• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2017 Under-20 Competitions including Oceania & World U20s

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Does an NRC U19s need to be considered?
It's a golden triangle in the five-year blueprint released by the ARU three months ago.

Click pic to embiggen:

menrugbgyplan-jpg.7668

When, you may ask? Dunno, other than by 2020 (funding permitting).

TBF, the Super U20s triangle shown then as goldened is now boldened.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Very conjoined triangles of success. Glad to see it's planned, must have missed that one when it came out. Does give a further advantage to top age players I guess, but every little helps.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
10 months of prep is a big advantage over 4. Does an NRC U19s need to be considered?

I wouldn't be adverse to the Australian u20s actually being apart of the nrc.

It may assist in narrowing our selection issues but there's also a desire to get as many of the potential players playing against adults as possible.

The players who really star at the under 20 world cup tend to have spent a fair bit of time playing open rugby.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
It's a golden triangle in the five-year blueprint released by the ARU three months ago.

Click pic to embiggen:

When, you may ask? Dunno, other than by 2020 (funding permitting).

TBF, the Super U20s triangle shown then as goldened is now boldened.

embiggen? :)

I didn't know of this and it's interesting to see that NRC U19s are a part of the plan in what I will call "Year 1". A few of us have mentioned the virtue of this since the NRC started, as a precursor to the U20s in "Year 2".

The training they will get for this NRC U19 comp in Year 1 will generally be of a higher level than what they have experienced until that time, and will be of equal importance to the actual playing.

Although the best U20 candidates for Year 2 will be well-known and may be playing in the Year 1 NRC senior team already, a Year 1 U19 competition will be a boon for the States, especially NSW and Qld, who have many candidates to examine.

The States spend an inordinate amount of time sifting out the candidates before they announce their squads for the Year 2 Super Rugby U20s - so this Year 1 NRC U19 comp could save them a month.

This time is better spent addressing their poor skill levels which should have been worked on earlier in their rugby lives.

And besides haven't we seen Under 19 players in Year 1 NRC squads get little time on the park, if any? They will play every week in an NRC U19 comp, and if they play a suitable position, the U19 matches will get them ready to go if they get promoted to the senior side because of injuries.

There is nothing like playing games.

The only negative is the extra expense and thus the need of a richer sponsor.

We need one that has an embiggened bank balance.:)

sarcophilus

Charlie Fox (21)
NSW selection opportunity discussion, moved from colts 2017 thread
Players of rep standard are often capable of displacing club standard players from age older groups (as opposed to gaining experience due to injury to higher ranked players). There are already sixteen players from this years u20 with that experience at rep level.
The bulk of the named players (thanks Baz) were in norths colts second grade semi final team lists published here. Was it one or two of them made the colts semi 1sts team?
Given the trial yesterday may have been a little tokenistic, many of the players would not have played for nearly 6 weeks, throwing some tokens to norths may have been nice

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Would make sense given the size of squads in the NRC comp to have curtain raisers with some u19 players thrown in as it's been a short season for them and thus not conductive to ongoing development of these young players.
Overseas, I'm sure these young players enjoy a much longer season than those in Australia and methinks that's the issue!

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
NRC U19s would be excellent as talent identification. My suggestion is that we run it in conferences, so the teams are getting 3-5 games (depending on if they make finals) to show their wares.

On the surface this seems like a small amount of games, but lets remember it gives them a long preseason at a vital age where they can achieve a lot of physical gains. If they're a rock star by 22 they'll be trapped in that constant 'wallabies, super rugby, wallabies, etc.' cycle and will not get ANY pre-seasons.

Onto my main point here is - the obvious benefit of an U19 NRC is talent ID for the Super 20s, funnelling into the Aus 20s, then onto the senior pathway. This is PARTICULARLY important because teams like the Force, Brumbies, and Rebels 20s would definitely benefit from 3-5 of the guys that were either squaddies or just outside of the NSW and Qld teams.

An example of a guy that saw the writing on the wall and made the jump is Angus Fowler (who just missed out on Aus 20s after being in the expanded squad), whereas a bloke that SHOULD'VE made the jump is Jake Strachan. If Strachan had been starting somewhere, he may've got a real look in for the Aus team. Look at his NRC and Hospital Cup form, it's obvious he'd be of that standard.

Moral of the story is, we can see our talent identification system as a funnel (rather than a chain). Imagine if an age group goes through this 'funnel'...

8 Squads of 30 in the NRC U19 in 2018 = 240
5 Squads of 30 for the Super 20s in 2019 = 150
Australian U20s Expanded Squad (as it was run this year) = 50
Australian U20 Squad = 32

Those 32 are in line for professional contracts, the rest of those original 230 (and the blokes in that 32 deemed 'not ready yet') go back to club footy, some of them prove they're NRC quality, and then use that NRC to prove they're up to professional contacts.

It's a good system. The one we've all been asking for. #nomanleftbehind

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Blokes that will factor into the national thinking from the Rebels:
  • Rob Leota (repeating)
  • Jordan Uelese (repeating starter)
  • Sione Tuipolutu (repeating starter - not 100% sure but I believe he's young enough even even though he's played 2 years already)
  • Hunter Pasami (Aus 18s last year)
  • Sunia Finefeuaki (Aus 18s last year)
I personally don't expect any surprises, but we will see.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Plus obviously McGregor and Maddocks are well known.

Hutchison wasn't allowed to play U20s because of the Olympics last year, will Coward (and others?) be held to the same in a non-olympic year?

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
My early 15 picks for 2017 QLD u20's squad. I know squads have not been announced yet. Hope all of these youngsters are available.
1. Harry Hooper
2. Effie Maafu
3. Gavin Luka
4. Harry Hocking
5. Angus Blythe
6. Liam Wright
7. Angus Scott-Young
8. Reece Hewat
9. Harry Nucifora
10. Alex Horan
11. Sam Edwards
12. Tony Hunt
13. Dylan Riley
14. Liam McNamara
15. Jayden Ngamanu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
My early 15 picks for 2017 QLD u20's squad. I know squads have not been announced yet. Hope all of these youngsters are available.
1. Harry Hooper
2. Effie Maafu
3. Gavin Luka
4. Harry Hocking
5. Angus Blythe
6. Liam Wright
7. Angus Scott-Young
8. Reece Hewat
9. Harry Nucifora
10. Alex Horan
11. Sam Edwards
12. Tony Hunt
13. Dylan Riley
14. Liam McNamara
15. Jayden Ngamanu

I only know 2 or 3 of those names - how good is this team compared to last year?

I think the Tahs will be the side to beat this year, they invested in the future last year.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
I only know 2 or 3 of those names - how good is this team compared to last year?

I think the Tahs will be the side to beat this year, they invested in the future last year.
4 are new to the u20 squad + Reece Hewat who was off with injury last year, the other 10 are all 2016 u20's. 5 represented Aus u20's at the 2016 JWC.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Simon Cron seems like a good signing as Australia's Under 20s coach.

What happened to the old Aus 20s coach?

I'm disappointed Cron is doing the double and coaching Norths and the 20s, I would like to see the 20s coach be a full time position. I know there'd be light times of year but there'd also be 80 hour weeks.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
What happened to the old Aus 20s coach?

I'm disappointed Cron is doing the double and coaching Norths and the 20s, I would like to see the 20s coach be a full time position. I know there'd be light times of year but there'd also be 80 hour weeks.

The previous coach Adrian Thomson has moved to another role within the ARU; National Performance Programs Manager.

What makes you think Cron will still be the Norths coach?

Status
Not open for further replies.