• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2018 Quarter Final NSFW Waratahs vs Otago Highlanders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
cheerl.gif

"HAY LADIEZ. HERE TO WRECK
THE PARTY AGAIN. SORRY."

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
When we got dusted by the Lions earlier we went to Canterbury and almost (emphasis on almost) won. Hopefully we can go one better this time.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
When we got dusted by the Lions earlier we went to Canterbury and almost (emphasis on almost) won. Hopefully we can go one better this time.

The only upside from the Tahs playing as they did (for a fair bit of last night) is that they might be stung and get back to where they were a few weeks back. I think they would have been far better off if they had put in a great performance and snagged a win, but hopefully this one hurt enough to make a difference. I'm not overly confident.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Jesus, the Brumbies played well and have for about 5 - 6 weeks, we dusted the canes, we should have beat the chief's and we beat the Tahs. You came up against a team in form with nothing to lose. The Highlanders haven't been amazing this season and your at home.. Have some Positive vibe, I think you will do them, in a closely run 7 points, Big T to score to break record books.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Hopefully Hooper makes it back this weekend. That would be the only change I'd make if he's available.

Hopefully the poor performance against the Brumbies shakes the Tahs back into focus.

No reason they shouldn't beat the Clan in Sydney. That said, it clearly isn't going to be easy.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
To be honest, after the Lions loss i'm amazed they've made it this far. That was the performance of a wretched side.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It sounds like Hooper is pretty long odds to be available for this weekend.

Hopefully they get the job done and give him a chance to return in the semi final.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Its not that we lost or even the margin. The problem is why we lost. We had no forward dominance (this is a nice way of saying we got smashed at the collision) and our backs all tried to run at the cornerpost. Our kick-chase was lethargic and our defence had no sting.

The Clan would have to be favourites. They've just had a really tough hit-out against the Rebels and have the Smiths returning. They'll play it just like the Brumbies did and we spent 80 minutes trying to figure out how to beat them without success.

That said, the Brumbies played really great rugby. They would have given the Crusaders a close run on that performance and right now I don't see anyone else in the comp doing that.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Its not that we lost or even the margin. The problem is why we lost. We had no forward dominance (this is a nice way of saying we got smashed at the collision) and our backs all tried to run at the cornerpost. Our kick-chase was lethargic and our defence had no sting.

The Clan would have to be favourites. They've just had a really tough hit-out against the Rebels and have the Smiths returning. They'll play it just like the Brumbies did and we spent 80 minutes trying to figure out how to beat them without success.

That said, the Brumbies played really great rugby. They would have given the Crusaders a close run on that performance and right now I don't see anyone else in the comp doing that.
Yes “give it to Taqele” and “kick it for Folau” are not going to win us the competition. We need to add a few variations to our plays, this week will be the real test of the coaching skills of Gibson and Cron, who I think have done a pretty decent job this season, when we see if they can adjust a game plan with limited prep.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
It will come back to our defence.

The Highlanders conceded 37 to the Rebels, and 40+ to the Crusaders and Chiefs the two weeks before. We're going to get plenty of chances, which we are more than capable of taking.

This is where we will really miss Hooper and his work rate. Miller is a nice player but he doesn't bring the class of Hooper in that part of the field.

I also expect the Highlanders to really target Rona, and try and force Taqele to make decisions in defence.

If we can make our tackles, we win the game.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Highlanders are favourites but I think it is really anyone's game. Home ground advantage means a fair bit for the Waratahs and it's hard to see them not rebounding from the performance against the Brumbies.

Should be a cracking game.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Yeah I thought that too. Seems SANZAAR are desperate to save money on airfares, with Jaco Peyper remaining in SA for the Lions/Jags game.

The Saders/Sharks has a Kiwi ref, so three of the four games are potentially open to 'ref bias' claims. You'd suggest it would have been smart to at least swap Gardner and Peyper to avoid this in two of those three games, but what do I know.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Yeah I thought that too. Seems SANZAAR are desperate to save money on airfares, with Jaco Peyper remaining in SA for the Lions/Jags game.

The Saders/Sharks has a Kiwi ref, so three of the four games are potentially open to 'ref bias' claims. You'd suggest it would have been smart to at least swap Gardner and Peyper to avoid this in two of those three games, but what do I know.
I guess how little money they really have, if as a professional sporting organization they can't shell out $400 for a flight.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

And the referee in the fourth game played 60 Super Rugby games for one of the teams involved.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
To be honest I think the Refs have probably been given the games on how they rated! You would imagine to of the hardest/closest games to ref would be Canes/Chiefs and Tahs/Clan. Personally I don't really care who refs the Canes (my team) just go and play the bloody game!!

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
To be honest I think the Refs have probably been given the games on how they rated! You would imagine to of the hardest/closest games to ref would be Canes/Chiefs and Tahs/Clan. Personally I don't really care who refs the Canes (my team) just go and play the bloody game!!
Who’s doing Canes and Chiefs, are there any refs rated more highly than Gardner or Peyper?

Status
Not open for further replies.