• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2017 Under-20 Competitions including Oceania & World U20s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Liked the look of the Reds 10 and 15, and though he got few chances the 14 looks pretty quick.
Both Reds locks look Super rugby height.
Final score doesn't reflect the grit of the the brumbies pigs.
I liked the look of Hamish Stewart when he moved from 10 to 12.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S

sidelineview

What odds the Reds to win next week?

The Brumbies showed how the Reds can be beaten but one little slip up ...... and the Reds punish the opposition.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)

The Brumbies showed how the Reds can be beaten but one little slip up .. and the Reds punish the opposition.
SLV I was at the game yesterday, it was the worst start the Reds have had in all of their games, I don't want to put it down to the early game day plane trip. I think they miss judged their opposition and may have started with an "easy game" mindset. All credit to the Brumbies they played well and did their homework. Darcy Swain showed why he got the invite to the training squad and put his hand up for selection. The Brumbies were in it for the first half but fell apart when fitness was carried off on a stretcher in the second half. Reds defense kept the Brumbies out and stoped the backline from any threat. Too many mistakes were made and penalties given away at the breakdown and too many line outs were lost (very unusual for the Reds). It is exiting to see their backline is playing a more expansive game with some good line breaks.
Brad Thorn will be onto the boys this week and I'm sure he will demand they lift their game for the finals.

S

sidelineview

Point taken HTC but at one stage in the second half the Brumbies could have hit the front but their execution let them down. So they were in it for more than just one half.

The Brumbies could have fallen away because of their lack of fitness or because of the strong Reds defence or lack of composure or a bit of bad luck or all of the above but they were close to making a real contest out of it.

There can be a fine line between hitting the front in a game and finding yourself 2 tries down. The Reds were very good in changing the momentum of the game when they had their backs to the wall. A big clearing kick by Stewart and a huge hit in defence by Scott-Young saved the day twice for the Reds.

You can only play as well as the opposition allows you to play and the Brumbies played a smart game plan and put it to the Reds to turn the match into a grinding arm wrestle.

But as with any quality team you can't give them a sniff of an opportunity or they'll punish you and that's what the Reds did.

The Reds can afford to make more mistakes than Gen Blue next week and still win but I think Gen Blue would be encouraged by the Brumbies performance.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Only saw the first half, and thought it was a good contest. Young Brumbies were unlucky not to score twice in the LH corner - first by the hooker and later by the No 11 I think. On both occasions bundled into touch about a metre or two from the tryline. Might have had a different outcome had they had the sense to come in field before the defense hit, recycle and pass wide in the face of a back-pedaling defensive line.

Swain has looked the goods every time I've seen him play, including in Brumbies' trials matches.

Hewatt looked the goods at No 8 for the Reds.

Incidentally, what was the final score?

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Only saw the first half, and thought it was a good contest. Young Brumbies were unlucky not to score twice in the LH corner - first by the hooker and later by the No 11 I think. On both occasions bundled into touch about a metre or two from the tryline. Might have had a different outcome had they had the sense to come in field before the defense hit, recycle and pass wide in the face of a back-pedaling defensive line.

Swain has looked the goods every time I've seen him play, including in Brumbies' trials matches.

Hewatt looked the goods at No 8 for the Reds.

Incidentally, what was the final score?
Qld 31-Brumbies 11

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
The Brumbies could have fallen away because of their lack of fitness or because of the strong Reds defence or lack of composure or a bit of bad luck or all of the above but they were close to making a real contest out of it.

I think what did the Brumbies in in the end was the size of the Reds. They were bigger in nearly every position and certainly in every position where size is an issue.
I think those Reds are a very mature side and we will see a lot of them at higher levels

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)

The Brumbies showed how the Reds can be beaten but one little slip up .. and the Reds punish the opposition.

Yeah HTC agree on the travel part, would be a full day for the boys.

SLV to answer your question the Reds will start favourites (odd-on probably). You may recall that the Gen Blues were also in a similar position at the 70th min against the Brumbies and with a much slimmer winning margin than the reds.

The young Brumbies did well at the break down and the Reds line-out had a bad cough on the weekend. The scrum however was probably at its best.

Nothing on the weekend performance to suggested that "the brumbies showed how the Reds can be beaten"; thought the Reds were in control for a majority of the game.....and with a score margin of 20 points, the Brumbies with one reasonably fortuitous try from a reds error, I think it showed how you could frustrate the reds maybe.....?

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
Wow another good week of tipping. Had four new entrants (if SidelineView isn't SidelineShow) entering at the money end of the season. The week went well if you picked the Gen Blues with their well fought win over the tiring Rebels. However only 4 of you picked that, with the other 5 missing out on the perfect score.

The Reds form came through but it wasn't a total cricket score over a well drilled and keen Young Brumbies, with a margin of 20.

Golden Oracle for the week was Linespeed with his call on the Rebels.

This week, as stated above, you were either in or out with the call on the Rebels v Gen Blue game. This led to 4 perfect scores, well done to HTC, SidelineView, SidelineShow and Silverado.

However the real eye-opener were the point difference scores...double wow. If you thought HTC's last week effort of -14 was good wait for this: 2 SidelineView and SidelineShow (sure your not the same person??) scored a great -4 points difference each, whilst Silverado scored a measly -1 (cue back in the case, thank you very much). Not coming to your house for dinner Silverado, don't like potato peels!! Well done that man.

This weeks results:

Silverado 2/2 -1
SidelineView 2/2 -4
SidelineShow 2/2 -4
HTC 2/2 -11
Sage 1/2 -18
Linespeed 1/2 -19
Farmer 1/2 -21
Lightingrod 1/2 -37 & last but not least
RugbyMum2 1/2 -43

Overall

Silverado 2/2 -1
SidelineView 2/2 -4
SidelineShow 2/2 -4
Linespeed 5/6 -51
Sage 8/10 -98
HTC 8/10 -153
Farmer 2/3 -32
Thebreakdown 1/2 -25.
Lightingrod 1/2 -37 & last but not least
RugbyMum2 2/4 -104

Well done guys. Don't forget all are welcome to give their view and score differences. Enter at any stage.

This week is the final. Who will win? Will the Reds keep up their winning ways or will Gen Blue rattle there cage? As it is the final all scores will be doubled (may allow us mere morals get ahead of the perfecto's of Silverado and the two Sideline's).

Have a good week folks and hear from you all during the week.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
a couple of injuries to the Reds won't help, in Luka and Hunt.

Yeah Reg; got any news there?

Was it Gavin Luka's wrist or a his re-occurring shoulder complaint.

Looked like Tony's foot problem is at it again. Been a problem for him since the schoolboy trails of 2015.

Can you or HTC confirm?

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Yeah Reg; got any news there?

Was it Gavin Luka's wrist or a his re-occurring shoulder complaint.

Looked like Tony's foot problem is at it again. Been a problem for him since the schoolboy trails of 2015.

Can you or HTC confirm?
Whispers are Gav Luka may have fractured his forearm not sure about Tony?

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
My take if a team was to be picked from those players that have played in the Super 20s comp.
1 Cody Walker
2 Jordan Uelese
3 Harry J Holmes / Sham Vui
4 Darcy Swain
5 Harry Hockings
6 Angus Scott-Young
7 Liam Wright
8 Reece Hewat
9 Harrison Goddard / Harry Nucifora
10 Hamish Stewart
11 Angelo Leaupepe
12 Sione Tuipulotu