• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2017 Under-20 Competitions including Oceania & World U20s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I would imagine that Jooste won't see much Under 20's game time this year as he'll be needed by the Brumbies........

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
I would imagine that Jooste won't see much Under 20's game time this year as he'll be needed by the Brumbies....

Do you think that means he's out for the JWC or just the run in games/trials?
Huge loss I really think he has a very solid all-round game

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
He will likely be the Brumbies starting flyhalf this year, and if not he'll be their only backup..........

So I'd say there's zero chance he'll be at the JWC.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
IIRC McMahon was started the first 12 games for the Rebels in 2014 before being pulled from the last one before the June Break for the JWC.

Think only Wallabies selection will prevent him from going.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
IIRC McMahon was started 12 of the 13 games for the Rebels in 2014 before being pulled for the JWC.

Think only Wallabies selection will prevent him from going.

The difference is that the Rebels had other backrowers they could field........

Jooste was the Brumbies only contracted flyhalf until a couple of weeks ago........

Unless the Brumbies manage to sign another flyhalf (I doubt that's going to happen), he'll be staying put.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
The difference is that the Rebels had other backrowers they could field....

Jooste was the Brumbies only contracted flyhalf until a couple of weeks ago.
Potentially.

You'll have played 11 games when the decision "really" has to be made, at which time the ARU will know whether you're not making the finals or are still in contention. If it's the former, he'll go 100%.

The latter will depend on a lot of things, but unless the potential 10-12-15 combo are kicking major arse, the Coaches will be wanting him there, and the less capable that axis looks, the more likely the ARU would be to grant that release, at least for mine.

Hell, we sent our 2nd best tighthead to the JWC rather than take him to Japan, and a full International is much more important than any "domestic" fixture.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yeah, I guess we'll see but if he's the Brumbies starting 10, despite how the team is traveling, I doubt they'll release him.........

It's unfortunate as I would prefer him to be at the JWC.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
So the JWC is from the 31st of May until the 18th of June. Super Rugby has only one round that overlaps with this (although the round before comes close) where the Brumbies are playing the Rebels. If Jooste has earned a spot in the U20 side, it would be crazy not to release him for a game or two to let him play in the U20 side.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
So the JWC is from the 31st of May until the 18th of June. Super Rugby has only one round that overlaps with this (although the round before comes close) where the Brumbies are playing the Rebels. If Jooste has earned a spot in the U20 side, it would be crazy not to release him for a game or two to let him play in the U20 side.

Crazy behaviour by the Bunglies? Shirley not.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Ah k, I didn't realise that..........

Then in that case, as long as the Brumbies Kiwi 10 doesn't pick up an injury he might still get a chance to go.............

But it will depend on Jooste's role in the team and how the Brumbies are traveling, as there is precedence for teams not releasing players........

So if he does become their starting 10 this year, he won't go.

Blazing Saddles

Sydney Middleton (9)
The difference is that the Rebels had other backrowers they could field....

Jooste was the Brumbies only contracted flyhalf until a couple of weeks ago....

Unless the Brumbies manage to sign another flyhalf (I doubt that's going to happen), he'll be staying put.

There is also a young lad by the name of McGregor at the Rebels who will probably put his hand up for the 10 jumper....if all goes to plan post rehab

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I just reckon that the Brumbies will be long odds for playoffs this season come their International tour (with the Tahs and Reds fighting for the one Aussie spot), so Jooste would fly from Port Elizabeth to join the team in Tblisi rather than go on to Buenos Aires.

Alternatively, he goes to BA and comes to Tblisi late, playing a short cameo off the bench in the first game or not playing at all.

Can't see more than a small handful of scenarios (Brumbies pushing for top two and the other options are injured being) where he'd play in the Rebels game.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
the Reds?
Really?
Who knows with the Tahs..
Stiles being full time head will help.

Gill and Holmes are big losses, but Moore, Cooper, Higgers and Smith in more than cover for it.

There's a lot of quality lost from the Ponies. Moore, To'omua, Ruan Smith, Tomane, Pocock, Vaea, plus Lilo can't play. Godwin is a nice in, but the Faingaas return seems a step backwards. Not impossible for them to do well given the quality & depth in the engine room positions (1,3,4,5,6), but will struggle to release the outside backs.

Tahs have lost a good number as well, especially Kurtley and Dennis but with Kepu back home, the development of Simone, and hopefully having the three Hs fit (Holloway, Horne and Hegarty), they shouldn't drop off to the same extent as the Brumbies.

We've lost too much experience in one season for a "reasonably" young squad to be truly competitive.

Like what the Force have done, Holmes, TPN, Matwijow, Meakes, Coleman all best 23 players. Peni, Rona and Naisarai all could be there too, and have some good potential. Still think losing both Godwin and Tapuai will hurt more than necessary, and the "overall" quality isn't quite to the same extent as the Tahs and Reds.

So yeah, Early prediction is New Zealand teams remain dominant, Tahs and Reds to scrap for the Aussie place.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
^^^^^^^^^

Given the quality at the Reds and the potential youngsters stepping up at the Waratahs, one finals team from Oz is not a given. I reckon its even money that we'll get two teams in the finals (which means its also even money we won't). I think the Brumbies, Rebels and Force will just make up the numbers. The Brumbies and Rebels don't have a quality 10, but if you want a smokey for this year I reckon it might be the Force. A rested and recovered TPN will make a huge difference.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
There is also a young lad by the name of McGregor at the Rebels who will probably put his hand up for the 10 jumper..if all goes to plan post rehab
Good #10 I prefer his style of play to Jooste, hope he gets a look in for Aus 20's. Similar style to Mason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Good #10 I prefer his style of play to Jooste, hope he gets a look in for Aus 20's. Similar style to Mason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's where I think Jooste offers a lot more than any of the No 10s who have come through the U20s in recent times. They have tended to be backline organisers only (and some not much chop at that), while Jooste also plays his own game, taking the line on when opportunity seems to be in the offing.

Jooste's weakness atm seems to be his tackling capability. If he can work on that aspect, he'll be a much more rounded No 10 than we've seen at this level for a long time (think Bernie Larkham to whom he has been compared already).

Status
Not open for further replies.