• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2017 Schools Rowing

Status
Not open for further replies.

SBrow

Larry Dwyer (12)
Ah well, so good to get eight GPS rowers on display at the Juniors, and another three in the U23 team.
Now back to the GPS, how are all the schools going at the start of their testing/training?

Hard 10

Allen Oxlade (6)
Now back to the GPS, how are all the schools going at the start of their testing/training?

I heard on the grapevine that Shore rugby coaches are getting possessive about their players not letting some of them row in hopes of a better rugby performance. Otherwise seems same old with Shore, Scots, Riverview and Joeys all pulling decent scores too win if they translate to boat speed.

bigmac

Billy Sheehan (19)
I've heard similar tales, with a first and second eight rower leaving.
Doesnt the code of conduct stipulate that focussing exclusively on one sport is poor educational practice?

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

L.Hudsen

Frank Nicholson (4)
Doesnt the code of conduct stipulate that focussing exclusively on one sport is poor educational practice?

In year 12 sport is not compulsory providing students extra time to study. However before then it is expected student must participate in both a summer and winter sport unless under exceptional circumstances.

Therefore these 2 students leaving are under no obligation to continue rowing however it is disappointing that rugby coaches would encourage or even tell students to drop out of rowing.

SBrow

Larry Dwyer (12)
I thought it was for everywhere. I would have assumed Iggies would due to their large numbers across their Rugby program. A quick google found it to be compulsory at Newington and King's (and I think scots?), whilst Sydney Grammar boys can leave sport after their term 1 commitments in year 11, and Sport.
I think it is a shame for a school to make it not compulsory in senior years, not only does it obviously weaken the level of senior sport, but it makes junior sport simply a token event.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
I thought it was for everywhere. I would have assumed Iggies would due to their large numbers across their Rugby program. A quick google found it to be compulsory at Newington and King's (and I think scots?), whilst Sydney Grammar boys can leave sport after their term 1 commitments in year 11, and Sport.
I think it is a shame for a school to make it not compulsory in senior years, not only does it obviously weaken the level of senior sport, but it makes junior sport simply a token event.

With the pressure of HSC assessments taking place over a full academic year, the schools often release students from compulsory sport to focus on their studies. it isn't just the usual assessment tasks that take time and precedence. Some subjects have final exams mid-year. Design and Technology and Drama are two that spring to mind.
So if sport is compulsory through to the end of winter sport in Year 12, multiple priorities of the highest level bear down on students simultaneously. Hence non-compulsory sport in Year 12.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Teaching students to juggle study with sport's surely a metaphor of what life's going to throw up very shortly after leaving school. This attitude of study and only study at age 16/17/18 doesn't result in a well-rounded high school graduate.

SBrow

Larry Dwyer (12)
Former Augustines rower Sean Murphy and former Joeys rower Matt Curtin paired up well today in the Trans-Tasman

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
Tragic news that last year's SBSH 1st VIII coach, Olympian and World Champion silver medalist, Beryl Crockford passed away last Sunday following injuries sustained in a cycling accident. She had a real impact on lots of schoolboy rowers and was pretty no nonsense and got the boys working hard. She had a good impact on my son whilst he was at Joeys. It was just like her to do the hard yards and try and revive rowing at SBHS and get them to love the sport for all it instills. Vale, Beryl. RIP

bigmac

Billy Sheehan (19)
Tragic news that last year's SBSH 1st VIII coach, Olympian and World Champion silver medalist, Beryl Crockford passed away last Sunday following injuries sustained in a cycling accident. She had a real impact on lots of schoolboy rowers and was pretty no nonsense and got the boys working hard. She had a good impact on my son whilst he was at Joeys. It was just like her to do the hard yards and try and revive rowing at SBHS and get them to love the sport for all it instills. Vale, Beryl. RIP
Really sad news. RIP

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
Some interesting and exciting results in the Nepean time trial. Augurs well for future state and national crews - there's plenty of depth in the talent pool.

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
Camps starting soon?

Joeys heading off tomorrow to the south coast. Preliminary rankings already done before the hols I am reliably informed, but no further detail as yet.

Grammar has done rankings according to my sources but has no senior camp until January when they persuade enough boys to lift their heads out of the books.

KT has continued the French Foreign Legion conditions for Scots rowers unabated throughout winter. Between school-based conditioning sessions and a strong presence in clubs this year, if there's something called Rowing Camp these holidays I'm sure the Scots boys will barely notice any difference.

The View boys have been back in the water for some time but MD and his mute offsider seem to be keeping it all low key for now.

Anyone know what's going at New?

This constant talk about how hard scots are training throughout the winter and how hard they are being worked by this infamous KT is a reoccurring theme throughout he past few years. Judging by results over the past 40 years and the previous years, this is either false and just a couple of parents trying to blow some wind into the helpless sails of scots rowing. Or indeed, it could be just that a scotsmans idea of hard work merely may be nothing compared to what some of the other schools rowers are enduring. The regatta season is fast approaching and all the early season work will be put in the spotlight, which may not mean much come March, however can bring a mental edge to whichever crew is performing early on.

LuvToRo

Chris McKivat (8)
This constant talk about how hard scots are training throughout the winter and how hard they are being worked by this infamous KT is a reoccurring theme throughout he past few years. Judging by results over the past 40 years and the previous years, this is either false and just a couple of parents trying to blow some wind into the helpless sails of scots rowing. Or indeed, it could be just that a scotsmans idea of hard work merely may be nothing compared to what some of the other schools rowers are enduring. The regatta season is fast approaching and all the early season work will be put in the spotlight, which may not mean much come March, however can bring a mental edge to whichever crew is performing early on.

This "infamous KT" i think started life out in the GPS coaching the Joeys 2nd VIII to victory in 2013 and continued for the 2014 season loosing out in that tight finish in the 2nd VIII against Shore. I have heard from a reliable source that he was set to continue at Joeys for a third year for the 2015 season but went to Scots for whatever reason (probably $) and then coached the Scots 2nd VIII to win in 2015. Ive never really liked the idea of coaches as being guns for hire, i think it is much more beneficial if the coaches are teaching at the school at the same time to form a better bond with the boys especially in the senior years.

L.Hudsen

Frank Nicholson (4)
This "infamous KT" i think started life out in the GPS coaching the Joeys 2nd VIII to victory in 2013 and continued for the 2014 season loosing out in that tight finish in the 2nd VIII against Shore.

That 2nd 8 race in 2014 was made more memorable by KT throwing his bike into the course with 200m left. Still chuckle about that to this day.

But yes I concur having coaches stay for a number of years builds culture that has allowed schools to dominate particular decades. For instance in the 80's Shore had not won for 20 years until Ubergang revived the dominance. Whilst most recently Shirlaw influence at Joeys has seen considerable improvement.

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
That 2nd 8 race in 2014 was made more memorable by KT throwing his bike into the course with 200m left. Still chuckle about that to this day.

Oh yes the infamous KT - certainly knows how to make a scene, whether shameless triumphalism in victory or epic boat park tanty in defeat, the "Academy" chief can be relied upon to BRING IT!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.