• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2017 Under-20 Competitions including Oceania & World U20s

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Ver
Doubt it. The candidates in that cohort have other commitments.
The players have been told when training is and when the games are.
There was a clear preference this year for second year u20s. It seemed to work better.
Maybe the Brumbies have been told of these plans.

I guess there is some logic. I would have thought some of these players were a good chance of NRC selection.

Not sure about using only the higher age group. Gen Blue got a fair amount of criticism this year for not looking for talent in the U19 group.

S

sidelineview

Players who will be eligible for the under 20s next year will be part of the matches commencing later this year.

OK, I get that but there was criticism re the preparation for this years U20s World Champs, so it'll be interesting to see how the preparation is handled minus a Super 20s comp.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
OK, I get that but there was criticism re the preparation for this years U20s World Champs, so it'll be interesting to see how the preparation is handled minus a Super 20s comp.

I think the whole point is to start the preparation earlier so that the coaches can start preparing a squad for the JWC sooner.

A big issue with the current setup is that the squad is brought together with very little preparation time prior to playing the few trial games they get before heading to the JWC.

T

TOCC

OK, but what about the current year, meaning the current U20s players and preparation for the U20s Oceania and World Championships.

i don't understand the question? The U19s tournament will be the same players who are elegible for the U20s World Championship tournament 8months later..

All this is doing, is bringing the Super Rugby U20s tournament forward a few months, ultimately the program length prior to the U20 World Championship has now been extended. Nothing else has changed besides allowing the players to return to club rugby in Jan-Mar.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
They are transitioning to have it six months earlier so they have more preparation time.
A good idea too. It'll be under 19s for this year, which makes them under 20s next. Open to all players, including those who couldn't play because of Super Rugby duties

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S

sidelineview

i don't understand the question? The U19s tournament will be the same players who are elegible for the U20s World Championship tournament 8months later..

All this is doing, is bringing the Super Rugby U20s tournament forward a few months, ultimately the program length prior to the U20 World Championship has now been extended. Nothing else has changed besides allowing the players to return to club rugby in Jan-Mar.

Except that next season's U20s miss out.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)

Totally agree on the club rugby aspect. Too many players missed a chunk of game time riding the bench, then got discarded when the Super Rugby and 7s players became available Both players and clubs would have benefited from playing colts/grade

T

TOCC

Except that next season's U20s miss out.

Hmm, how can I put this differently..

For U20s a player must be under 20 years of age as of the 1st January in the year that the tournament is to be held.

So, for the 2018 U20s World Championship, a player must be born on the 1st Jan 1998 or later. So the Super Rugby U19 tournament planned for 2017 will utilise the same age cut off(I.e born on 1st January 1998 or later). This is to ensure the same playing group will be the ones eligible for the U20s World Championship in 2018.

Any player good enough who was born in 1997, already played in the 2017 JWC, thus no one missed out..

S

sidelineview

Ok, I was confused but now i think I see the light ...
Instead of next year having a Super 20s comp starting from late Feb, an U19s Super Rugby comp will be run late 2017 and completed pre Xmas.
Thus allowing more time for preparation.
Oui, oui Monsieur?

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
The Super 20s comp was not a success. It was a drawn out process that left selection of Australian team very late , and about 1/3 of the OZ team did not even play in the Super Rugby 20s due to senior Super Rugby commitments or 7s duties. It was an unnecessary burden on expenditure and time for the players, and the last few results showed it wasn't the way. As always in selections, the selectors pretty much have their mind up before a ball is kicked. I believe they are on the right track to have games before Christmas, pick a team and let the players not selected return to their clubs and focus on combinations and trials several months (not weeks) before the JWC

S

sidelineview

The Super 20s comp was not a success. It was a drawn out process that left selection of Australian team very late , and about 1/3 of the OZ team did not even play in the Super Rugby 20s due to senior Super Rugby commitments or 7s duties. It was an unnecessary burden on expenditure and time for the players, and the last few results showed it wasn't the way. As always in selections, the selectors pretty much have their mind up before a ball is kicked. I believe they are on the right track to have games before Christmas, pick a team and let the players not selected return to their clubs and focus on combinations and trials several months (not weeks) before the JWC

That sounds positive so you'd think there'd be an official announcement soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.