• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2017 Under-20 Competitions including Oceania & World U20s

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldColt

Sydney Middleton (9)
Watched the NSW U20s train yesterday; some other U20s including schoolies like Tyzac Jordan were training with the senior Tahs.

Will give some info when my queries are answered.

I smell a blog.

Any news yet regarding the Gen Blue squad?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
^^^^^^^
Tim Rapp said he would reply to all my enquiries midweek and I will let everybody know.

Edit - I sent them a week ago but didn't know he was Tahs General Manager of Rugby then. To his credit he didn't fob the job off to anybody else as he could have.

His job encompasses U20's and he was happy to reply, but was just busy at the moment.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
^^^^^^^
Tim Rapp said he would reply to all my enquiries midweek and I will let everybody know.

Edit - I sent them a week ago but didn't know he was Tahs General Manager of Rugby then. To his credit he didn't fob the job off to anybody else as he could have.

His job encompasses U20's and he was happy to reply, but was just busy at the moment.
Lee, can you give us your best guess of 1-15? While we await for official announcements.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Any fixture announcements yet? Hope they coordinate them to coincide as curtain raisers for the Super Rugby games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Lee, can you give us your best guess of 1-15? While we await for official announcements.

No - I've seen only one session this year after being busy moving house and settling in has taken so much of my time.

I had trouble identifying some of the players first up because some of the schools rep players from 2015 are hardly recognisable - and even some of the 2016 schoolies are tough to spot without their school jumpers as a point of reference.

There seem to more Colts players outside of schoolboy reps this year which is good - some of them look like real contenders. One of my queries is about how that earlier Colts trial game helped selections in the squad as it is at this time.

Of those guys Ezera Chee-Kam (Rats) and Hutara Coffin (Norths) looked pretty good at first glance.

I'd have to see them in a refereed hit-out or a trial game before I can form an opinion otherwise I'd just be going on their history and reading the tea leaves such as looking up who has played senior rugby, especially first grade.

Someone like Hugh Jarse who is involved with Colts and saw a lot of the chaps last season would have a better idea.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
^^^^^^^

Who has direct coaching responsibility for U20s, Lee?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Any fixture announcements yet? Hope they coordinate them to coincide as curtain raisers for the Super Rugby games.

Brumbies games are:
4 Feb – Trial v Rebels (Albury, 13:00)
11 Feb – Trial v Waratahs (Bowral, 13:00)
18 Feb – Trial v Uni-Norths (UC, 13:00)
25 Feb – Trial v Japan U20 (match and venue TBC)
5 Mar – U20 v Rebels (Canberra, 15:00)
11 Mar – U20 v Waratahs (Wollongong, 14:00)
19 Mar – U20 v Force (Canberra, 14:00)
26 Mar – U20 v Reds (Canberra, 15:00)
1 Apr – Grand Final (TBC, 13:00)

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
If that is the Brumbies fixtures there is a lot of confidence in them making the finals.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
That's another of my questions to Rapp, but the usual suspects from last year looked present, plus Pat McCutcheon who is apprentice coach, so to speak.

Man - thats a hard job to step into: there's about 160 kids/blokes on the radar from the two years prior of schools reps - let alone smokies in colts and grade

S

sidelineview

That's another of my questions to Rapp, but the usual suspects from last year looked present, plus Pat McCutcheon who is apprentice coach, so to speak.

When are the 20s squads usually finalised Lee?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Well, the U20 comp starts on March 5 so it will probably a week before that.

And I think that some will be cut before the first trial at the beginning of February.

This question and any others folks want to know about are probably all on my list of queries eg. how many in their U19 year, how many not schoolboys stars and yarda, yarda - and the current list of names.

Breakdown

Charlie Fox (21)
Can't see any squad list for QLD 20s published to date? Appears all other states have released some time ago which is interesting.

S

sidelineview

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Well, the U20 comp starts on March 5 so it will probably a week before that.

And I think that some will be cut before the first trial at the beginning of February.

This question and any others folks want to know about are probably all on my list of queries eg. how many in their U19 year, how many not schoolboys stars and yarda, yarda - and the current list of names.

Thanks Lee, so the squads for the first trial game should be named late Jan - early Feb.
Looking forward to your post after Tim Rapp sends you his reply.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
NSW U20s trials

Trial 1 – 4 Feb @ Mudgee versus Central West Opens team (curtain raiser to Tahs trial v Brumbies which the Tahs say starts at 6pm)

Trial 2 – 11 Feb @ Bowral versus ACT Under 20, time TBA but probably about 11:30am

Trial 3 – 17 Feb @ Bus Loop, Moore Park versus Sydney Uni, 5:30pm

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Here is a list of names I was given for the NSW Elite Player Development Group (EPG)from which the NSW U20s will be chosen.

The top group (EPG 1) are in their Under 20 year and the second group (EPG 2) are in their Under 19 year.

I think this was the list at the beginning of training in November and I know everybody will want to know who is still in the programme but I can't get that info.

And it's probably no use asking me why this player and that player isn't in the programme because I won't know.

Sorry.
EDP List 2017.png

S

sidelineview

Here is a list of names I was given for the NSW Elite Player Development Group (EPG)from which the NSW U20s will be chosen.

The top group (EPG 1) are in their Under 20 year and the second group (EPG 2) are in their Under 19 year.

I think this was the list at the beginning of training in November and I know everybody will want to know who is still in the programme but I can't get that info.

And it's probably no use asking me why this player and that player isn't in the programme because I won't know.

Sorry.
View attachment 8860

Cheers Lee. This is a good reference point when viewing squads for the trial games.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
How much experience is in the squad Lee. Are you able to highlight those who played U20s for the Waratahs last year and those who were in Aus Schoolboys?

OldColt

Sydney Middleton (9)

Sorry.
View attachment 8860

Just received this from a club contact.......no changes except for the addition of Hutchison & Kennewell..........

NSW Waratahs General Manager of Rugby Tim Rapp has released his under 20 and under 19 elite development squads for 2017 ahead of the second Super 20s tournament to be held later this year.

The two squads have been split for the first time in 2017, with the under 20s set to focus on the upcoming tournament while the under 19s take a more developmental approach.

Former Waratah Matt Bowman and former Joeys mentor Greg Thompson will coach the under 20s squad which includes 16 players from last year’s campaign.

“A few of those guys have been playing Sevens, a couple of other guys have had injuries and then there’s probably six or seven school leavers, 19-year olds who have pushed their way into the under 20s squad, then we’ve got some good club players who add a lot of toughness to the group,” Rapp said.

“It’s a very different group to last year and they all have different strengths but it’s starting to come together quite nicely. They seem to get along quite well and they’re all really good kids.”

After winning the National Championship in 2014 and 2015, NSW didn't qualify for the final in last year’s inaugural Super 20s competition, but Rapp said the coaching staff have learnt a lot from their experiences in 2016.

“We probably had too big a squad last year and I think it affected our performance,” he said.

“The guys that are returning from last year have been taking part in an athletic development program for the last 12 months, so they’re consistency of training is great and when we started in November, those guys were physically a long way in front of the new guys in the program.

“Hopefully we’ll see similar results next year when our current under 19s group are ready to step up into the under 20s program.”

The squad completes one off-field and two on-field sessions per week and three morning weights sessions however players are given the option to complete their weight sessions in the evening to suit their work commitments.

“There’s a good spread of clubs represented. You’ve obviously got some dominant clubs like Uni and Randwick but you’ve got guys from Warringah, guys from Southern Districts, we’ve got Jacob Banner from Penrith and Siale Fifita from Parramatta which is great,” Rapp said.

While Rapp acknowledged the squad still needed plenty of work ahead of the Super 20s tournament, he said he was happy with the development of the new and returning players.

“Harry Johnson-Holmes has really stepped up, we’ve dropped him in a few Waratahs sessions and he’s really held his own and learnt plenty from it. Lachlan Swinton has been handy, he’s a good No.6 from Uni. Tommy Piroddi from Randwick has come back at a different physical level so it’ll be interesting to see him play,” he said.

“Theo Strang has come back from a broken leg. That injury is ongoing but he should be good to go for the tournament. Timmy Clements, a fullback from Uni was great for us last year, then potentially we get Ryan McCauley back from the Waratahs squad as well.
“Some of the new guys have also impressed me. Banjo Travers, a No.9 from Uni has been handy. Dom McGrath, a backrower from Southern Districts has been great, he’s tough and plays hard. Eddy King has come out of the woodwork a bit and is looking really good as well.”

The NSW 20s begin their Super 20s campaign against the Western Force in Sydney on February 25.

NSW Waratahs EPD2 (U20s)

NSW Waratahs General Manager of Rugby Tim Rapp has released his under 20 and under 19 elite development squads for 2017 ahead of the second Super 20s tournament to be held later this year.

The two squads have been split for the first time in 2017, with the under 20s set to focus on the upcoming tournament while the under 19s take a more developmental approach.

Former Waratah Matt Bowman and former Joeys mentor Greg Thompson will coach the under 20s squad which includes 16 players from last year’s campaign.

“A few of those guys have been playing Sevens, a couple of other guys have had injuries and then there’s probably six or seven school leavers, 19-year olds who have pushed their way into the under 20s squad, then we’ve got some good club players who add a lot of toughness to the group,” Rapp said.

“It’s a very different group to last year and they all have different strengths but it’s starting to come together quite nicely. They seem to get along quite well and they’re all really good kids.”

After winning the National Championship in 2014 and 2015, NSW didn't qualify for the final in last year’s inaugural Super 20s competition, but Rapp said the coaching staff have learnt a lot from their experiences in 2016.

“We probably had too big a squad last year and I think it affected our performance,” he said.

“The guys that are returning from last year have been taking part in an athletic development program for the last 12 months, so they’re consistency of training is great and when we started in November, those guys were physically a long way in front of the new guys in the program.

“Hopefully we’ll see similar results next year when our current under 19s group are ready to step up into the under 20s program.”

The squad completes one off-field and two on-field sessions per week and three morning weights sessions however players are given the option to complete their weight sessions in the evening to suit their work commitments.

“There’s a good spread of clubs represented. You’ve obviously got some dominant clubs like Uni and Randwick but you’ve got guys from Warringah, guys from Southern Districts, we’ve got Jacob Banner from Penrith and Siale Fifita from Parramatta which is great,” Rapp said.

While Rapp acknowledged the squad still needed plenty of work ahead of the Super 20s tournament, he said he was happy with the development of the new and returning players.

“Harry Johnson-Holmes has really stepped up, we’ve dropped him in a few Waratahs sessions and he’s really held his own and learnt plenty from it. Lachlan Swinton has been handy, he’s a good No.6 from Uni. Tommy Piroddi from Randwick has come back at a different physical level so it’ll be interesting to see him play,” he said.

“Theo Strang has come back from a broken leg. That injury is ongoing but he should be good to go for the tournament. Timmy Clements, a fullback from Uni was great for us last year, then potentially we get Ryan McCauley back from the Waratahs squad as well.
“Some of the new guys have also impressed me. Banjo Travers, a No.9 from Uni has been handy. Dom McGrath, a backrower from Southern Districts has been great, he’s tough and plays hard. Eddy King has come out of the woodwork a bit and is looking really good as well.”

The NSW 20s begin their Super 20s campaign against the Western Force in Sydney on February 25.

NSW Waratahs EPD2 (U20s)

Lachlan Anderson, Jacob Banner, Daniel Boardman, Philip Bradford, Harry Chapman, Tim Clements, Hutana Coffin, Justin Cooper, Alec Corcoran, Siale Fifita, Max Girdler, Henry Hutchison, Harry Johnson - Holmes, Ezra Chee-Kan, Simon Kennewell, Eddy King, Kepu Lokotui, Ryan McCauley, Dom McGrath, Harry McLennan, Will McRae, Sam Musgrave, Jack Nettleton, Josh Noonan, Tom Piroddi, James Ramm, Lachie Simpson, Max Stewert, Theo Strang, Lachlan Swinton, Sepesa Tarogi, Banjo Travers, Cody Walker, Joe Williams.

NSW Waratahs EDP1 (U19s)

Bo Abra, James Armstrong, Jacob Bristowe, Nick Brown, Will Harrison, Sean Hasegawa, Will Haskins, Luke Hurditch, Tyzac Jordan, Josh Kemeny, Bayley Kuenzle, Nathan Lawson, Ryan Longville, Delahoya Manu, Hugh Margin, Dan Matthew, Jackson Mohi, Jordan Morris, Matthew Orpa, Tom Osborne, Patrick Pelligrini, Dylan Pietsch, Charles Rorke, Darcy Searl, Connor Size, Rory Suttor, Will Terry, DJ Tifa, Harry Turner, Dylan Valeni, James Wayland, William Wennerbom, Nick Wilkinson, Yirribi Jaffer Williams, Angus Windred, Lachlan Windred.

Status
Not open for further replies.