• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2017 Under-20 Competitions including Oceania & World U20s

Status
Not open for further replies.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Yep.

The following guys are eligible I think:

2. Jordan Uelese
3. Sham Vui
4. Harry Hockings
5. Ryan McCauley
6. Angus Scott-Young
7. Liam Wright
8. Rob Leota

9. Harry Nucifora
10. Nick Jooste
11. Liam McNamara
12. Sione Tuipolotu
13. Izaiah Perese
14. Henry Hutchinson
15. Jack Maddocks

Strong side when you consider some other guys previously mentioned (Kennewell, MacGregor). Big front row, but smaller second row than last year. Two big boppers in the backrow. I'm excited at the new prospects like Rob Valentini.

Could move Leota to the second row for Hockings and bring Valentini into 8. Leota trains there a bit for the Rebels.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
From the Brumbies web site:

Up-and-coming scrumhalf Ryan Lonergan has signed with the Brumbies for the 2017 season.

The 18-year old has risen through the ranks of ACT representative Rugby as a junior.

In 2015 he was a member of the Brumbies victorious U17 Junior Gold Cup side and was selected in the Australian Schools Barbarians squad.

Earlier this year the Trinity Christian School product was a member of the Brumbies Colts side for the Super U20s Championship and trained with the Brumbies Super Rugby squad during pre-season.

Lonergan was selected in the Australian Schoolboys side in 2016 to tour New Zealand and play against Samoa Schools and the New Zealand Schoolboys.

Lonergan, who plays for Tuggeranong Vikings, has signed a two-year deal, beginning with a development contract for 2017.

Born 6/4/98 so will be eligible for next two years.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Swinton also played second row for Sydney Uni 1st grade this year at a ridiculously young age. From what I saw in GF he's a big lump of a lad. He could add a bit of size and aggression.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
In addition to the names suggested I think Sunia Finefeuiaki probably gets a look in as a 6/8 (probably playing Leota's role from last year where he rides the pine and starts one game) and MAYBE Hunter Pasami (bottom aged too).

I also could see Josh Coward getting a looksee if they consider 7s guys.

That's all from the Rebels, and we'd be pretty happy to with Uelese, Leota, Tuipulotu, Maddocks, Finefeuiaki, Pasami, and Victorian affiliated Coward.

My XV is probably:
1. Opeti Helu
2. Jordan Uelese
3. Sham Vui
4. Rob Leota
5. Ryan McCauley
6. Angus Scott-Young
7. Liam Wright
8. Rob Valentini

9. Harry Nucifora
10. Nick Jooste
11. Josh Coward
12. Sione Tuipolotu
13. Izaiah Perese
14. Henry Hutchinson
15. Jack Maddocks

Up-and-coming scrumhalf Ryan Lonergan has signed with the Brumbies for the 2017 season.

Good prospect, but I think he's the bench 9 for Aus 20s in 2017 and probably starts the following year.

Swinton also played second row for Sydney Uni 1st grade this year at a ridiculously young age. From what I saw in GF he's a big lump of a lad. He could add a bit of size and aggression.

There you go, we always seem short of locks so that's good to hear.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^Opeti Helu is most likely out of action for the next two years as he has obligations to his faith.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
^^^Opeti Helu is most likely out of action for the next two years as he has obligations to his faith.

They're pretty quick to give dispensation to athletes. There are many ways to serve your faith.

If he's smart he's look at Robbie Abel relatively disappointing career trajectory and reconsider.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
. After watching the teams play I felt there was enough quality there to make the semi's two out of those three years.

2016 was our big chance - and pardon the pun because we had a big forward pack and they performed well, including, by and large in the scrums.

It was the backs that under-performed and they weren't crash hot in 2015 either. It was galling to see the Pommie backs this year being better than ours when we had edged them in the forwards: a rare happening.

I wouldn't put too much blame on Thompson though. As one who has been to their practice sessions in Narrabeen over the last three years there weren't too many that were obvious stars on show, and you couldn't fault the input as far as I could judge it.

Good to see Nic Henderson back with the group. I stood near him when the Rebels' Under 20s were playing at Sydney Uni and was impressed - and thought his work at Narrabeen was top notch.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
^^^^^^^^

Fair comment Lee, the English backs were huge, athletic and well organized where we were experimenting with the centre's and outside backs. Players need to be selected in positions they normally play e.g. Magnay/Jurd albeit the red card did us no favors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
The core U20s have been training since October. I imagine that's the fringe Reds crew plus guys like Hamish Stewart, Liam MacNamara etc.

The '16 Schoolboys have been getting an early look in these last few weeks, but the full extended squad only assembles in January.

That squad gets cut down to 30 + shadows in late January / early February for competition to start in (I think) March.

I'd be surprised if they didn't roll out this team.

1. Richie Asiata (ACGS)
2. Josh Webb (ACGS)
3. Harry Hoopert (TGS) - TT will be playing Super Rugby IMO
4. Harry Hockings (ACGS)
5. Angus Blyth (TSS) - Lukhan Tui in Reds
6. Angus Scott-Young (ACGS)
7. Liam Wright (ACGS)
8. Reece Hewat (NC)
9. Harry Nucifora (ACGS)
10. Hamish Stewart (TGS)
11. Liam MacNamara (BSHS)
12. Fred Dorrough (TSS) C
13. Dylan Riley (TSS) - Perese + Magnay in Super Rugby
14. Joey Fittock (TSS)
15. Jayden Ngamanu (BBC)

16. Josh Taylor (TSS)
17. Gavin Luka (NC)
18. James Gall (ACGS)
19. ?
20. Fraser McReight (BGS)
21. Jordan Lenac (TSS)
22. Alex Horan (GT)
23. Will Eadie (GT)

With some other exciting up and comers like Matt Faessler (TGS), Tony Hunt (NC), Kalala Meni (NC), Sean Farrell (BBC) waiting in the wings for injuries.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
King these players are over age for this season, Dorrough, Fitock, Tui, Tupo, Asiata, Taylor & Magnay.
I'd prefer to see Alex Horan at 10 with Hunt outside of him and Luka up front the rest looks good. Sam Edwards is another option on the wing with Eli Piltz another half back.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Malala Meni is not with the QLD rugby anymore. He may have switched codes or gone to the Force. Hunt is training with the Reds fringe squad and by all accounts is looking good for the 12 spot.

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Malala Meni is not with the QLD rugby anymore. He may have switched codes or gone to the Force. Hunt is training with the Reds fringe squad and by all accounts is looking good for the 12 spot.

Kalala Meni is still with rugby, still with qld and still with UQ.

Just had a couple of injuries in a row which has kept out of the spot light for a bit.

Should be good to go for the u20's super stuff

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Connor Maroney should be there or thereabouts? Would also think Efi Maafu would be in the 23.
Efi Maafu should be starting hooker, not sure Connor Maroney is still eligible he may be with the Fitock/Dorrough cohort.

Status
Not open for further replies.