• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2017 Schools Rowing

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuvToRo

Chris McKivat (8)
Draw out for Head of the Parramatta. Only Grammar, Newington and High entered in the 1st and 2nd VIII. Newington has also entered two quads in the race.
As expected Shore have entered in all the fours with the 2nd to 4th Four being made up mainly of the Shore Junior VIIIs, looking at the names. With the 1st IV being half fours from last year and half Junior VIII's.

Newington VII's look to also be mostly Junior VIII's from last year with the exception of two or three who were in the fours or 1st VIII. It will be interesting to see how Newington go this year with only having two fours last year. Good news is that they now have 3 fours.

bigmac

Billy Sheehan (19)
So Grammar has entered into the third eight? Either they actually have four fours and a third eight (unlikely) or they've banded their top two fours together to form a third eight.
Thoughts?
If they are short on numbers like last year they are unlikely to field a 3rd eight. I suspect they have 2 eights, no fours and a third eight on the basis that they will be more competitive in that lower division.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
Y
That does seem to be more likely than them having 7 senior crews
But isn't this just the same as schools not fielding eights and having their top four rowers in the first four?
YES. Don't get me started on this topic. Unless you are an insomniac and wish to hear me bang on about this once more.

LuvToRo

Chris McKivat (8)
Another dominant display from Shore in the Head of the Parramatta today. However you can never read to much into the results as the course and times are quite irrelevant with ferris and washes coming from all angles. Interesting to see the Newington 1st and 2nd VIII's out there today, i would of thought they would of stuck to training like most of the other schools. Anyway its not for me to day what they should do.

Did anyone get to watch the regatta today?

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
It's not right and the GPS should have rules governing it, and be able to grant exemptions in cases (perhaps such as this) where it may be the appropriate boat class, similarly to the TAS, Grammar, and High, Rugby situation
Let's leave it at that so we don't go around and around in circles again and again
Agree - I won't go there. My views are well documented.

LuvToRo

Chris McKivat (8)
Draw is out for Saturday on RNSW. Really good to see that High have a 2nd VIII this year and Newington to have 3 fours.

rowerforlife

Peter Burge (5)
Any comments on the 1st VIII coaches and what they could bring to their crews this year? Who is the new coach for High, after the shocking and saddening death of Beryl Crockford?

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
Pretty interesting stuff. First time in the last 4-5 years that there is a full component of 3rd VIIIs but NO stand-alone Year 10 4th VIII race.

LuvToRo

Chris McKivat (8)
Pretty interesting stuff. First time in the last 4-5 years that there is a full component of 3rd VIIIs but NO stand-alone Year 10 4th VIII race.

Very interesting. Shore, Newington and High only schools not to have 3rd VIIIs. I believe 2013 was the last year where there was a full field of Year 10 4th VIIIs with every school having a 4th Year 10 VIII.

New coach for High is someone called Elliot Shackcloth-Bertinetti who i believe is associated with Rowing Australia in one way or the other. I think he will be an asset to high and take them in the right direction.

The other schools coaches are mostly the same with DJ, MD, ML and KT all returning. All are highly accredited and all have experienced success in one way or the other and some more than other particularly DJ. We all know what ML can do at Joeys, its going to be a matter of the people he is working with that will determine their results.

I think we will see a much more level playing field to start with this season but time will tell. 4 days to go.

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
I think we will see a much more level playing field to start with this season but time will tell. 4 days to go.[/quote]

We haven't had a prediction table offered yet for 2017 HOTR have we?

Think you're right about the level playing field but history shows us that whoever dominates the top VIIIs at the first regatta tends to reap success at HOTR.

Im going to have to disagree with behindtheshed's predication as well as luvtorows, as i can see a similar result panning out in the 1st VIII race as happened in last years regatta. Shore will win by a considerable margin in the 1st VIII and a boat lengths in the 2nd VIII. The fours are anyones guess. Feel free to disagree or agree its just my opinion.

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
Im going to have to disagree with behindtheshed's predication as well as luvtorows, as i can see a similar result panning out in the 1st VIII race as happened in last years regatta. Shore will win by a considerable margin in the 1st VIII and a boat lengths in the 2nd VIII. The fours are anyones guess. Feel free to disagree or agree its just my opinion.

You're probably right, in terms of which crew is first past the tower at HOTR - but in terms of of the top four in the eights races each week, I believe it will be shared around more between Shore, View, Joeys and perhaps Scots (if they regroup) or New if the hype is to be believed.

rowerforlife

Peter Burge (5)
Shore is having a shocker of a day so far, coming 6th in 4th IVs, 4th in 2nd IV and 6th in 1st IV. They managed to win the 3rd IV. Perhaps the early season predictions aren't so true now...

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
Surely those Fours results are just a demonstration of cruising through knowing everyone goes to the final? Looks like the 1st and 2nd VIIIs made a bit more of a race of it, but I predict the finals will show the full story.

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
I promise I will not repeat prior rants this season; for my opinion on unsportsmanlike entry into lower divisions by schools not bound by GPS rules, see previous years' threads.

But we just saw Cranbrook rowers ranked in their top 20 fight it out with Aug's rowers ranked in their top 16. Great. Oh btw it was a 3rd VIII race against crews full of rowers ranked in their shed's top.....32-40.

Aug's 1st VIII had fantastic results: in the 1st Four. Just sayin'.

bigmac

Billy Sheehan (19)
I promise I will not repeat prior rants this season; for my opinion on unsportsmanlike entry into lower divisions by schools not bound by GPS rules, see previous years' threads.

But we just saw Cranbrook rowers ranked in their top 20 fight it out with Aug's rowers ranked in their top 16. Great. Oh btw it was a 3rd VIII race against crews full of rowers ranked in their shed's top...32-40.

Aug's 1st VIII had fantastic results: in the 1st Four. Just sayin'.
Could non gps schools compete in 1 or 2 eights? Tough judgement call to make to ensure we dont get lopsided and unfair results. It should be about educational outcomes for the students not chasing easy wins or facing weekly thrashings. Kudos to grammar high who turn up in the top eights to battle it out each week.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Shore is having a shocker of a day so far, coming 6th in 4th IVs, 4th in 2nd IV and 6th in 1st IV. They managed to win the 3rd IV. Perhaps the early season predictions aren't so true now.
Well it's a shame when people speak to soon on this thread. Anyway what an interesting morning of racing I happened to pick the domination in the 1st Viii race however the 2nd viii race was a pleasent surprise but shouldn't be to much of a shock. The fours were a mixed bag interesting in the heats but shore coming through in the final. I'm sure many of you were out here this morning and have your own observations, I'm keen for next week, I shall see you all then.

L.Hudsen

Frank Nicholson (4)
on a side note was the Joeys VIII lateness to the start a tactic encouraged by Shirlaw and Sarah Cook or just tardiness ?

Status
Not open for further replies.