• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2017 SA Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I had high hopes for Marais. The draw was against him, one home game only in the first seven rounds. Doing poorly away, he had a need to keep the team head space positive until the home games started.

And failed. Geez they are failing. Feel sorry for the home grown Bull but it's not a surprise.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
SA needs a new government first before any of our rugby problems will start to be genuinely addressed.

Until then the Bok will regress in stature as it gets smaller on its trek north until it finally disappears over the horizon.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Do you think this likely? Everything I see is a Zuma has it wrapped up even from his own ANC dissenters.

That new Sports Minister has been a surprise though.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Eastern Province RU (as opposed to the Kings) bailed out by their local Council to the tune of R15Mn:

http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/r15m-bailout-for-ep-rugby-20170524

Deal includes SARU undertaking to play three 'bok games at Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium over the next four years, starting with Argentina on 19 Aug this year. Not clear what if anything this means for the Kings but it's gotta be a step in the right direction. Interesting, too, that this has come about after Cheeky Watson stood down as Chairman amid suggestions of at least mismanagement. Quid pro quo?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Bit odd. In Aus " liquidated" means the EPRU no longer exists, so nothing much to save. It is AUS 10c to the Rand so $1.5M involved.

RSA politics continues to confuse me, the council (NMBM) is not run by the ANC but the opposition - coalition between UDM and DA (white history mixed now) who for RSA are much more centrist than ANC.

Add this to the recent rugby support by the ANC Sport Minister and it seems that RSA politics now wants to be seen to be supporting rugby. Excelent!

I'm also surprised at 3 Bok games, will Port Elizabeth fill even for an international? Perhaps if Saffers travel.

I understand that the Kings are currently run by SARU, so this would be more about the grass roots and the Provincial RU I would think. Though no doubt SARU want EPRU to take over asap.

Very interesting things happening in South African politics/rugby at the mo.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Marais to stay on as Currie Cup coach but the new Super Rugby coach is..........

http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/SuperRugby/mitchell-set-to-be-named-as-bulls-coach-reports-20170525

I predict a good-ish first year, a tumultuous second year, and a parting of the ways some time between there & the end of year three (and it won't be pretty). Bulls pressers will also be more fun 'cos neither the Afrikaans- nor English speaking journos will have a clue what he's on about half the time.............

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
wlands declared safe and ready for the All B;acks to return to their home venue from home
Springboks’ Rugby Championship fixtures:
August 19 - Springboks v Argentina, Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium, Port Elizabeth
August 26 - Argentina v Springboks, Estadio Padre Ernesto Martearena, Salta
September 9 - Australia v Springboks, NIB Stadium, Perth
September 16 - New Zealand v Springboks, QBE Stadium, Albany
September 30 - Springboks v Australia, Toyota Stadium, Bloemfontein
October 7 - Springboks v New Zealand, TBC, Cape Town

Wilson

David Codey (61)
With all the talk of Coetzee potentially getting the chop I've been thinking abit about south Africa's rugby problems (geez, it's nice to take a break from our clusterfuck).

Is there any reason South Africa hasn't established a black and coloured equivalent team to Tue Maori All Blacks? It seems like a no brainer in terms of helping meet transformation targets, getting a chance to put more experience in the players (and coaches) needed to meet these targets, ideally it may even take some of the immediate pressure off the springbok numbers.

I understand there's a cost associated with something like this but surely a yearly match/series against the Maori All Blacks would build up a rivalry quite nicely and would be worth something. Throw in a few money matches as often as possible (barbarian sides in Europe, lions tour match) and break even would have to be achievable.

With a few matches against tier 2 sides thrown in you've all of a sudden got 23-30 'transformation' players getting as many as 5 near test match level caps a year, that experience and opportunity to see how players manage the step up would have to be a big help to the selection dilemma at the top end.

Sent from my SGP611 using Tapatalk

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Johan Goosen chicken run gone sour like most Saffers.

Wow, he's come out of retirement, who'd have thunk it?

http://ewn.co.za/2018/03/13/johan-goosen-training-with-free-state-cheetahs

I don't generally have much time for the French Club owners on account of what they've doing to our game, but in this case I'm glad Racing made the two-faced sonofabitch peddle cattle semen for a year, it's just a shame they didn't enforce the full term of the contract because as the article states it still sets a very dangerous precedent.

Status
Not open for further replies.