• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2017 Under-20 Competitions including Oceania & World U20s

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sidelineview

Yeah HTC agree on the travel part, would be a full day for the boys.

SLV to answer your question the Reds will start favourites (odd-on probably). You may recall that the Gen Blues were also in a similar position at the 70th min against the Brumbies and with a much slimmer winning margin than the reds.

The young Brumbies did well at the break down and the Reds line-out had a bad cough on the weekend. The scrum however was probably at its best.

Nothing on the weekend performance to suggested that "the brumbies showed how the Reds can be beaten"; thought the Reds were in control for a majority of the game...and with a score margin of 20 points, the Brumbies with one reasonably fortuitous try from a reds error, I think it showed how you could frustrate the reds maybe...?

The Reds will be deserved odds on favourites and the likely winners. It's a bit hard to tip against them but i will anyway.

I just thought the Brumbies were in a position to score a couple of times and for whatever reason didn't convert it into points. Full credit to the Reds for their strong defence but a little bit of luck going the Brumbies way at a crucial time in the second half coulda put them in the lead and changed the game.

It gives Gen Blue hope; they'll need to bring their A+ game, but by the time game time comes around they'll be believing they can win.

Gen Blue by 3.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
My take if a team was to be picked from those players that have played in the Super 20s comp.
1 Cody Walker
2 Jordan Uelese
3 Harry J Holmes / Sham Vui
4 Darcy Swain
5 Harry Hockings
6 Angus Scott-Young
7 Liam Wright
8 Reece Hewat
9 Harrison Goddard / Harry Nucifora
10 Hamish Stewart
11 Angelo Leaupepe
12 Sione Tuipulotu
13 Dylan Riley
14 ?????
15 Jayden Ngamanu

Iziah Perese could be that 14, or even the 13.

I think you'll also find Rob Leota in there somewhere.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Iziah Perese could be that 14, or even the 13.

I think you'll also find Rob Leota in there somewhere.
Agreed but I've only listed those that have played in the 20s comp thus far and excluded the sevens and Super Rugby players. I know they are eligible but it still remains to be seen who will and who won't be released. I just goes to show how much we are lacking in the outside backs and the reliance will be on the Sevens and Super Rugby players to fill in. Although Eadie is quick I don't think he is ready for it this year otherwise there is not much to choose from. As for Perese in the Super Rugby Reds starting XV, will they release him?? Leota I mentioned in an earlier post would be a good bench option but I doubt he will be a starter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I was looking out for Plumber, played 10 for NZ schools. The best School 10 I have ever seen,

But he is not there, look out for him, might show up next year
Beale was the best schools' 10 I will ever see, and the best schoolboy in any position, but young Plummer was the best NZ Schools first-five that I can remember.

See the blog on the NZ v Aus Schools game last year here about Plummer:

IMO better than Lima Sopoga and Damian MacKenzie, who even then looked like fullback was his best spot.

It just goes to show how much depth they have over there - Plummer looked ready to play U20s then.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Can anyone direct me to somewhere that has info on the Final? Is it ticketed or free? All I've been able to find out is that it's at 2pm on Sunday at Ballymore.

T

TOCC

Whats the opinion of releasing Super Rugby players for the Junior World Championship? A few years ago i was supportive of the concept, but I've started to question the true value of doing so. Yes the Australian U20's program has improved, but other nations who were already ahead in the U20's program have accelerated the development of their own programs even fasters. Whilst Australia is improving, they are still falling further behind.

For the players, if they are receiving regular time at a Super Rugby level, is there really any benefit to them to get pulled from a full-time environment to play in an age group championship, which at least for Australia, is a level below professionalism.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Can anyone direct me to somewhere that has info on the Final? Is it ticketed or free? All I've been able to find out is that it's at 2pm on Sunday at Ballymore.
It will be Sunday at 2:00pm and free entry. Reds will be publishing details soon.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

bloodred

Fred Wood (13)
I haven't seen much of the 20's, but it is good to hear that there is some talent coming through good enough to be in a position to bench (at least) for the Reds

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Shambeckler Vui has been named in the reserves to play for the Force against the Blues at Eden Park in Super Rugby on Saturday.

The Force U20s coach told me a few weeks ago that he was a sure future Super Rugby player - and it looks like he's right.

Not bad for a 19 year-old THP.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Yep, Qld should get up, but Stewart a big loss. NSW would be better off with Walker in front row. Hurts to admit, but Reds by 10

Status
Not open for further replies.