• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2017 Schools Rowing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I couldn't be more pleased to see the season getting underway over the next few weeks (kings next week, joeys this week as well as shore) its a strange feeling wearing a jumper to work thinking the boys will be out in their zooties shortly. I just want to wish all schools the best and may the best school win, however i am confident in my predictions in who will take out some of the events. Im itching for the regatta season to get underway. Hopefully ill see you all out there or at least be in the presence of some of you.

Andrew B Cox

Sydney Middleton (9)
We certainly won't be entering much this side of chrissy. We will be a little disrupted with a few of our guys in track and field, snow sports as well as a few on exchange- so it is a little bit of a 'soft launch' . But don't worry, we will be doing everything in our power to ensure that the prediction of a season dominated by Shore, Joeys, and Riverview doesn't happen. What's more we are not silly enough to ignore Newington, Grammar or indeed High. Yes , I admit we struggled last year in both eights- I own that. I also know that you learn more from your failures than your successes. Fail, then fail better.

L.Hudsen

Frank Nicholson (4)
Unrelated of course it was great to see the Mens Quad and IV get silver medals respectively whilst Kim Brennan took the Gold. Cameron Girdlestone in the Quad was indeed a product of King's rowing being in the extremely quick 2004 boat coxed by Nick Phipps.

Also looking forward to the upcoming world juniors it would be great if somebody could link a streaming site to watch the races.

Im sure you can tell that my first pick will be as it is most peoples on this forum. As i drove over Homebush Bay drive this morning there wasn't a boat insight however that was probably due to my timing rather. I was talking to a good friend of mine, a father of a kings boy, he himself was an oarsmen and questioned what is it Shore are doing over the other schools. He was intrigued by the display of dominance over the past two decades as he recalled the days of kings dominance. Its amazing to think that kings were once the dominant force only some 30 years ago, much like shore is today. Most of us are asking ourselves when will the rein of another school take hold on this iron fist shore has of rowing? Any suggestions what makes them so good? And who is everyone tipping to be the next school to rise to dominate in the next two decades, or will it be a mix as competition becomes more even.

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
Sliver oar, Kings were dominant 67-71/73 and 80-84. The second dominant period possibly can be summed up in 3 words - Ken St Heaps (RIP).

rowbuddy

Frank Nicholson (4)
Unrelated of course it was great to see the Mens Quad and IV get silver medals respectively whilst Kim Brennan took the Gold. Cameron Girdlestone in the Quad was indeed a product of King's rowing being in the extremely quick 2004 boat coxed by Nick Phipps.

Also looking forward to the upcoming world juniors it would be great if somebody could link a streaming site to watch the races.

30? I think this rounds it out to a nice 70 haha

It is disappointing, on top of this Jürgen Grobler was also a successful coach in Australia in the 90's and is not the head of GB Rowing

U23 & U19 coverage: http://www.eurovisionsports.tv/fisa/ - see schedule at worldrowing.com

SBrow

Larry Dwyer (12)
The heavy eight is the only coxed boat class at the senior level. As for women, there is no coxed four or pair. Hence, why she took up para rowing, where there is the LTAMix4+
(a class which Australia has a real opportunity at winning at the upcoming paralympics)

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)

L.Hudsen

Frank Nicholson (4)
JM Quad through to semi's but will have to improve to challenge the likes of Germany. The JW IV also through to semi's, whilst the JM IV didn't look great burning out in the last 500m

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
JM Quad through to semi's but will have to improve to challenge the likes of Germany. The JW IV also through to semi's, whilst the JM IV didn't look great burning out in the last 500m

The commentators' theory on that last 500 of the JMIV was that they knew by then they couldn't catch them and they were going to repechage, so they eased off. Hard to judge their form when listening to audio race call and watching little boat graphics.

SBrow

Larry Dwyer (12)
JM4+ through to A-Final with what sounds like a pretty relaxed effort, cruising through to 2nd in the repecharge.

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
Shame about the Junior quads in both men's and women's. They looked promising earlier in the week but ended semis in 4th.

The coxed four will be interesting but it would be a big upset if the SUBC boys cracked it for a medal.

All hopes now rest on Harriet Hudson, through to the A Final overnight!

Status
Not open for further replies.