• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2017 Under-20 Competitions including Oceania & World U20s

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
I don't know anything of the politics of the situation.

I am assuming the cancellation of the Super 20's is an ARU decision.

Probably cost savings, and some desire to mimick everything New Zealand.

I am assuming that all will be revealed next week including a published squad.

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

My point, poorly made, was that the story I heard was that whatever the Tahs and Reds wanted would be what happened in this space.
Do you understand the published squad to be the squad for the games in late 2018 or form some other purpose?

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
My point, poorly made, was that the story I heard was that whatever the Tahs and Reds wanted would be what happened in this space.
Do you understand the published squad to be the squad for the games in late 2018 or form some other purpose?
IS, I don't know. I assume any activity will be based around the Aus U20 Program. But little is known about that.

There would be an Oceania comp and a world cup, (originally to be in Argentina but Wiki now saying Scotland)

All to be detailed to the boys on Monday

Blazing Saddles

Sydney Middleton (9)
IS, I don't know. I assume any activity will be based around the Aus U20 Program. But little is known about that.

There would be an Oceania comp and a world cup, (originally to be in Argentina but Wiki now saying Scotland)

All to be detailed to the boys on Monday

Any insights from yesterday HB?

Troy Dickson

Herbert Moran (7)

I believe they cancelled the Super 20's to move to an NRC u19 competition in 2018. This will allow selectors the very best opportunity to watch and review the best u19 players for the 2019 u20 World Cup.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
So what happens for 2018 Junior World Cup? Just another load of Bullshit from the ARU after launching the "Curtain Raiser Cup" 2 years ago based on Super Rugby affiliations. No wonder rugby in this country is well and truely fucked. RIP and all the best

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I believe they cancelled the Super 20's to move to an NRC u19 competition in 2018. This will allow selectors the very best opportunity to watch and review the best u19 players for the 2019 u20 World Cup.

and not to watch and review the best U20 players for the 2018 Jnr WC. It is a sign of the state of the game and its administration in this country that a "decision" was reached that the U20s for 2018 would not play an U20 comp or even play some trials between now an next June. Even in the 1980s the players to be selected in the U21s were trialled.

T

TOCC

I had my issues with the U20s current setup and format, I won’t repeat them, the new NRC U19 concept is far superior IMO. But having nothing prior to the 2018 JWC is a massive mistake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
That's my understanding, next year there will be an U19 comp run within the NYC.

This year is in Limbo.

I believe all the States will form U20 training squads but no games are proposed.

Blazing Saddles

Sydney Middleton (9)
That's my understanding, next year there will be an U19 comp run within the NYC.

This year is in Limbo.

I believe all the States will form U20 training squads but no games are proposed.

HB, Caught up with a mate at the weekend, he mentioned a smaller select EPS 20s squad at the tahs with more emphasis on the 19s coming through. A few of the 20s have been invited to the ACT early December for a camp with Thompson and co and presume players from other states.. Otherwise back to secret squirrels...

T

TOCC

They’ve sold it as a transition year to the U19s program... clearly it’s a costly cutting measure and a cheap way to save some money without significant backlash.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
HB, Caught up with a mate at the weekend, he mentioned a smaller select EPS 20s squad at the tahs with more emphasis on the 19s coming through. A few of the 20s have been invited to the ACT early December for a camp with Thompson and co and presume players from other states.. Otherwise back to secret squirrels.
@BS, they have been training for 2 or 3 weeks now. Pretty intensive from all reports. The 20's squad is only small. Apparently they are going to Canberra for 4 days on 6th Dec. I understand that some of the 19's are going as well (maybe they are all going, not sure).

I believe the other states are all going with squads. I am told Michael Cheicka is going.

Could be another camp later, but at some point they will select Aus U20 side.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Does anyone know where 2018 U20 World Cup is being held?

Wiki is saying Scotland but press releases from early last year say Argentina.

T

TOCC

Looks as though they’ve been renamed the Junior Wallabies. Jason Gilmore appointed the new coach.

The Junior Wallabies 2017 Extended Squad
FORWARDS
Angus Blyth, QLD
Darcy Breen, NSW
Nick Brown, NSW
Will Dearden, QLD
Sean Farrell, QLD
George Francis, NSW
Lloyd Gorman, QLD
Ben Grant, NSW
Esei Ha'angana, VIC
Charlie Hancock, ACT
Harry Hockings, QLD
Harry Hoopert, QLD
Trevor Hosea, VIC
Josh Kemeny, NSW
Tom Kibble, QLD
Efi Ma'afu, QLD
Sama Malolo, NSW
Hugh Margin, NSW
Fraser McReight, QLD
Tipane Mavoa QLD
Josh Nasser, QLD
Dylan Pietsch, AUST 7S
Tom Ross, ACT
Justin Sikimeti, ACT
Rory Sutor, NSW
Lawrence Tominiko, QLD
Rob Valetini, ACT
Pat Tafa, NSW

BACKS
Ben Donaldson, NSW
Will Eadie, QLD
Tom Fuller, NSW
Harrison Goddard, VIC
Mack Hansen, ACT
Cooper Harris, NSW
Will Harrison, NSW
Tony Hunt, QLD
Len Ikitau, ACT
Yirribi Jaffer-Williams, NSW
Bayley Kuenzle, NSW
Isiah Latu, ACT
Ryan Lonergan, ACT
Isaac Lucas, QLD
Tate McDermott, QLD
Matt McTaggart, NSW
Jackson Mohi, NSW
Jordan Morris, NSW
Luke Osborne, NSW
Jordan Petaia, QLD
James Ramm, NSW
Hamish Stewart, QLD
Will Terry, NSW
Semisi Tupou, VIC
Nick Wilkinson, NSW

http://www.redsrugby.com.au/News/Ne...confirmed-as-Junior-Wallabies-head-coach.aspx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

T

TOCC

Does anyone know where 2018 U20 World Cup is being held?

Wiki is saying Scotland but press releases from early last year say Argentina.

This week's camp will be the first of four ahead of the 2018 Oceania Championships, in April, where Australia takes on New Zealand, Samoa and Fiji.

Overnight, France was announced as the World U20s host for the 2018 World Championship, kicking off on May 30, with Australia drawn in a tricky pool, alongside New Zealand, Japan and Wales.

http://www.rugby.com.au/news/2017/12/04/australia-u20s-gilmore-coach-2018

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
yeah Stewart is a loss but, forgiving my myopic QLD bias (as I just don't all the players) it looks a handy starting point.

8 Valetini
7 McReight
6 Hosea
5 Hockings
4 Blythe
3 Hoopert
2 Malalolo
1 ??

Possible backline of/???

15 ??
14 Eadie
13 Ikitau
12 Lucas
11 Tupou
10 Hansen
9 Goddard

Some good 9 depth there with Goddard, McDermott and Lonergan.

Good hooker depth too with Sean Farrell one to watch too.

Status
Not open for further replies.