• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2017 Under-20 Competitions including Oceania & World U20s

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Someone please confirm but I understand the U20 Word Championship is held annually and next year (2018) is scheduled for Argentina.

So then how does Australia select this team without a U20 tournament?

Blazing Saddles

Sydney Middleton (9)
Someone please confirm but I understand the U20 Word Championship is held annually and next year (2018) is scheduled for Argentina.

Depends who is selecting?? Feel sorry for this age group--- the same one in their wisdom the ARU decided to can the Under 16's nationals , only to reinstate a couple of years later.... no wonder we lose players to overseas or simply just give the game away

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
There are some games being played in September October between Tahs, Brumbies and Rebels which will provide personnel for Oz camps.
Have not heard anything about Reds.
Do not know whether Cron remains involved.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
There are some games being played in September October between Tahs, Brumbies and Rebels which will provide personnel for Oz camps.
Have not heard anything about Reds.
Do not know whether Cron remains involved.
The player's seem to think this squad will be only for the School leavers. Not the current U19 crop playing colts.

Pretty sketchy detail for something that will happen in a few weeks

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

They are transitioning to have it six months earlier so they have more preparation time.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
I heard Cron has moved on to an assistant Super Rugby role. U20 comp has been canned for an u19 (NRC type) comp similar to the NZ model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Still going to need an U20 coach assuming Australia is going to field a side in Argentina.

But I can been trawling various international websites and I can't see definitive confirmation that Argentina is a goer.

Can anyone confirm?

T

TOCC

World Rugby won't cut the U20s, it will certainly be a goer for the current RWC cycle.

Any tournament structure which gets the kids playing more consistent game time is a positive outcome.

S

sidelineview

It's got me stumped.
There will be a U20s World Championship next year but there wont be an Australian National U20s comp; but instead there will be an U19s comp in preparation for the following year?
Doesnt make a lot of sense ...........
The U20s squad will obviously need to play games in the lead up to the World U20s

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It's got me stumped.
There will be a U20s World Championship next year but there wont be an Australian National U20s comp; but instead there will be an U19s comp in preparation for the following year?
Doesnt make a lot of sense .....
The U20s squad will obviously need to play games in the lead up to the World U20s

The Under 19s comp late in the year is the same group that would make up the under 20s comp early the next year.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
It's got me stumped.
I've heard, current u20 eligible players will be selected and assemble periodically (camps) through to JRWC and play Oceania Championship but there will be no Super 20's next year.

T

TOCC

It's got me stumped.

It makes perfect sense.. if it were open to U20s then half the players would be too old for the U20s World Championship the following year. Most countries already have similar programs, Australia is just late to the party.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Ver
The player's seem to think this squad will be only for the School leavers. Not the current U19 crop playing colts.

Pretty sketchy detail for something that will happen in a few weeks
Doubt it. The candidates in that cohort have other commitments.
The players have been told when training is and when the games are.
There was a clear preference this year for second year u20s. It seemed to work better.

T

TOCC

I've heard, current u20 eligible players will be selected and assemble periodically (camps) through to JRWC and play Oceania Championship but there will be no Super 20's next year.

Oceania Championship won't change I imagine, that will be the time for the squad to assemble and train together before the JWC, this is how I see it:

Oct-Nov: Super Rugby U19s tournament
Dec-Jan: select U20s players conduct pre-season with Super Rugby clubs
Feb-Mar: Club Rugby with periodic training camps
Apr: Squad assembles, trial matches and Oceania Championship
May-Jun: JWC

S

sidelineview

It makes perfect sense.. if it were open to U20s then half the players would be too old for the U20s World Championship the following year. Most countries already have similar programs, Australia is just late to the party.

OK, but what about the current year, meaning the current U20s players and preparation for the U20s Oceania and World Championships.

S

sidelineview

Oceania Championship won't change I imagine, that will be the time for the squad to assemble and train together before the JWC, this is how I see it:

Oct-Nov: Super Rugby U19s tournament
Dec-Jan: select U20s players conduct pre-season with Super Rugby clubs
Feb-Mar: Club Rugby with periodic training camps
Apr: Squad assembles, trial matches and Oceania Championship
May-Jun: JWC

OK, trial matches are played. Seems an inadequate preparation but we'll see how it pans out.

Status
Not open for further replies.