• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2017 Schools Rowing

Status
Not open for further replies.

SBrow

Larry Dwyer (12)
It's okay ShoreOB pretty sure that doesn't happen anymore. my insider says that the deputy HM had a crackdown on that sort of stuff.

I think it happens a little bit, a couple boys last year had exemptions for 'golf' or 'at risk of a back injury'. However their 7 seat from this season is playing in the 3rds Rugby, and their 2nd eight stroke man is the 1st XI goalie, so I'm fairly sure it's not the norm

Just my 8 cents

bigmac

Billy Sheehan (19)
I think it happens a little bit, a couple boys last year had exemptions for 'golf' or 'at risk of a back injury'. However their 7 seat from this season is playing in the 3rds Rugby, and their 2nd eight stroke man is the 1st XI goalie, so I'm fairly sure it's not the norm

Just my 8 cents
Back in my day we had to multi task. Rowing athletics rugby all seamlessly integrated into one long season.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

L.Hudsen

Frank Nicholson (4)

Just my 8 cents

Do not forget the shore 2nd VIII 3 man is one of Shore's best rugby players in their 1st 15. However transitioning sports like this must be hard with the pre seasons being so much longer these days.

Just my 7 cents

RowingAcademy

Bob McCowan (2)
Back in my day we had to multi task. Rowing athletics rugby all seamlessly integrated into one long season.

It is very easy to forget how hard these boys are working. Up to thirty hours a week for some of the more dominant schools. It is extremely ignorant for some of the aged members of this page to degrade rowers.

P.s. the GPS has it's own golf comp. There is no exemptions... Golf is a sport.

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
RL, although Shore's absolute annihilation in the Jnr VIII & 1st VIII over the whole country there is much confidence growing across the GPS shed's. The rugby season is quickly coming to a close with only FIVE more competition games to play.

My personal view is Scotts return from a rough 2016 season to be quite dominant through the 2017 season.

Thanks for that input, KT.

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
Firstly, gelled*.
You do make some correct points, but not entirely. It's been pointed out that 3 people from Joeys 2015 dropped out, leaving their retention down to one person. This could be considered an entirely different scenario, but with two definitely returning, doing world jrns as you stated, this could be a similar occurrence to 2015 with a lack of retention after successful year is one of the major issues. I could be entirely wrong, but the main argument you brought up was retention, which although valid, begs the question as to how many from Shore will return for another season. Just my two cents

Finally, someone as pedantic as I am! No longer am I alone in my chipping of others' spelling and grammar!

Hard 10

Allen Oxlade (6)
Being new to this conversation, naturally, I would like to take the time to quickly introduce myself.

I rowed for Newington and was Three seat in the 91 VIII, that won the AAGPS Head of the River. While witnessing Shores dominance on the banks of SIRC last season I heard about this forum, and I have now taken it upon myself to join.

I guess the main question this year is, will Shore's domination continue?
I am highly skeptical and have been wondering if complacency will get them.

My predictions are as follows:

1. Shore
2. Riverview
3. St Josephs
4. Newington
5. Scots
6. Kings
7. Grammar
8. High

Feel free to discuss, and ask me to justify such a point of view.

bigmac

Billy Sheehan (19)
Being new to this conversation, naturally, I would like to take the time to quickly introduce myself.

I rowed for Newington and was Three seat in the 91 VIII, that won the AAGPS Head of the River. While witnessing Shores dominance on the banks of SIRC last season I heard about this forum, and I have now taken it upon myself to join.

1. Shore
2. Riverview
3. St Josephs
4. Newington
5. Scots
6. Kings
7. Grammar
8. High

Welcome to the forum hard 10. Congrats on your win all those years ago. As a 1993 leaver i recall newington dominating the eights for years. I recall the 1990 crew in particular leaving all in their wake. Amazing crew.
Useful contributions and robust debate are welcome. Ignore any trolls

bigmac

Billy Sheehan (19)

1. Shore
2. Riverview
3. St Josephs
4. Newington
5. Scots
6. Kings
7. Grammar
8. High

IIRC the newington 1991 crew were pretty talented as well. Three future olympians??

bigmac

Billy Sheehan (19)
Hi Hard 10, if you are offering to justify, let us know your rationale for the placings. 1st place is well understood, but I am interested in how you selected the other placings, particularly Newington ahead of Scots and Kings?
Shore in front. Next five a complete lottery. Grammar high put the back.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Hi Hard 10, if you are offering to justify, let us know your rationale for the placings. 1st place is well understood, but I am interested in how you selected the other placings, particularly Newington ahead of Scots and Kings?

Easy. H10 did say he went to Newington, Old Boy blinkers 'n' all that.....

SBrow

Larry Dwyer (12)

1. Shore
2. Riverview
3. St Josephs
4. Newington
5. Scots
6. Kings
7. Grammar
8. High

This years results did not conform with the seasons trends, so predicting almost identical results seems odd, could you justify this please?

Hard 10

Allen Oxlade (6)
1. Shore - I believe that this crew will be strong yet again. Winning a Junior VIII nationals title is usually an indication of the things to come, but further Shore's display at the March HOTR really is, for me at least an indication of the strength of Shore Rowing at present, and with the expertise of the current coaches this should not be changing any time soon.

2. Riverview - Riverview to say the least were a surprise packet last year. There is a strong base (to my knowledge) of current YR 11's in both the 1st and 2nd VIII's moreover with a few competitive IV's I believe that Riverview will be right up there in contention. Also with the return of MD, for his second year his philosophy will only strength (one would hope) with another year at in charge.

3. St Josephs - St Joseph's college failed to fill the huge expectations that many of us held after an outstanding 2015 HOTR result. With a relatively new shed this year after being dominated by YR12's last year, I don't believe that St Josephs have the leadership and aura within the shed that makes a winning crew. I think the boys in 'cerise' will have to wait another few years.

4. Newington - Michael Morgan will be yet again trying to improve this Newington outfit. This may sound 'dubious' but i believe that the combinations from the Newington 1st IV from last year will slot in nicely into the VIII, moreover these boys have been training in a IV during the offseason and certainly hold unquestionable ambition. The Newington Second VIII last season was 1.4 seconds off second place placing fourth, and i believe that there are a reasonable amount of Year 11's continuing from this crew which should see a high level of competition for the VIII, I guess only time will tell.

5. Scots - I think Scots will be a 'hit' or 'miss' crew this year. Unfortunately last year things only managed to get worse and worse culminating in a disappointing season. I do not believe this year Scots will have the size and psychological frame work that is vital for rowing at this level.

6. Kings - Like scots i believe that Kings will be a 'hot or 'miss' crew yet again this season. They had a relatively strong Junior VIII crew last year coming second with a time of 6:14, and this is a comfortable base to be building on for the next year. However my concerns lie with the Second VIII's poor performance last season. Having come 6th with a time that would have placed 6th in the 1st JNR VIII race I personally do not see a strong season coming from North Parramatta.

7. Grammar - I believe Grammar has been in steady decline since its win in 2011. Grammar is significantly restricted due to the schools academic focus which undoubtedly takes precedence over Rowing. Unfortunately I believe that this should not see them challenging at all this season.
8. High

Of course this is 'MY' personal opinion feel free to discuss.

bigmac

Billy Sheehan (19)
1. Shore - I believe that this crew will be strong yet again. Winning a Junior VIII nationals title is usually an indication of the things to come, but further Shore's display at the March HOTR really is, for me at least an indication of the strength of Shore Rowing at present, and with the expertise of the current coaches this should not be changing any time soon.

2. Riverview - Riverview to say the least were a surprise packet last year. There is a strong base (to my knowledge) of current YR 11's in both the 1st and 2nd VIII's moreover with a few competitive IV's I believe that Riverview will be right up there in contention. Also with the return of MD, for his second year his philosophy will only strength (one would hope) with another year at in charge.

3. St Josephs - St Joseph's college failed to fill the huge expectations that many of us held after an outstanding 2015 HOTR result. With a relatively new shed this year after being dominated by YR12's last year, I don't believe that St Josephs have the leadership and aura within the shed that makes a winning crew. I think the boys in 'cerise' will have to wait another few years.

4. Newington - Michael Morgan will be yet again trying to improve this Newington outfit. This may sound 'dubious' but i believe that the combinations from the Newington 1st IV from last year will slot in nicely into the VIII, moreover these boys have been training in a IV during the offseason and certainly hold unquestionable ambition. The Newington Second VIII last season was 1.4 seconds off second place placing fourth, and i believe that there are a reasonable amount of Year 11's continuing from this crew which should see a high level of competition for the VIII, I guess only time will tell.

5. Scots - I think Scots will be a 'hit' or 'miss' crew this year. Unfortunately last year things only managed to get worse and worse culminating in a disappointing season. I do not believe this year Scots will have the size and psychological frame work that is vital for rowing at this level.

6. Kings - Like scots i believe that Kings will be a 'hot or 'miss' crew yet again this season. They had a relatively strong Junior VIII crew last year coming second with a time of 6:14, and this is a comfortable base to be building on for the next year. However my concerns lie with the Second VIII's poor performance last season. Having come 6th with a time that would have placed 6th in the 1st JNR VIII race I personally do not see a strong season coming from North Parramatta.

7. Grammar - I believe Grammar has been in steady decline since its win in 2011. Grammar is significantly restricted due to the schools academic focus which undoubtedly takes precedence over Rowing. Unfortunately I believe that this should not see them challenging at all this season.
8. High

Of course this is 'MY' personal opinion feel free to discuss.
Good analysis. Can you explain the decline in newington since the glory years of the 1990s given that morgan is till there? Has he changed or has the school changed?

Hard 10

Allen Oxlade (6)
Good analysis. Can you explain the decline in newington since the glory years of the 1990s given that morgan is till there? Has he changed or has the school changed?

I believe there has been more of a shift to other sports, and a change in the demographic's of the Newington boys. Can you win without a six foot crew? Demographic's also affect Grammar and High to my best knowledge. I don't think you can challenge without tall timber.

Another example is the transition of Newington from Rugby to Football, Football is now the #1 sport at the school.

bigmac

Billy Sheehan (19)
I believe there has been more of a shift to other sports, and a change in the demographic's of the Newington boys. Can you win without a six foot crew? Demographic's also affect Grammar and High to my best knowledge. I don't think you can challenge without tall timber.

Another example is the transition of Newington from Rugby to Football, Football is now the #1 sport at the school.
We were always led to believe morgan had some magical secret training regime that created the Super crews from the early 90s. Am sure they had some talented rowers as well to support the training regime. The 2m tall german fella stood out in the 92 crew. Stewart twins were also handy rowers.

The grammar crew of 2011 had a strong training regime but also had some very talented kids in there. Once the talent is gone the training can only do so much.

SBrow

Larry Dwyer (12)

The King's second eight was all year 12 except one, and from what I heard, were tested by some late crew changes which they never quite recovered from.
They were also a very short crew, most of the crew being under 6 foot wouldn't have helped in the headwind this year

L.Hudsen

Frank Nicholson (4)
The King's second eight was all year 12 except one, and from what I heard, were tested by some late crew changes which they never quite recovered from.
They were also a very short crew, most of the crew being under 6 foot wouldn't have helped in the headwind this year

Surely weight and a higher than normal stroke weight would be more important than height in a headwind ? Height is often overestimated and does not necessarily translate into stroke length as the tallest rowers can have tight hamstring and row short strokes. However granted they have more potential but at GPS level does it necessarily equal boat speed ?

Status
Not open for further replies.