• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2016 Under-20 Rugby World Championships - Manchester UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
A few non-shadows in that lineup?

I'd have thought Tui and a few others would be main squad.

I said above "give or take". There is not enough shadow and bench players to field two different 23s - or 24, it seems, and a couple of the Super Rugby players won't play in either game and will be coming in on Sunday.

And I suppose there are a few that need both games.

Thompson said tomorrow night's team could struggle.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
it's nice to see 6 Rebels in the 23, and by my reckoning, five of whom are home grown.

edit: Rebels website says 7 but i can't work who the 7th is. (Tupai ?)

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
@Kiap, When you say non-shadows, do you mean there are players listed for the Barbars game who were not in the original squad/shadow list, or that there are a fair stack of "main squad" players (the 28 originally named for Bond) listed and not too many from the original (but not published) Shadow list?

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
@Kiap, When you say non-shadows, do you mean there are players listed for the Barbars game who were not in the original squad/shadow list, or that there are a fair stack of "main squad" players (the 28 originally named for Bond) listed and not too many from the original (but not published) Shadow list?

Yeah, the latter, Hugh.

A few guys who I though might be first choice (but I ain't an expert on this).

LG has covered it though - with the squad numbers it might be a bit of mix 'n' match (or perhaps a few units who need an extra hit out).

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Is anybody going to Chatswood who has a better camera lens than I have and can take a few snaps tonight of the Under 20s?

The Chatswood Oval lights are as dim as, and even with a high ISO my pics are blurry unless there's a stationary scrum.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Streams pretty good. Not sure what Fowler did wrong to get dragged, albeit with 2 halfbacks on the bench, it might have been premeditated. Obviously the commentators don't actually know much about the other U20s nations and are just repeating stereotypes, but otherwise the commentary and video quality are pretty nice.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
New Zealand under-20s:

FORWARDS:

Props
Ayden Johnstone - Waikato
Shaun Stodart - Otago
Sean Paranihi - Canterbury
Alex Fidow - Wellington
Sosefo Kautai - Waikato

Hooker
Leni Apisai, captain - Wellington/Hurricanes
Asafo Aumua - Wellington

Lock
Quinten Strange - Tasman
Hamish Dalzell - Canterbury

Lock/loose forward
Isaia Walker-Leawere - Wellington
Fin Hoeata - Taranaki

Loose forward
Mitchell Jacobson - Waikato
Luke Jacobson - Waikato
Dalton Papali'i - Auckland
Marino Mikaele-Tu'u - Hawke's Bay
Hapakuki Moala-Liava'a - North Harbour

BACKS:

Halfback
Jonathan Taumateine - Counties Manukau
Sam Nock - Northland/Blues

First five-eighth
Stephen Perofeta - Taranaki
TJ Va'a - Wellington/Hurricanes

Midfield
Orbyn Leger - Counties Manukau
Jordie Barrett - Canterbury
Patelesio Tomkinson - Otago/Highlanders

Midfield/wing
Jonah Lowe - Hawke's Bay
Malo Tuitama - Wellington

Outside back
Caleb Makene - Canterbury
Shaun Stevenson - Waikato/Chiefs
Jordan Trainor - Waikato/Blues

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/80313995/jordie-barrett-latest-off-family-rugby-production-line

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
Did I read somewhere that Sorovi is not going to Manchester after playing in a winning QLD team and playing in both Test Matches against NZ?

He was the best halfback on that field tonight and has been rewarded with a thanks mate back to Brisbane you go. That's very harsh

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Did I read somewhere that Sorovi is not going to Manchester after playing in a winning QLD team and playing in both Test Matches against NZ?

He was the best halfback on that field tonight and has been rewarded with a thanks mate back to Brisbane you go. That's very harsh
Tuttle is the standout option. Nicufora or however you spell it was drawn into the squad, and Fowler was clearly the stronger performer in the New Zealand games, that first game was the worst passing performance from a halfback I've ever seen.

Nonetheless he played very well tonight and throughout the Super U20s, and has, much like Gus, been hard done by with the decision to back Harry in as an incumbent rather than reward form players.

Monty Python

Ted Fahey (11)
Tuttle is the standout option. Nicufora or however you spell it was drawn into the squad, and Fowler was clearly the stronger performer in the New Zealand games, that first game was the worst passing performance from a halfback I've ever seen.

Nonetheless he played very well tonight and throughout the Super U20s, and has, much like Gus, been hard done by with the decision to back Harry in as an incumbent rather than reward form players.

Thought the backs looked good overall last night, and very fast / snappy. Although the scrums were okay, lineouts were pretty scrappy and the forwards looked pretty sluggish as a group, with not much go forward. Glad that is the reserve pack.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Also..........

Larkham has also called juniors Nick Jooste and Jordan Jackson-Hope back to Canberra to join the Brumbies squad for training as cover for inside back positions.

Jooste and Jackson-Hope are part of the Australian Under-20s squad in camp in Sydney preparing for the Junior World Cup, but have been released to boost the Brumbies ranks.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/brumbies/act-brumbies-clear-way-for-stephen-larkham-to-join-wallabies-as-contract-talks-ramp-up-20160522-gp0tid.html#ixzz49g14RhdC

Status
Not open for further replies.