryan McCauley training with Tahs seniors

Seems to be backs heavy.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
NSW seem to have 17* from the class of 2015. Add in the 1 Guy Porter who graduated in 2014 but is from the born in 1997** cohort and there is a lot of young'uns in the NSW wider training squad, particularly in the engine room.

Any word on Qld, ACT, Vic and WA U20 trials and preparations for the Curtain Raiser Cup?

*18 if you include McCauley who is in the Tahs Supplementary Squad. 19 if Kennewell is released from National 7's duties.

** 21 from the Born in 1997 Cohort if you include all of the above and Hutchison who may only be released from National 7's duties for the National U20's.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Rumor has it the Qld u20 trials commence 6 Feb against a Darling Downs Premier side at Ballymore as a curtain raiser to the Reds vs Crusaders with the trial team to be announced early next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
The NSW squad will only play up to round 5. Then there will be a 'final' of some description. Then I presume the Aust U20 side will be chosen and, with Oceania comp and trip to England, round 5 will be the end of their Super Rugby appearances. Unless the remnant plays on to the end of the competition. But surely the boys would want to play for their own clubs by that point in the season? Or will the Super Rugby Waratah's, Reds, etc, become an alternative to Shute Shield and other State comps for these boys?

I've written most of this before:

The round robin Super Rugby U20 comp will be held from Rd 1 to Rd 5 of Super Rugby and the two teams with the best results will play a final in Rd 6.

There will be no more Super Rugby U20 games after that.

The squad for the FORU (or Oceania) games at Bond is named about April 6th a few days after the final. It may include a couple of elite youngsters who didn't play in the Super Rugby U20s.

They go to the Bond camp about April 26th and play NZ in two games about May 3rd and 7th.

No doubt they can fit in a couple of club matches in the gap after the Super Rugby U20s are over.

A squad for Manchester will be named after the games against NZ and it, plus shadow players, will go into the Narrabeen camp for the second half of May.

No doubt there will be a couple of warm-up games as there have been in the past, whilst at Narrabeen.

There are so many "abouts" because I'm going off an old spreadsheet that has probably been updated - but the profile of it shouldn't be too far off the mark.

Linespeed

Sydney Middleton (9)
From the Reds website:

Match times are as follows:
St.George Queensland Reds v Crusaders - Saturday 6 February
3:00pm: Gates Open
3:15pm: Reds Under-20s v Darling Downs
5:00pm: Whenua Ariki Maori v Queensland Samoa – Women’s Sevens
5:25pm: Whenua Ariki Maori v Queensland Samoa – Men’s
7:30pm: St.George Queensland Reds v Crusaders

http://www.redsrugby.com.au/News/Ne...h-fan-forums-for-2016-Super-Rugby-season.aspx

I’ve heard there is a 2nd trial against Wests Prems as “1” & “2” 20s squads the following weekend.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Anybody going to the NSW U20s 3 way trial on Sunday?

SUNDAY, 7TH. FEBRUARYJohn Dwyer Oval, Burraneer11.00am Waratahs U20 v. NSW Country U20 v. Waratahs U19 (3 way)

I will be at the Sevens so I can't go, but I would like to read reports of the days events - who played well etc etc. Scores don't matter.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Quite a few U20's playing in Super Rugby Trials this week/weekend, some starting and a few off the bench.

Brumbies
12. Jordan JACKSON-HOPE (Starting Team)
11. Nicholas JOOSTE (Bench Team) still U20 Eligible in 2017

Reds (all from the Bench Team)
Taniela TUPOU
Lukhan LEALAIAULOTU-TUI
Maclean JONES
James TUTTLE
Mack MASON
Campbell MAGNAY

Rebels
8. Ta HOSEA (Starting)
Angus FOWLER (bench)
Jordan UELESE (bench) still U20 Eligible in 2017
http://www.melbournerebels.com.au/community/elite-programs/elite/melbourne-rising#jordan-uelese

Force
25. Onehunga HAVAILI (Bench)

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Thanks @Delphy.

Thought I'd checked out the ages out on the Melbourne Rising site. Must have researched the other Jordan Uelese:).

Angus FOWLER has lobbed up in Rebels strip after being in the running for a QLD Gig. I see his name was down in the North vs South Prem Colts trial match for Norths. I think he is a halfback, and there seems to be a logjam of top notch halves in QLD at the moment, so heading south is a wise move on his behalf.

OP has been edited.

LMU

Allen Oxlade (6)
Are there no NSW U20's good enough to feature in the Super Rugby trials? Surely they are not being held back for U20 games?

Seymour Butz

Larry Dwyer (12)
Are there no NSW U20's good enough to feature in the Super Rugby trials? Surely they are not being held back for U20 games?

Probably are being held back, unless they are certain starters in Super Rugby, which is generally pretty unlikely. Especially for forwards.

U20s trials start this Sunday, and then games on every weekend for 5 weeks, so they need to get some teamwork happening if they'll have any chance of doing well in the 'competition' games v QLD and the other State franchises.

Obviously, each State / Franchise wants to get as many members into the national Squad as possible for Manchester, for bragging rights as much as anything, so this all builds up to that. No doubt they will be 'selfishly' guarded, with a view to this ultimate goal, as far as possible.

Reactions: LMU

LMU

Allen Oxlade (6)
^ Qld must have a different strategy. Putting more emphasis on Super rugby experience for the individual over the need for team cohesion for the 20's comp. That, or Qld need their 20's for Super rugby this year.

Seymour Butz

Larry Dwyer (12)
^ Qld must have a different strategy. Putting more emphasis on Super rugby experience for the individual over the need for team cohesion for the 20's comp. That, or Qld need their 20's for Super rugby this year.
Seems likely the Reds are looking to their U20s for some depth and X-factor (possibly thinking about building for future years) based on the Red's performance last season. Obviously much easier to get a run with the Reds who came 13th out of 15, than with the Waratah's who came 2nd in the comp.

There's a lot of chat about how player X must be considered better than player Y because they play in a State club competition or Super Rugby franchise, but that's not a particularly useful ruler for measurement. Some clubs / teams /franchises are much more / less competitive than others. Chalk and cheese very often, so its rubbish for assessing whether one player is better than another because they are 'signed' (whatever that means) with club X first grade, franchise Y squad, or NRC Z training group IMHO.

Http://www.superxv.com/table/

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
The Waratahs don't have any U20 qualified players in their Core Squad or EPS.

In the supplementary squad lock Ryan McCauley trains with the seniors week in, week out, and he is in his U/19 year - but he didn't get a gig in the Tahs' first trial and is therefore unlikely to get one at all.

Not to the point but three others from the 5-man supplementary squad (not U20s) were named for the Wagga trial tomorrow and the fourth one is injured.

One of the three, Andrew Deegan, is starting at flyhalf.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
U20s Six Nations starts tonight/tommorow morning (bloody timezones).

With us, England and Italy in your pool, should be informitive. I'm particularly interested in this first match for us. We've got a very very good side, at least by our standards, and it's still missing Zander Fagerson, who's going to come off the bench at Murrayfield rather than starting at Broadwood for the Jocks. Flanker Jamie Ritchie has been a mainstay for Edinburgh in his U20 year, while lock and Captain Scott Cummings, and Fullback Blair Kinghorn have both played 6-10 games for Glasgow and Edinburgh respectively, in their own U19 years.

A significant number of the rest are coming into their 2nd, or even their 3rd year of U20s, particularly Hutchison, who was forced into the fly half role in the previous two tournaments, but with the emergence of a few options, now gets to play his preferred 13.

Status
Not open for further replies.