• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2017 Under-20 Competitions including Oceania & World U20s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I think it’s subjective, they are all at similar points in their development. Blyth and Hockings did well as the lock pair for QCountry in the NRC, and likewise Swain with Vikings.

It certainly is subjective, but it is my opinion that he is a better player now and possibly a better prospect than the two locks from the Reds. He is already a lot more developed that Hoskings and plays a lot harder, both carrying the ball and especially in defense. He is at least as proficient in the lineout and at taking the ball from kickoff. But despite their relative abilities, he is certainly one of the best young locks coming through and having turned 20 this year would seem to be eligible. His omission is a travesty, as it was last year as well.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It certainly is subjective, but it is my opinion that he is a better player now and possibly a better prospect than the two locks from the Reds. He is already a lot more developed that Hoskings and plays a lot harder, both carrying the ball and especially in defense. He is at least as proficient in the lineout and at taking the ball from kickoff. But despite their relative abilities, he is certainly one of the best young locks coming through and having turned 20 this year would seem to be eligible. His omission is a travesty, as it was last year as well.

You have to be born in 1998 or later to be eligible for the under 20 world champs in 2018. It would seem he turned 20 in July this year (with a 1997 year of birth). He is not eligible.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
If you are talking about Swain, he turns 21 in 2018, and not eligible.

On the subject of Locks, does anyone know the whereabouts of Wiltshire and Wilson? I thought both would have made this extended squad

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Thanks BH and THB, I thought the eligibility would have been aged 20 or under on 1 January. My mistake, and explains at least to me his omission.

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
I should watch some rugby? I've been watching Isaac since he was 12. He is a 10. They played him in the centres I'd say just to get him in the team and I very much agree he is ultra impressive. Such great tackling for a young inside back (much like his brothers).

The one I'm suprised not to see there is Josh Fenner. Does anyone know about where he is? Played most of the year starting in the second row in Sunnybank's Premier Grade tea.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Selection seems to be inconsistently applied based on the individual circumstances

Whereas this year Ha'angana was left at home, presumably by request due to our ridiculous injury list across backrow and lock.

There were some posts about Haangana non selection in one of these threads. I seem to remember someone saying he was still of School age and too young to play U20.

No such problem to play in Super.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
29062567_10155977374050731_2147940052699709440_n.jpg

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
No Hamish Stewart?
The only explanation could be that last year, the likes of Stewart, Perese, Valentino weren't released by their Super Rugby clubs, nor were player like Hutchison and McNamara were not released by 7s until just before the JWC, so weren't in original squad, but played in Georgia

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The only explanation could be that last year, the likes of Stewart, Perese, Valentino weren't released by their Super Rugby clubs, nor were player like Hutchison and McNamara were not released by 7s until the JWC, so weren't in original squad, but played in Georgia

I thought of that but with Hockings and McDermott there, it doesn't make sense. But maybe Thorn has said we are happy with our depth in those positions but not at 10?

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Perese turns 21 this year doesn't he? Ineligible?
Sorry, I mean last year he wasn't released because he was playing Super Rugby, same with other names mentioned. If they follow that precedence, it would explain Stewart's exclusion

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
I thought of that but with Hockings and McDermott there, it doesn't make sense. But maybe Thorn has said we are happy with our depth in those positions but not at 10?
I'd say you're correct there. Stewart was outstanding at last years JWC

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
The only explanation could be that last year, the likes of Stewart, Perese, Valentino weren't released by their Super Rugby clubs, nor were player like Hutchison and McNamara were not released by 7s until just before the JWC, so weren't in original squad, but played in Georgia

http://www.redsrugby.com.au/News/Ne...nior-Wallabies-squad-for-Gold-Coast-camp.aspx

Good article on the Reds website about the U20 boys.

I couldn't find any other press releases today, but there must have been one to start this.

I do hope the Reds either start using Stewart or release him for U20.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
http://www.redsrugby.com.au/News/Ne...nior-Wallabies-squad-for-Gold-Coast-camp.aspx

Good article on the Reds website about the U20 boys.

I couldn't find any other press releases today, but there must have been one to start this.

I do hope the Reds either start using Stewart or release him for U20.

Agreed, they held him back last year when he played minimal time off the bench. Didn't help with continuity for JWC

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Confusing for the 2 lads. Guess 1 of them is up in QLD
I don't know which one.

Uni are claiming its Tom the prop.

But they are using the same press release that I posted earlier that the Reds used.

Given there are 8 Props in the squad without Tom Osbourne , I am thinking it should read Luke Osbourne (full back) - and re reading the Reds article does say full back.

Status
Not open for further replies.