• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2017 Under-20 Competitions including Oceania & World U20s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
If/when the cuts go ahead, you have a home and away season by only extending the season one week, which is the extra 2 games for everyone.

As long as they get opportunities to play club rugby as well.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
I heard that we have seen the last of the super 20's comp, to be replaced by u19's group (not sure on how it's set up) based on the NZ system starting 2017.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
I heard that we have seen the last of the super 20's comp, to be replaced by u19's group (not sure on how it's set up) based on the NZ system starting 2017.

That would go against the changes happening in the Qld colts competition next year which is rumored to be changing to u20's

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)

I don't really think this is a massive advantage TBH.

If you run an end of season U19s (during the NRC window like in NZ) it only runs 3 months or so before the Super 20s do currently.

Given that players would be then sent back to their Super Rugby sides for conditioning (which they currently do anyway), and probably go into camp for a reasonably similar window, it's just not a big deal.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
That would go against the changes happening in the Qld colts competition next year which is rumored to be changing to u20's
Any ideas why they are doing that?

Iirc they shifted to u19 in the late 90s to try and get more players playing straight out of school.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
From what I've heard they are looking at an u19's comp similar to nrc in 2018 to prepare for u20 JWC the following year. 2017 they will be identifying a group and working with them in training camps and in between at the respective unions in smaller groups from which they will pick a team to rep in 2018.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
So there would be no official inter-state competition between now and the 2018 JWC, neither in the Super U20s, nor the old Southern states & National Champs, nor any new comp?

Sounds like a great idea, that surely won't end up favouring nepotistic selection of players based on their state, school, and incumbency.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
I've heard they're bringing in u18's and u20's. If you're first year out of school you will be u18's and those two years out and three years out are u20's. The idea behind it is the jump from u19's to mens rugby is one many young bodies a having trouble with.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I don't really think this is a massive advantage TBH.

If you run an end of season U19s (during the NRC window like in NZ) it only runs 3 months or so before the Super 20s do currently.

Given that players would be then sent back to their Super Rugby sides for conditioning (which they currently do anyway), and probably go into camp for a reasonably similar window, it's just not a big deal.
Most u 20s are not in super rugby sides

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Yes, but most are involved with their S&C facilities and programs.
Not really. It depends which you are talking about, I think. The Brumbies for instance only contracted players get full access to that stuff and those in the u20s program are trained separately.
This year the tahs sent most of their u19s back to their Shute shield clubs and picked their 20s from 2nd year out of school players, with 3 or 4 exceptions.
If u20s isn't fostered we will delay any recovery from the general malaise afflicting senior pro rugby, if there is to be a recovery: we already lose a massive number to league in 18-20 because they get paid a bit and have a clear pathway to pro footy.
See I hunts comments front page.

T

TOCC

Not really. It depends which you are talking about, I think. The Brumbies for instance only contracted players get full access to that stuff and those in the u20s program are trained separately.
This year the tahs sent most of their u19s back to their Shute shield clubs and picked their 20s from 2nd year out of school players, with 3 or 4 exceptions.
If u20s isn't fostered we will delay any recovery from the general malaise afflicting senior pro rugby, if there is to be a recovery: we already lose a massive number to league in 18-20 because they get paid a bit and have a clear pathway to pro footy.
See I hunts comments front page.

I would be very surprised if the NSW U20s aren't provided with gym access and programs, even if they weren't on a Super Rugby contract

They certainly were in other states, yes they trained seperate, but they still had gym programs and S&C coaches during the preseason. It's a reduced workload compared to the senior squad due to different CBA requirements.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
I would be very surprised if the NSW U20s aren't provided with gym access and programs, even if they weren't on a Super Rugby contract

They certainly were in other states, yes they trained seperate, but they still had gym programs and S&C coaches during the preseason-season. It's a reduced workload compared to the senior squad due to different CBA requirements.

Correct.

This article specifically says so for NSW as well - https://rugbynews.net.au/2017-nsw-gen-blue-u20-u19-squads-announced/

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

They certainly were in other states, yes they trained seperate, but they still had gym programs and S&C coaches during the preseason. It's a reduced workload compared to the senior squad due to different CBA requirements.

Correct.

This article specifically says so for NSW as well - https://rugbynews.net.au/2017-nsw-gen-blue-u20-u19-squads-announced/

I only have direct knowledge of the position with the Brumbies but you need to talk to the Gen Blue U19s to see how that went

T

TOCC

I only have direct knowledge of the position with the Brumbies but you need to talk to the Gen Blue U19s to see how that went

So you're saying the Brumbies U20s had no gym access facilitated through the Brumbies and no S&C coach or program?

Yes they train separately, but they still had a pre-season, Brumbies even made a few media releases about it.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
So you're saying the Brumbies U20s had no gym access facilitated through the Brumbies and no S&C coach or program?

No.
I was responding to this - they are not in super rugby sides for the most part and has been confirmed some of them get some time with the adults
Given that players would be then sent back to their Super Rugby sides for conditioning

T

TOCC

Fair enough then, think we're arguing over the semantics of the definition of what a Super Rugby club is then, i would consider the U20's program as part of them, you don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.