• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2018 schools rowing

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SillyBilly

Apparently no sign or even a rumour of a St Augustines boy at the Shore boat shed - you would think they would have had him there by now to fit him in somewhere

S

SillyBilly

Not sure what you mean IS - just following up on comments 239 & 240. Would have thought it would have caused a stir in the Shore boat shed if true

Major Rennie

Herbert Moran (7)
The Fours will be interesting this year. The Eights look to be Shore again. They have a great programme though the other schools are also pretty serious so there should be more mixed results than what we have seen over the last 15 odd years now....

See how the season unfolds and hopefully some crews can test them.

MR

HeavyWind=TimeToScull

Bob McCowan (2)
Nothing new or different today not a big surprise, but what is with all of the crew scratches today. In particular St Joseph’s, ive heard that they may of put their 1st 8 in the 2nd 8 division is this true??

Number 7

Darby Loudon (17)
I've heard that the Joeys eight hasnt rowed together as a full combo since early december due to back to back illness and injuries

Scots and Newington surprising today
Kings had a great race in the u19 eight against scots, rowing them down in the third 500, however still over 6 minutes
Was surprised all times today were not faster considering the immense tailwind.
It wasn’t a true tailwind when I was there, it was swinging to the S/SE so was actually a bit tricky when it picked up. Also wasn’t consistent across the day.

It sounds like there were a lot of injuries across all sheds on the weekend. At least one Shore scratching was due to injury. Seems a bit early in the season for this much injury disruption.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
By the afternoon it was a straight tail, maybe slightly less significant in lanes 1/2, however it was likely fairly tricky to row in.
Seemed to have a bigger influence on the girls, queenwood 6:39..

the lighter crews benefit from a tailwind to a greater extent than the heavy - from what I recall all those year's ago. Still hold true?

up&under

Frank Nicholson (4)
Currently only 4 schools entered for the Scots regatta at the moment (at least in the GPS events). Can't imagine everyone turning up. Rather disappointing.

Johnny come lately

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Agreed, I have no idea why but there is virtually no GPS competition to follow this season. It’s disappointing as a spectator, I can imagine for the boys who made the big boats it is too.

GPS Observer

Herbert Moran (7)
What were the conditions like at Hen & Chicken this morning?

Hen & Chicked was calm, no wind. The Senior racing was lacking as a spectacle with only three crews in most races. I was surprised how well the Grammar Junior shed went. When I checked the results its not obvious what I saw ....they provided good competition across all quad races. Something happening in that shed ???

R&R

Bob McCowan (2)
I for one would like to see the competition perhaps take a leaf out of the American college book and have a few 1 on 1 match races over longer distances such as 5k. Nepean would be perfect for this.

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
Heard similar stories about this happening last term. Outrageous if this is correct

It's reprehensible but shows the lengths some coaches will go to in order to gain a result. Maybe now all the naysayers will believe the claims I made in the 2015-16 season regarding substitutions in the Fours. Do you really think that all seats are scrupulously filled each week and then out of nowhere a GPS coach decides to jump in an empty seat one fine Putney morning? He did it because he knew no-one checks and even when there are known discrepancies, no-one believes it.

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
Agreed, I have no idea why but there is virtually no GPS competition to follow this season. It’s disappointing as a spectator, I can imagine for the boys who made the big boats it is too.

Agree, it's really not acceptable; however it is similar to the Queenwood approach which really grinds my gears. In previous seasons queenwood has attended roughly half of the weekly regattas. This season they have only sent eights to ISRA, PLC/Kings, IGSSA and this weekend's NSW champs. Why PLC/Kings was looked upon with favour I do not know; the two Loreto regattas which kick off the season were contemptuously avoided, and as for lowering themselves to Iron Cove, don't make me laugh! Yet they continue to get away with it although it is entirely against the spirit of not just AHIGs but frankly, RNSW and any organised sport. It's mean-spirited to deny the opposition to compete against you and it's downright rude to ignore the weekly schoolgirl competition which is explicitly set up for your school's sporting participation. If this becomes a trend in GPS I will be dismayed beyond words.

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
Quite a bizarre rant, I thought we were referring to the fact that there aren't many decent regattas for the GPS crews to enter in Term 1. There are only three mandatory regattas for GPS senior crews in term 1 besides the Head of the River. Who in their right mind would want to compete in the Iron Cove or Hen and Chicken unless it was compulsory.

My point is that weekly regattas are organised for schools to attend and it's against the spirit of the competition to decide not to attend. A "decent regatta" is one in which all lanes are filled and crews commit to competing, not just training. Non-attendance is precisely what makes a regatta less interesting for the spectators. If you find that bizarre, I find it equally bizarre that only three regattas are mandatory. That would never happen in any other school sport. In other sports when you skip a fixture it's called a forfeit.

HeavyWind=TimeToScull

Bob McCowan (2)
My point is that weekly regattas are organised for schools to attend and it's against the spirit of the competition to decide not to attend. A "decent regatta" is one in which all lanes are filled and crews commit to competing, not just training. Non-attendance is precisely what makes a regatta less interesting for the spectators. If you find that bizarre, I find it equally bizarre that only three regattas are mandatory. That would never happen in any other school sport. In other sports when you skip a fixture it's called a forfeit.

Last I recall I didn’t think rowing was done by the boys and girls with the thought of making it “interesting for the spectators”. I’m going with the comment that Hen and Chicken and Iron Cove regattas are a waste of time for the big boats. Hen and Chicken is only 1400m or so and that would take up a big portion of the day that could be done completing actual training that will assist in making the ‘proper’ 2k races more interesting for the spectators which is what you and others are referring to. Yes I am also a spectator but it is about the crews not us. And technically if a crew does not compete in a regatta it is basically a forfeit as they are unable to gain points for the pennant.

Status
Not open for further replies.