• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2017 Under-20 Competitions including Oceania & World U20s

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebreakdown

Ted Fahey (11)
Goddard, mcgregor could annoy the reds but you're right (the sage), there seems to be bit more experience in key positions. HTC comment on Eadie & ngamanu are great players as is Edwards but they are only driven by their insides, hunt & Riley who need to create it. Domination up front should be exciting out wide.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Breakdown

Charlie Fox (21)
Bond University with 7 of the run on side.
Great rugby program and fascilities. Well Done
Whilst Bond should be very proud of the talent they've acquired, it's a stretch to say it's due to their rugby program. A 50k John Eales Scholarship would attract most 17/18 years olds which some of these players are on, whilst others are on part contributions.

These 7 starting players were already cream of their age group long before they stepped onto campus.

Again, not taking anything away from Bond, just putting it in perspective.

T

TOCC

Only 2 players are on the John Eales Scholarship

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
That's very hard to believe. .

Azzuri can you confirm?
It is hard to believe, I thought he'd have been training with the u20's squad too, then heard he had some stress fractures and up and left back to Sydney. Tall full back, haven't seen him play though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
My understanding was each recipient gets free education at Bond (no Hecs debt) and $12k per year, (presumably to go towards on campus living expenses)

It's by far the most generous Rugby scholarship in the country.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Both Uni's have recruited well with 14 players between them in the Qld u20's plus 3 Bond players in the Rebels u20 (Hayden Sargent) and Force u20 (Ben Grant & Lachie Currie). Good breeding ground for their player development program. The stronger you recruit, the better your program I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

$$$'s aside, the point is that it's not Bond's rugby program that secured so many starters.

There are few who would argue that Bonds Colts program hasn't come on leaps and bounds, facilities are up there with the best and reportedly about to receive even more investment, full time coaching staff and the pathway is now closely aligned with the QLD Country NRC program.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Rebels U 20's for Saturday

Melbourne Rebels U20s Team for Rd 1 v Reds U20s:
  1. Mahe Vailanu
  2. Callum Kent
  3. Vaauli Faamausili
  4. Emmanuel Latu-Meafou
  5. Esei Haangana (Captain)
  6. Richard Clift
  7. Jack Farrell
  8. Tuaina Tualima
  9. Harrison Goddard (Vice Captain)
  10. Jack McGregor
  11. Semisi Tupou
  12. Angelo Leaupepe
  13. Hunter Paisami
  14. Hayden Sargeant
  15. Oisin Clarken
Reserves
  1. Shaedyn Folau
  2. Declan Cox
  3. Afi Taivai
  4. Sunia Finefeuiaki
  5. Ben Collins
  6. Tim Sippel
  7. Tom Da Forno
  8. Nic Donghi

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Good to see Harrison Goddard and Jack McGregor, who were schoolboy stars, emerge.

Goddard was hampered by injuries in training for the NSW U20s last year in his U/19 year and didn't perform at his best in the trials. I don't think he made the team.

McGregor was on track to be the NSW U20 flyhalf but he was the third NSW flyhalf to go down before the comp started.

These two should be good for the Rebels U20s - Goddard has the skills and speed to play any position in the backline, and McGregor has everything a flyhalf needs for an expansive or tactical game.

At least that's when they were schoolboys, but let's see if a couple of years of injuries and recovery has affected them.

Surprised that Sunia Finefeuiaki isn't in the starting side but he's still only 18. Though that didn't stopping them picking the 120kgs captain and lock Esei Ha'angana - he turns 18 in April.

Status
Not open for further replies.