• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2017 TV ratings and crowd figures

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

Don’t mean to be a pedant, but isn’t this ratings figures for rugby union games, thought ‘other sports’ resided elsewhere in the forum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Don’t mean to be a pedant, but isn’t this ratings figures for rugby union games, thought ‘other sports’ resided elsewhere in the forum

OK But This is last nights Basketball ratings on the ABC. I am positive rugby could do better. Fri TV #NBL #ABC #ILLatPER 43k Again maybe just me and maybe I am unique but I find these things interesting and Basketball, Netball and Soccer are our benchmarks. Hand on heart we could beat the Basketball and Netball. But happy to move to another thread if that's what people want.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
@NRC_Live: Round 7 was our best ratings weekend on @FOXSportsAUS for the past two seasons, reaching over 150,000 viewers! If you're not tuning in you're missing out on some great footy! #NRC17

Great news on the NRC ratings front if this tweet can be believed.

The usual ratings source don't show these kind of numbers, hopefully the NRC just has better info.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
It appears contrary to popular opinion that there be life in the old domestic Rugby beast!

What shall we do?

half

Alan Cameron (40)
@NRC_Live: Round 7 was our best ratings weekend on @FOXSportsAUS for the past two seasons, reaching over 150,000 viewers! If you're not tuning in you're missing out on some great footy! #NRC17

Great news on the NRC ratings front if this tweet can be believed.

The usual ratings source don't show these kind of numbers, hopefully the NRC just has better info.

Makes sense if its a cumulative figures over the season. Be interesting to compare last years cumulative figure.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
If we can get this confirmed then those two games out rated pretty much any two Super Rugby feature Aus teams this season.
I had a look at the top 20 shows over the weekend and neither game featured in the lists - so official ratings were less than about 40k for each.

If that's correct, it's still rating less than almost all Super Rugby games

I think they've probably added together the two highest peaks for each of the games or something like that.

Good progress in any case

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I had a look at the top 20 shows over the weekend and neither game featured in the lists - so official ratings were less than about 40k for each.

If that's correct, it's still rating less than almost all Super Rugby games

I think they've probably added together the two highest peaks for each of the games or something like that.

Good progress in any case

Perhaps that figure includes the streamed games as well. They could be legitimately counted as Fox Sports broadcasts.

Either it's good to see. Says it isn't too far from becoming a viable standalone product. Imagine what a bit of marketing and engagement would do.

T

TOCC

I would assume they are including the two streamed games as well.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

They confirmed it was just the two games.
Strewth is probably right In that they just added the peak from both games together

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I think this just confirms the future of live sports is online. I personally don't have Foxtel so can't watch Super Rugby, but I pay $5 a month (I think?) to watch the NRC's two live games and I love it. I imagine there's a lot of people like me who are doing this, hence the impressive numbers.

Now if they got their shit together and could offer a similar service for the rest of rugby, I'd very happily pay a decent monthly fee for this.

T

TOCC

My only issue is the quality of the streams this year, they seem to have dropped in reliability.

And, last year they were available to stream off the FoxSports App on AppleTV, this years its hit/miss as to whether that week games are made available.

I would happily pay for it if the service was consistent and reliable, currently it’s not. And it’s quite frustrating when you plan your day around watching a game, and when you go to watch it the streams unavailable or constantly dropping out.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Streaming might get better in time, but right now it is unreliable and of pretty poor quality, as pointed out by TOCC, and on top of that there are fewer camera angles so the product isn't as good as that on Foxsports, and the commentary is is a real turn-off, literally. When I watch the live streams, I do so in silence rather than listen to the drivel and over the top volume of the commentary team.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Streaming might get better in time, but right now it is unreliable and of pretty poor quality, as pointed out by TOCC, and on top of that there are fewer camera angles so the product isn't as good as that on Foxsports, and the commentary is is a real turn-off, literally. When I watch the live streams, I do so in silence rather than listen to the drivel and over the top volume of the commentary team.

Yeah, I cringed pretty hard when Drew Mitchell made not one but two blue balls jokes in the opening minutes of the Rams/QldCountry game last weekend. Not good and not funny.

T

TOCC

The volume of the commentating seems to fluctuate, at one point in turned it up next minute my neighbors are listening to Sean Maloney scream out of my speakers. All these things add to the production costs and overheads, which is obviously the reason why, if ratings remain solid then it may help justify it for the the future though.

Status
Not open for further replies.