• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2017 AAGPS/CAS Combined "Comp"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
You need to preach to the heathens on the what next for super rugby thread - there is a real concern and a decidedly anti shute shield or an thing to do with Sydney bias.

Wondered what Bill had been doing with his time.........

DaSchmooze

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Spiro Zavos quoted from a letter he apparently received from a headmaster, possibly of a CAS or AAGPS school:

It is possible that this frustration, the escalation of importance in the minds of some of winning rugby premierships and the schools being taken for granted lies behind the GPS reduction to a single round and the depowering of the overpowering influence of rugby in the schools.
That creates an intriguing situation for the ARU - they have lost sponsors, credibility and to some extent their talent identification and development wing in the last little while.

I want to call BS on this (the quote from the Headmaster). The GPS (and other) schools lock up Rugby talent and prevent boys from accessing the club pathway (and other sports), despite the fact that most of the boys of ability in the GPS learnt their chops playing for their local village or suburban team as primary kids. What could the GPS possibly want from the ARU? Even more help "warehousing" teenagers?

This whole thread - and others like it - revolves around GPS intransigence on any form of collaborative and holistic rugby development. Either between school associations or the ARU.

Again - I want to call BS - but would dearly love to hear what this headmaster's frustrations and ideas are.

Like Papworth - put some actual ideas down on the table for all to see otherwise stop the incessant whinging.

RugbyFan14

Herbert Moran (7)
This whole thread - and others like it - revolves around GPS intransigence on any form of collaborative and holistic rugby development. Either between school associations or the ARU.

The GPS opened themselves up to a bunch of games against CAS schools this year. That seems pretty open and collaborative. Joeys especially have been sending teams all over Sydney to help everyone get a game....

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I want to call BS on this (the quote from the Headmaster). The GPS (and other) schools lock up Rugby talent and prevent boys from accessing the club pathway (and other sports), despite the fact that most of the boys of ability in the GPS learnt their chops playing for their local village or suburban team as primary kids. What could the GPS possibly want from the ARU? Even more help "warehousing" teenagers?

Again - I want to call BS - but would dearly love to hear what this headmaster's frustrations and ideas are.

Like Papworth - put some actual ideas down on the table for all to see otherwise stop the incessant whinging.

None of the schools or the associations to which they belong exist to foster rugby.
They have done so to date because it suited their wider ends. Elevating it to semi professional status suits some parents and schools but not others.

DaSchmooze

Johnnie Wallace (23)
None of the schools or the associations to which they belong exist to foster rugby.
They have done so to date because it suited their wider ends. Elevating it to semi professional status suits some parents and schools but not others.

Ok - well if that's the case (and I'm happy to accept that it is) then why would they bother approaching the ARU? If they are not there to (as part of a broader education) foster Rugby, then why would they be concerned about how the ARU conducts it's business or develops the sport?

That's why I think the original quote mentioned in Zavos' article is BS. It's a cheap shot at the ARU when the Headmasters know full well they wouldnt accept a jot of advice or input offered by them.

I speculate that the headmasters took exception to the formulation of proper junior player pathways that kept them out of the loop. What was once the domain of a school-only pathway has ben challenged by the club structure and they didnt like it.

That's pure speculation though :)

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
So.......ISA-CAS comps to amalgamate and AAGPS back to a 2 round 10 game Comp for 2018.

Pure speculation?, Idle gossip?, Product of a drug crazed imagination?, mischevious rumour?, a cunning plan?....dunno but sounds like a winner to me!!

IMG_2929.JPG

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
So...ISA-CAS comps to amalgamate and AAGPS back to a 2 round 10 game Comp for 2018.

Pure speculation?, Idle gossip?, Product of a drug crazed imagination?, mischevious rumour?, a cunning plan?..dunno but sounds like a winner to me!!

View attachment 9366

Sounds like win/win. We know that CAS supporters are very keen on amalgamating their competition with another and GPS supporters largely support a 2 round GPS competition.

Hasbeen

Bob Loudon (25)
CAS will want stiffer competition than GPS next year given this years experience and the crop they have coming through.....ha ha

Status
Not open for further replies.