• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2017 Schools Rowing

Status
Not open for further replies.

IV The Win

Peter Burge (5)
If you have read the last few pages you would have seen my backing of Riverview as the main competition as well as joeys and kings in the mix. You clearly must not have that much experience or know that much about the current squads that are within the GPS crews not to think Shore are faviortes. Having said this anything is possible and it's still a long way to go till March 2017. And with reference to my recent addition to posting on these threads who's not to say I'm an old faviorte that wanted to start afresh with a new name. I hope my 2 cents was valuable to you Iv the win.
I'm not oblivious to what happened last year, and what is likely to happen again with the Shore 1st VIII in the coming year. However, just looking at recent years, statistics seem to be on my side. The HOTR winning 1st VIII for Shore in 2014 looked to be continuing with that dominance, but a disappointing 2015 crew threw a spanner in the works. The 2016 HOTR crew was mainly pushed on by the year 13 factor in my humble opinion. Similarly, the 2015 Joeys 1st VIII looked promising, but did not execute as well as they should have in 2016. I understand that you think you know more than me, but frankly statistics are on my side with my argument. I'm sure there were other issues in play, but I was simply alluding to the possibility that the 2017 Shore 1st VIII could follow in the footsteps of the disappointing 2015 crew

L.Hudsen

Frank Nicholson (4)
I'm not oblivious to what happened last year, and what is likely to happen again with the Shore 1st VIII in the coming year. However, just looking at recent years, statistics seem to be on my side. The HOTR winning 1st VIII for Shore in 2014 looked to be continuing with that dominance, but a disappointing 2015 crew threw a spanner in the works. The 2016 HOTR crew was mainly pushed on by the year 13 factor in my humble opinion. Similarly, the 2015 Joeys 1st VIII looked promising, but did not execute as well as they should have in 2016. I understand that you think you know more than me, but frankly statistics are on my side with my argument. I'm sure there were other issues in play, but I was simply alluding to the possibility that the 2017 Shore 1st VIII could follow in the footsteps of the disappointing 2015 crew

I do not understand the use of historical statistics to predict future sporting results, surely with different boys each season these statistics are irrelevant. Sure the current trend of shore in the past few years seems like a win followed by a loss, however this can be explained by weaker cattle. Likewise Joeys last year suffered compared to the previous year losing 6 year 12 rowers 3 that where of exceptional standard (one went on to do world juniors, be in the winning opens gold cup boat and the winning U19 8 at nationals). Although that being said your previous remark about complacency setting in seems more substantial and feasible in explaining your reasoning. With this being said I believe Shore, Riverview and Joeys are the three that will look to podium this year with the results depending on training perhaps complacency however not statistics. Additionally what is this year 13 factor ?

It appears I have been beaten to the punch.

bigmac

Billy Sheehan (19)
I did not.
L C Robson was as close as I got.
The next year we had 2 back from the winning VIII and 6 from the winning 2nd VIII - we could only manage 3rd after a disrupted 1st term with a composite boat (built by Maconachie of 18 footer fame) and crew illness.
However, Strokeside and I did manage a 1st XV victory over SJC at Hunters Hill in 78.
IIRC a crew member withdrew due to illness during and after races?

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

IV The Win

Peter Burge (5)
I'm not sure what your talking about refering to a year 13 factor. Yes I believe one boy was doing pathways however he wasn't older than anyone else and was doing this in order to compete in a world jrns crew for two years. You say you have statistics from 2014 being such a great crew however only one boy was returning to the following year? So how does that make for a good 2015. Must be your statistics saying so or your delusional sense of what makes a good rowing crew. And joeys 2015 a good crew as well however only one boy returned and yes they followed up with a similar season shore had in 2015. So you claim you have so called stats to back you up but this is of a false claim due to nothing really supporting your argument. Shore like the Joeys crew last year just had some good oarmen who geled well together. Also stated in previous post about sculling shore hold half the GPS viii from this year and joeys had similar numbers last year so maybe before you start bringing stats into this you should actually do some research.
Firstly, gelled*.
You do make some correct points, but not entirely. It's been pointed out that 3 people from Joeys 2015 dropped out, leaving their retention down to one person. This could be considered an entirely different scenario, but with two definitely returning, doing world jrns as you stated, this could be a similar occurrence to 2015 with a lack of retention after successful year is one of the major issues. I could be entirely wrong, but the main argument you brought up was retention, which although valid, begs the question as to how many from Shore will return for another season. Just my two cents

Wangipapa

Frank Row (1)
...begs the question as to how from Shore will return for another season. Just my two cents

Good question I think that we look for Shore, Joeys and Kings on the podium next year. Good appearance from the junior VIII's at HOTR, strong crew coming up to the GPS squad, Shore looks set to dominate next year as well unfortunately. Joeys I think will come back and lets not forget Kings or perhaps Grammar.

Wangipapa

Frank Row (1)
I believe the most important aspect is a strong Jrn cohort coming into the ranks which was mentioned above. And most boys I believe do return however I could be proven wrong. Anyway time shall tell.
Good point RowingLord time will tell however we can see a strong group coming into the GPS shed from the leading crews at last year's HOTR especially Shore and Joeys and maybe Scots.

ShoreOB

Bob McCowan (2)
Might have to correct you there Coxxy the majority of Shore rowers (97.6% i believe) do winter sport as it IS compulsory, they also must turn up to all training and games.

When I was at Shore it the not so special 2007 VIII, I was out on my professional badminton exception for the winter even though I had never wasn't very good and hit the court twice in the season with my father for a bit of fun, he beat me both times. Other boys had exception for similar things but in all truth we were just erging away our winter with some sessions down at SRC. Those who did sports were in the social teams at the bottom and missed training for rowing and turned up to a few games ensuring to play soft to avoid injury, It didn't do us any good seeing as we came 4th but I'm sure it is still done today.

IV The Win

Peter Burge (5)
Firstly I'm not sure where the theory of 3 from joeys didn't return I was under the impression all continued bar one which i didn't mention previously which I am fairly confident is correct as i just did some research. Yes you do make a good point on retention however I believe the most important aspect is a strong Jrn cohort coming into the ranks which was mentioned above. And most boys I believe do return however I could be proven wrong. I really do question your understanding of the GPS rowing competition and your understanding of what makes a winning crew perhaps. Anyway time shall tell.
Your criticism of those who you presume know less than you is pitiful. LBA would turn in their grave

bigmac

Billy Sheehan (19)
When I was at Shore it the not so special 2007 VIII, I was out on my professional badminton exception for the winter even though I had never wasn't very good and hit the court twice in the season with my father for a bit of fun, he beat me both times. Other boys had exception for similar things but in all truth we were just erging away our winter with some sessions down at SRC. Those who did sports were in the social teams at the bottom and missed training for rowing and turned up to a few games ensuring to play soft to avoid injury, It didn't do us any good seeing as we came 4th but I'm sure it is still done today.
Hampered by sick crew member at hor?
IIRC one guy collapsed short of the line?

Wangipapa

Frank Row (1)

It's okay ShoreOB pretty sure that doesn't happen anymore... my insider says that the deputy HM had a crackdown on that sort of stuff...

bigmac

Billy Sheehan (19)
BM i believe you are right and i actually know the details behind this story however since this so called old boy was part of the crew maybe he could enlighten us on what took place.
Similar thing happened to newington 1993. Hot favorites but 7 seat collapsed short of the line. Passed by Kings

IV The Win

Peter Burge (5)
From what i hear, and i hear a lot. Times have either changed or your probably not a Shore old boy like you say you are however i could be wrong.
It's funny how bias shines through so much of what you say. After going on a rant after someone defended their school, then scrambling to defend something that really either didn't need a response, or provided very little whatsoever to what was previously stated. Just my two cents

IV The Win

Peter Burge (5)
Its not at all bias i know a lot like some of the other members on the forum like Bigmac or Wangipapa or inside shoulder just to name a few. I just want the truth to be heard. I know of the 2007 incident very well and if that was a Shore old boy, which i know it isn't, they would be able to give a run down of what happened as well as the fact that exemptions from winter sport don't exist as i have heard numerous times and many other people have pointed out on the forum . Anyway i don't really want to engage in conversation with someone putting forward there 2 cents as most people should know, 2 cents doesn't exist anymore and actually gets rounded down to 0. So i guess your implying that your input is of zero value to the forum which i actually agree with you on, hopefully your future post will be of value perhaps 5 cents.
Certainly an apt name no doubt. The elitist nature and know-it-all level of omniscience, maybe you truly are the rowing lord. Tell me, do you just predict HOTR or do you use your omniscient powers to predict other things. I guess we will just have to wait and pray to see if the rowing lord favours us. Just my five cents

ShoreOB

Bob McCowan (2)
It's okay ShoreOB pretty sure that doesn't happen anymore. my insider says that the deputy HM had a crackdown on that sort of stuff.

We had won the week before but in saying that kings decided to scratch, come race day we were flying but towards the end 2 seats shoulder went bung and he was unable to continue collapsing in agony across the finish line, it was terrible for us all after all the weeks we put in through summer and winter. Also the deputy HM has boys that row purely to win races and they will always make sure they are the dominant rowing school seing as we are no good at any other highly recognised sports.

L.Hudsen

Frank Nicholson (4)
I think everyone should follow LBA advice regarding heated messages and take a bex.

Also ShoreOb as an oldboy of Shore you should be happy to know that Shore won the GPS soccer premiership last year showing dominance across more than one sporting code, albeit 2.

RowingAcademy

Bob McCowan (2)
ShoreOB, I completely agree that the SHORE deputy HM has boys that row purely to win races to make sure they are the most dominant rowing school. I don't blame them... It seems to work for them.

Although the same could be said for Scotts/Newington rugby program. Newingtonga? Very unethical.

Shore is developing their athletes from what they have. The 2014 National Champion VIII had 3 members from the 6th yr8 Quad. All it comes down to is hard work. Nothing else.

That's just my 3 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.