• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2017 Schools Rowing

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigmac

Billy Sheehan (19)
Gold cup 1993
First place newington 1
Secong place newington 2
Daylight third

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

RowingAcademy

Bob McCowan (2)
BM you raise some interesting points. I remember as if it was yesterday the golden days of Newington's reign over the GPS in 1993. Some of the most memorable races the GPS competition has witnessed.
If my memory serves me correctly, was that the year that Newington introduced sculling into their program? If so... it bloody worked.

Hopefully Newington can 'sort out' their act this season. It has been quite embarrassing to watch their development over the last decade. Many negative remarks about Morgan's effectiveness at Newington... I am not sure what to think...

bigmac

Billy Sheehan (19)
BM you raise some interesting points. I remember as if it was yesterday the golden days of Newington's reign over the GPS in 1993. Some of the most memorable races the GPS competition has witnessed.
If my memory serves me correctly, was that the year that Newington introduced sculling into their program? If so. it bloody worked.

Hopefully Newington can 'sort out' their act this season. It has been quite embarrassing to watch their development over the last decade. Many negative remarks about Morgan's effectiveness at Newington. I am not sure what to think.
Newington had been sculling for a while under morgan before 93. Had a superb programme.
Interestingly they came second in 93 hor after 7 seat collapsed short of the line. Dominated the season but pipped on the day.

RowingAcademy

Bob McCowan (2)
RL, although Shore's absolute annihilation in the Jnr VIII & 1st VIII over the whole country there is much confidence growing across the GPS shed's. The rugby season is quickly coming to a close with only FIVE more competition games to play.

My personal view is Scotts return from a rough 2016 season to be quite dominant through the 2017 season.

Wangipapa

Frank Row (1)
Code of Practice
In the light of these principles, the GPS Headmasters affirm the following code of practice:
  1. No inducements such as sporting scholarships, whether direct, disguised, or at arm’s length, shall be offered by any member school. Financial assistance to talented sportsmen shall not form part of the enrolment strategy of any member school.
  2. We affirm that the Headmaster of each school is responsible for knowing the special circumstances relating to the admission of boys to his school.
  3. In the selection and training of boys in teams or crews, the good of the individual boy shall remain paramount.
  4. While allowing for some exceptional circumstances, we believe that it is poor educational practice for a boy to engage in a single sport throughout the year.
It looks as if the code of practice is usually overlooked or out dated. Most shore rowers only do one sport throughout the year which is rowing even though they are training at a club. Newington and joeys on the other hand do nothing wrong by training in the winter as the boys are involved in other sports as well, that is why the training is on a Sunday afternoon or early in the mornings and optional.
Might have to correct you there Coxxy the majority of Shore rowers (97.6% i believe) do winter sport as it IS compulsory, they also must turn up to all training and games.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I would have to agree with you IS you make a good point. What is your affiliation with Schoolboy rowing? Also Strokeside whats your affiliation to this topic of conversation?

Back in the day newington 2nd eight could beat most 1st eights. Like shore today.

Lets just say, Rowinglord that Strokeside and I remember when Grammar had a 2nd VIII that beat every 1st VIII except the Grammar and Newington 1st VIIIs.

SBrow

Larry Dwyer (12)
Im not sure about your remarks about the scots collage i can't see them boating anything special this year however everyone is entitled to an opinion and time will tell everything.

When you coach them you tend to be of that opinion :Do_O

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
I was just trailing through some footage of last years crews and a new video seems to have popped up showing some cool aerial footage of state champs and a different race i couldn't tell what it was however, looks like a Shore dad or boy compiled some footage. Heres the link.

Great footage - thanks for linking to it.
A technical question as someone with surf boat experience only: why are the oars sometimes on different sides of the shell alternately (i.e. left, right, left, right and so on down the boat) and sometimes dual placement (i.e. right, left, left, right, right etc.)
Poor terminology I am sure but I hope you get my drift.

SBrow

Larry Dwyer (12)
Great footage - thanks for linking to it.
A technical question as someone with surf boat experience only: why are the oars sometimes on different sides of the shell alternately (i.e. left, right, left, right and so on down the boat) and sometimes dual placement (i.e. right, left, left, right, right etc.)
Poor terminology I am sure but I hope you get my drift.

There are a whole number of different reasons for adding buckets/tandems (two rowers on the same side consecutively)

- It can make the boat run straighter. E.g. the shore eight had two rowers on stroke side in 2 and 3, probably indicating that their stroke side needed more leverage (closer to the bow = more leverage) to keep the boat straight. It can also eliminate the 'wiggle' that boats experience at the end of the stroke due to one (usually bow) side having more leverage than the other.

- It helps some rowers work around their rigger (lean into the stroke) better when they can follow the same thing in front of them

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
There are a whole number of different reasons for adding buckets/tandems (two rowers on the same side consecutively)

- It can make the boat run straighter. E.g. the shore eight had two rowers on stroke side in 2 and 3, probably indicating that their stroke side needed more leverage (closer to the bow = more leverage) to keep the boat straight. It can also eliminate the 'wiggle' that boats experience at the end of the stroke due to one (usually bow) side having more leverage than the other.

- It helps some rowers work around their rigger (lean into the stroke) better when they can follow the same thing in front of them

Many thanks.

L.Hudsen

Frank Nicholson (4)
To add to SBrow's note about the Double Tandem, i believe it can also be used if an oarsman is better suited to a position in the boat.

and better suited on a particular side too. Interesting to see last year both Shore and Kings adopt this rigging compared to no boats the year before. Perhaps a new trend, time will tell

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
So yet again another example how intriguing to hear. I can't say I am from that era of racing however learning what took place back then is of great knowledge to me :) Inside shoulder did you have the privilege of holding the rennie yourself?

I did not.
L C Robson was as close as I got.
The next year we had 2 back from the winning VIII and 6 from the winning 2nd VIII - we could only manage 3rd after a disrupted 1st term with a composite boat (built by Maconachie of 18 footer fame) and crew illness.
However, Strokeside and I did manage a 1st XV victory over SJC at Hunters Hill in 78.

bigmac

Billy Sheehan (19)
I did not.
L C Robson was as close as I got.
The next year we had 2 back from the winning VIII and 6 from the winning 2nd VIII - we could only manage 3rd after a disrupted 1st term with a composite boat (built by Maconachie of 18 footer fame) and crew illness.
However, Strokeside and I did manage a 1st XV victory over SJC at Hunters Hill in 78.
Great racing. Good time for a second eight over 2400m 7min 32. About the same as my vintage quite a few years later on the same course with carbon boat and oars. The sgs 1994 first eight set a blistering time of 7.12 in their heat but got pipped in the day by newington.

IV The Win

Peter Burge (5)
With the new forum up and running, it appears the 2017 season has begun. Just reading through the past couple of pages, there has been significant contribution from someone previously unseen. I find myself wondering where RowingLord suddenly appeared from, and where their opinions/biases came from, clearly directed at one school in particular. Personally I wouldn't keep Ignatius or Scots out of the running this season, not unlike previous seasons. Coming off of a season that Shore had is a perfect breeding ground for complacency, which can be taken advantage of. I'm sure RowingLord will have some strong contradictions to what I'm saying, and I expect a backlash from Shore's new mascot soon. That's just my two cents

bigmac

Billy Sheehan (19)
With the new forum up and running, it appears the 2017 season has begun. Just reading through the past couple of pages, there has been significant contribution from someone previously unseen. I find myself wondering where RowingLord suddenly appeared from, and where their opinions/biases came from, clearly directed at one school in particular. Personally I wouldn't keep Ignatius or Scots out of the running this season, not unlike previous seasons. Coming off of a season that Shore had is a perfect breeding ground for complacency, which can be taken advantage of. I'm sure RowingLord will have some strong contradictions to what I'm saying, and I expect a backlash from Shore's new mascot soon. That's just my two cents
I have no love for shore but have to accept the reality of their ongoing dominance of gps rowing with no end in sight. Not good for gps rowing but thats life.

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
Scots: already a spent force. After only a couple of years posing a serious threat in several divisions, the KT train has derailed. Major change required this season.

New: still in the wilderness. I'd predict that a five-year plan is needed, at the very least, to rebuild that program.

Shore: will continue to dominate. Sacrifices, compromises and accommodations are made for this program which other schools simply will not make; several other schools have the talent, coaching and resources to beat Shore but none has the naked determination to win at all costs and above all else.

Grammar: will continue on its quiet-achieving way. It could be time for Boo Radley to come out from behind the door and go back to full-time plumbing.

Joeys: will push Shore all the way. No signs of a dip in quality since the 2015 win; always a contender.

View: the ones to watch in 2016-17. Last season opened the door a crack to reveal the quality that came from crucial changes of personnel; this season could be the Cinderella story.

High: will debate well.

Kings: appear to have never fully recovered from the loss of one of their top coaches to a non-GPS, non-rowing school a few years ago. I see the middle of the pack in the eights but perhaps some creditable results in Fours.

Augs, Cranbrook and Kinross: will continue to claim "glory" for their top crews in lower divisions. Despite widespread rower/coach/supporter unhappiness with this practice, there's no sign that RNSW will crack down on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.