• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2017 Schools Rowing

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuvToRo

Chris McKivat (8)
New boats this season for anyone?

Good question, i don't know for sure but this is my prediction based on last season

Shore: 1st VIII Hudson USP (2016 Season), 2nd VIII Kirs or Laszlo i think its called now

Joeys: 1st VIII Kirs (2015 Season , 2nd VIII Kirs (2015 Season)

Riverview: 1st VIII Kirs (2016 season) 2nd VIII Hudson SP

Scots: 1st VIII Fillipi (2016 season) 2nd VIII Empacher or Fillipi

Kings: 1st VIII Sykes 2nd VIII Sykes (Possible new boat to come)

Newington: 1st VIII Wintech King 2nd VIII Wintech King (Possible new boat to come)

High: 1st VIII Sykes

Grammar: 1st VIII Empacher only @SIRC 2nd VIII Sykes

Interesting topic. It all depends on how long schools go without buying boats.

SBrow

Larry Dwyer (12)
I think this year might be a year for some new fours, Joeys and Shore have both had their Kirs for a while (except Shore's first four, wintech for 3 years?) King's had a new four last year, christening it at SIRC at their regatta in February. Scots also had a Fillipi four, a big expense for a crew which is not their top ranked? Although I would like to see some more of that.

I believe the Riverview Kirs wasn't new, I saw it a number of times and it didn't look to be brand new, however not old. It was new to riverview however.

SIRCWATCH

Frank Nicholson (4)
Hi Andrew, I would love to gather an insight into how you approach a season that looks as though it's going to be heavily dominated by Shore, Riverview and joeys? Is it hard to keep boys motivated at the inevitable prospect of yet another shore win, how do boys cope with losing by the margins they lost by say the two previous years? Surely it's got to have some affect on training motivation?

SIRCWATCH

Frank Nicholson (4)
I completely agree with that statement as should all athletes. However I'm curious as to whether the boys you coach get this message? It's all well and good for the coach to have the right positive attitude but does this attitude resonate with the boys?

SBrow

Larry Dwyer (12)
If you don't call 5th place a loss then I'm not sure what planet you're coaching on. Getting burned week in/week out is definitely a demeaning factor in training. Maybe the Kings 1st XV should rub some 'winning dust' off onto the Shed and maybe send the rowers out to tackle some sheep.

Getting burned week in week out is not something Kings did, achieving a consistent 3rd place apart from 2-3 races.
I believe it's something scots did actually. When they raced.

SIRCWATCH

Frank Nicholson (4)
Please if losing to another schools 2nd VIII by 5 seconds( shore beat kings NSW champs) and coming 6 at HOTR by 12 seconds isn't getting burned then I don't know what is? You can't justify a few 3rd places at a few regattas including hen and chicken as not getting burned. The competition that was given to shore this year was dismal much as I hate to say even joeys weren't close consistently 5-10 seconds behind so who cares if it's a 3rd place they would have been many boat lengths behind at best. And with shores so called mystery illness at hotr, well that spared the GPS crews another embarrassing race being able to remain in contact with shore and to everyone's shock Riverview was the school but I predict a steady and strong return from the joeys men up the cerise and blue!

SBrow

Larry Dwyer (12)
I think when we have one of the strongest rowing competitions around, bagging out all the schools (which post fairly fast times in the grand scheme of things) because Shore are good, is extremely misguided, and pretty harsh on the guys who worked pretty hard

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I think when we have one of the strongest rowing competitions around, bagging out all the schools (which post fairly fast times in the grand scheme of things) because Shore are good, is extremely misguided, and pretty harsh on the guys who worked pretty hard

Not to mention arrogant, ungracious and generally cock-headed. A few posters ought to pull their heads in. It's schoolboy sport, you dickheads.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
In case anyone suffers from any misapprehension, I'll be blunt.
TALK RESPECTFULLY ABOUT THE SUBJECT AND REMEMBER THESE ARE SCHOOLBOYS.
No-one has a right to post here, it is a privilege with rules set by the owner.
Any more of the recent rubbish will be deleted. The posters will be deleted.
PULL YOUR FUCKING HEADS IN.
And, the thread is locked until this sinks in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Thread unlocked. Zero tolerance for any more of the recent shit.
There will be no warnings, just deletions.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Interesting to hear the Rio rowing commentators mentioning Shore, Joeys and Riverview (I think) for having provided some of this year's Olympians.

SBrow

Larry Dwyer (12)
disappointing result for the M4x last night (Cam Girdlestone King's 06), silver after winning all season. As well for the SRC combo of Turrin/Lloyd (Joeys/Shore), finishing 6th in the A final. However valiantly rowed by both crews, proud to be an Aussie today with the way they handled themselves.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Yeah, the men's quad sculls let the Germans get away from the 500 to about the 1500m mark, left themselves a bit too much work to do at the end. But, silver's not to be sniffed at.

The men's pairs will, surely, improve with more time together. That Kiwi pair have been together for, what, 10 years? With two golds it's probable they'll call it a day.

SBrow

Larry Dwyer (12)
With two golds it's probable they'll call it a day.

They're old too, I think theres a lot of talk of them disbanding after Rio, although nothing out of the Kiwi camp.
However, if they kept going untill Tokyo, I don't think they'll be beaten.

SBrow

Larry Dwyer (12)
30? I think this rounds it out to a nice 70 haha

It is disappointing, on top of this Jürgen Grobler was also a successful coach in Australia in the 90's and is not the head of GB Rowing

Andrew B Cox

Sydney Middleton (9)
Jurgen Grobler has never coached Australia. The head of women's rowing in GB is Paul Thompson. He is a former Olympic gold medal coach for Australia. Jurgen is arguably the greatest coach of all time, winning Gold at every Olympics since '68- except '84 (DDR boycotted).

Status
Not open for further replies.