• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2017 Under-20 Competitions including Oceania & World U20s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Good player but been out for some time. I think he has played 2 games since injury before Aus Schools in 2015. Hope he comes good though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Breakdown

Charlie Fox (21)
Hamish is a very good player he just needs to learn to be a General not a foot soldier, his kicking is good and he has good hands too. I watched young Jack McGregor come on for the Rebels against the Force, he is a little General, he had full command of the backline and plays were going left and right. Competition is strong at 10 with Liam Moseley at he Brumbies & Jack at the Rebels, my money is Jack will be the Aus u20 5/8.

A natural 12 long term, undisputed. Staying at 10 will only hamper his development.

thebreakdown

Ted Fahey (11)
Good feedback HTC, Still understand combination problems due to trials. I was at the trial and noticed some good things but more bad! Not a lot of skill shifting the ball wide under pressure, noticed players struggling to move it along in tight defence. Players outside not really hitting the pass at speed. I know it's only early but they been training for few weeks with the ball. IMO they not sharp with decision making under tight pressure. Lost a few good opportunities out wide. Maybe I'm bit hard this early in season?.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Good feedback HTC, Still understand combination problems due to trials. I was at the trial and noticed some good things but more bad! Not a lot of skill shifting the ball wide under pressure, noticed players struggling to move it along in tight defence. Players outside not really hitting the pass at speed. I know it's only early but they been training for few weeks with the ball. IMO they not sharp with decision making under tight pressure. Lost a few good opportunities out wide. Maybe I'm bit hard this early in season?.

IMO the A squad should be a lot slicker. If you watched the first game (u20 possibles) there was far better ball management out the back which resulted in gaps in with he Norths defense which Isaac Lucas used to good effect on occasion because he was not covered and he has good foot work. He linked well with the 12 & 13 and had the defense guessing. The probables (A squad) were very predictable in their line management which ended up in scrappy play. I guess each one want to show his individual skill in a trial game, hope they play more as a team in their game on Saturday or the Rebels will be all over them.

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
How close is Isaac Lucas to being the first choice 10? Will he be part of the 23?

I've seen lot a Horan and just find that yes he distributes well but he doesn't have that running game that commits defenders meaning teams often don't have to worry about him running the ball, allowing the defence to look at what is outside him. His maturity however is second to none and if they really are after a general at 10, then maybe he is a viable option.

As Happytochat mentioned, there is a hell of a lot of ball running talent there with Riley, Eadie and Jayden out back, it's probably about opening up spaces for them to run in.

They had another run against Norths on Saturday and pumped them. Scott Young is absolutely a class above.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
I guess it depends on the type of game you are playing for the 12 GWme. I would like to see a ball playing 10 with good kicking skills i.e. Horan or Lucas and then have a crash ball 12 (Hunt/Stewart). However I think the coaches will go for the running 10 and hopefully ball playing 12 (Horan) not sure on who they'll pick at 13 as Riley played in the possibles on Saturday with Ratu in the probables? Ngamanu is on form and should take the fullback slot.

thebreakdown

Ted Fahey (11)
Mate I was amazed with no. 10 in the first game!, to see two defenders in front and not lay a hand on him is pretty special!, I'm sure he'll get a crack at the title along the championship. I was also impressed with the prop no. 1 with his mobility around the field and strong ball carries. I know Scott young is first choice no.8 but the first game player no. 8 put his hand up. Great depth in all positions

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Mate I was amazed with no. 10 in the first game!, to see two defenders in front and not lay a hand on him is pretty special!, I'm sure he'll get a crack at the title along the championship. I was also impressed with the prop no. 1 with his mobility around the field and strong ball carries. I know Scott young is first choice no.8 but the first game player no. 8 put his hand up. Great depth in all positions

I was sitting with a couple of guys who are well known in rugby circles, and they mentioned of all the Lucas brothers, young Isaac has the best feet, it's just a pity he may be seen as a bit small and not as imposing as others. He certainly has the heart and mind for it. I also know the head coach (Brad) demands physicality and aggression from all the players, for me it's not always, or only that. A backline player with a good head will out think a player that is all brawn. Don't get me wrong you do need the aggression and presence but it doesn't all have to come with size.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
When they announce the reds 20s? Can't be far away?

Not too far off I'd imagine, I would think they will cut the team, probably today to 30 man training squad and then Wednesday name the match 23.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)

Lucas played very well for Schoolboys in New Zealand,

Thought he was unluckly to not to be the first choice 10, Doughi had his strengths but Lucas definitely had an X factor. Almost won the game again NZ when he came on, threw a dummy and a step and found space and kicked ahead for Eadie to draw the game late in the second half.

Think we will see plenty more of both these boys,

thebreakdown

Ted Fahey (11)
Looking forward to the first reds 20s match. Very strong bench in most positions. I think they will be solid again with quality coaching staff. Thorns presence is enough to lift any player!

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Looking forward to the first reds 20s match. Very strong bench in most positions. I think they will be solid again with quality coaching staff. Thorns presence is enough to lift any player!

Any predictions for the team? Breakdown.

thebreakdown

Ted Fahey (11)
I'm an observer of talented back play. Not so much forwards but I did notice in the first trial two players in the forwards stood out to me. No.8 & no.1, have no idea of names HTC. In the backs,same game, no9, no.10, no.13,no.11 were my choice to join the last game squad. There were probably others in the mix but these guys caught my eye. I'm concerned as an ex nz provincial player how the backs are running. IMO, they seem to run with the pass and not to the pass. The defence are not being drawn as they should be due to lack of angles coming onto the ball. Angles create space as you stand up your opposition and deliver the pass to runner hitting space. I know it's only early days but I just see quality backs but no sting! You tell me your team HTC!

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
I'm an observer of talented back play. Not so much forwards but I did notice in the first trial two players in the forwards stood out to me. No.8 & no.1, have no idea of names HTC. In the backs,same game, no9, no.10, no.13,no.11 were my choice to join the last game squad. There were probably others in the mix but these guys caught my eye. I'm concerned as an ex nz provincial player how the backs are running. IMO, they seem to run with the pass and not to the pass. The defence are not being drawn as they should be due to lack of angles coming onto the ball. Angles create space as you stand up your opposition and deliver the pass to runner hitting space. I know it's only early days but I just see quality backs but no sting! You tell me your team HTC!

Possible bench players named second with one back to be dropped and two forwards added.
1. Harry Hoopert/ #1 first game
2. Effie Maafu
3. Gavin Luka
4. Harry Hocking
5. Angus Blythe
6. #8 first game/ Calum Ball
7. Liam Wright
8. Angus Scott Young
9. Harry Nucifora/ Jordan Lenac
10. Hamish Stewart/ Isaac Lucas
11. Sam Edwards/ #11 first game
12. Alex Horan/ Tony Hunt
13. Dylan Riley
14. Will Eadie
15. Jayden Ngamanu/ Clifton Setu
Sadly it may be Isaac Lucas to go as Alex Horan can cover for #10. Ball can cover Lock & loose. They will need a second hooker and maybe another loose.
My apologies for the numbers as I don't know their names but it is in reference to the trial played on Saturday.

thebreakdown

Ted Fahey (11)
Was he (Ratu) in 1st or 2nd . I thought Eadie was solid. The other wing Edwards never really got any play his way but he was in the 20s last year and narrowly missed australian selection. I did notice another winger in the 1st trial but not sure who he was. No.11. Im hoping it's him. I know no. 24 came on in the 2nd trial but played fullback. I think it was ngamanu though?

Status
Not open for further replies.