• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2016 Under-20 Rugby World Championships - Manchester UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
There are 2 Australian U20 warm-up matches at Chatswood Oval next week.
Australian Barbarians at 7.30pm on Tuesday 24th.
NSW Country at 5.30pm on Saturday 28th, following Gordon v Uni Colts.

T

TOCC

zkgnnlua5elyplr90cnt.gif

Yeah classy response mate

T

TOCC

There are 2 Australian U20 trial matches at Chatswood Oval next week.

Dam il miss both, having them only 4 days apart is interesting.. Trying to condition the lads for the quick turnaround of the JWC perhaps?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
After the injury toll so far, let's hope Thommo has received an exemption from Hugh's Law, that says there will be two changes to the squad before the final touring squad is announced.

Are there any if the current Team Rehab lads likely to become available before departure? The reverse Hugh's Law is a rather rare phenomena but it saved our bacon in game 2 vs NZL with Rodda and Kennewell graduating from Team Rehab just in time.

Monty Python

Ted Fahey (11)
There are 2 Australian U20 warm-up matches at Chatswood Oval next week.

With the interstate boys flying in to Sydney tomorrow for the camp at Narrabeen, is there any news to speak of re selections, anyone returning from injury, etc. Do they have extras attending to provide opposition, or are there enough reserves and shadows to provide opposed play?

Who is traditionally selected for the Australian Barbarians side? Sydney colties, or is it older players from Shute shield? Who coaches and gets them together?

Will General Lee Grant be out there to provide an insightful blog and pics on their preparation and training over the second half of this week?

Lots of questions. Any answers out there?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

1. In the Under 20s sessions I have watched in the past at Narrabeen they just practised skills and had some brief hit outs between themselves closer to the warm-up games. They have some shadow players with them too so there are enough to simulate a game if they want to.

2. The Baas are mostly senior club players from Sydney but they had a few club players from Qld and the ACT as well last year. I think they have their only training session at the ground.

3. I will be doing a blog on the midweek game and will attend the weekend match after rushing over from Hunters Hill, but with six schools matches to either write on or edit on Sat night and Sunday I would struggle to have time to do a blog on the second game.

If anybody is attending the second match and can do a report for blogging on it give me notice of that in this thread ASAP. If somebody has already offered don't hesitate to volunteer yourself because the posts that you do in the forum may suggest that you are more suitable.

I will give you some guidelines.

4. If I haven't answered something I will have to quote Sergeant Schultz.

Tigs Man

Allen Oxlade (6)
Bit late to this but i would say the England U20 is alot better on paper than the 6n's nations squad.

4 players who have been added who have stood out at senior rugby for their clubs are
Harry Mallinder - 10, 12, 13, 15 has had a breakout season with Northampton Saints and looks a brilliant talent gotten a few MotM for them this season.
Johnny Williams - 12/13 another one with a breakout season despite being in a relegated London Irish team he was one of the few bright sparks in their team very physical
Theo Brophy-Clews - 10 again similar to Williams in a relegated Irish but proved to be able to handle senior rugby
Will Evans - 7 Leicester Tigers youngster only started playing for tigers senior team in the last month but has impressed, so much so that he kept Tom Croft out of the 23 in yesterdays Semi final game v saracens.

Also England rugby has a new head coach in Haag who replaces the 6N's U20 coach Callard.

It SHOULD be a very different U20's side.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
FULL AUSTRALIAN BARBARIANS SQUAD
Cameron Orr (West Harbour)
Ryan Dalziel (Easts Sydney)
Duncan Chubb (Southern Districts)
Brodie Leber (Wests)
Phil Potgeiter (UQ)
Waita Setu (GPS)
Rowan Perry (Easts Sydney)
Michael Richards (GPS)
Dewet Roos (Southern Districts)
Rodney Iona (Warringah)
Larry Hermens (Norths Sydney)
Andrew Robinson (Tuggeranong)
Liam Berry (Uni-North Owls)
Tim Cornforth (Royals)
Paul Asquith (Melbourne Harlequins)
Mahe Vailanu (Melbourne Harlequins)
Neori Nadruku (Queanbeyan)
Nick Blacklock (Parramatta)
Max Pizzamiglio (Wests)
OJ Noa (Queanbeyan)
Richie Skelton (Brothers)
Edan Campbell-O’Brien (Uni-North Owls)
Jeremy Skelton (Brothers)

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
This may have been reported before but Izaia Perese is injured and out of the Aus U20 team and is replaced by Ah-Mu Tuimalealiifano from the Rebels.

There are a few doing light training but all are expected to be ready for Manchester.

As it stands that is the only change to the 28, since all players with Super Rugby contracts are expected to be available according to Aus U20 coach Adrian Thompson.

The Under 20s will field their best team for the Saturday game and play all their shadow players and Manchester bench players tomorrow - give or take.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
If the Shadow players take the field tomorrow, will they be classified as an Australian U20 representative?

Going by the injury toll so far, we're going to need a few of the Shadow players to have their bags packed and passports in order.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Apparently E. Skelton did get capped for Qld during the Aus Provincial Championship, 2006.

(after a bit o' trouble much earlier on in the other code)

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/born-again-skelton/story-e6frepm6-1111112186895

he's got Super Rugby camps for the Reds too. Under Eddie Jones where we managed to cap front rowers such as Ben Coutts, Gavin Warren, Geoff Abram, Tama Tuirirangi and David Te Moana

Those last two being our props when the Bulls snuck home against us in Pretoria in the last match of that year.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Ah, yes. Some Jones Magic™...

Look, I'm not going to pretend to remember the names of those props, but I think I might just recall that game - or at least the score. A real hum dinger.

Remember the man; remember the name: Eddie effin' Jones!

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
BMW Australia U20s v Australian Barbarians

1. Vunipola Fifita
2. Jordan Uelese
3. Sham Vui
4. Harry Hockings
5. Lukhan Tui
6. Angus Scott-Young
7. Ikapote Tupai
8. Rob Leota
9. Angus Fowler
10. Billie Gray
11. Joey Fittock
12. Tom Molloy
13. Liam Jurd
14. Ah-Mu Tuimalealiifano
15. Liam McNamara
RESERVES

16. Faalelei Sione
17. Richie Asiata
18. Tyrel Lomax
19. Tom Pirrodi
20. Ta Hosea
21. Harry Nucifora
22. Sapessa Lolo-Tarogi
23. Simon Kennewell
24. Moses Sorovi

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
A few non-shadows in that lineup?

I'd have thought Tui and a few others would be main squad.

Status
Not open for further replies.