• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2018 schools rowing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I wonder how Remember 2011's prediction of a changing of the guard at SGS really is. I call 'shananigans' on all of it. He chaired the GPS conveners meeting last Thursday. I would think that reporting something that is knowingly false is grounds for banning on this forum. cyclops the?
Bugger.
Hopelessly trolled twice in one thread in quick succession.
Next I'll be COO,of the ARU.

bigmac

Billy Sheehan (19)
Who told you that? Wally Barnier or Andy Ambrose?
Shore were poor in the viii right through the 70s and early 80s - crews were tsc as a dark horse winner, new favourites and probably equal favourites SGS in 79.
I recall Newington as favourites in 93 but 7 seat collapsed short of the line. Great win for kings.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Chris F

Bob McCowan (2)
The topic of conversation was results through the shed indicating strength, rather than that of the top crew.
Looking at the declining fours and junior eights performance, one cannot see a future where Joeys is on the rise.

The 2016/2017 Year 9 crews at Joeys were really good and improved a great deal in the space of 12 months. A lot can happen between now and Year 11/12 however there is a lot of potential to work with at Joeys in Yr 9. I know they had a lot of respect from the Shore crews.

LuvToRo

Chris McKivat (8)
It will be intriguing to hear of developments going on at Joeys with a new MIC of rowing taking over this season. It's interesting to hear how Shore and Joeys have mutual respect for each other as this is not the culture that i was aware of between the two schools especially in rowing in recent years with a few controversies between the two shed's creating a bit of friction. LTR

Chris F

Bob McCowan (2)
It will be intriguing to hear of developments going on at Joeys with a new MIC of rowing taking over this season. It's interesting to hear how Shore and Joeys have mutual respect for each other as this is not the culture that i was aware of between the two schools especially in rowing in recent years with a few controversies between the two shed's creating a bit of friction. LTR

All I can say is that whatever happened in the past hasn't clouded the Y9 boys judgment of the other crews, in fact I don't think they are even aware of it from what I have observed. I can't comment on the other years. The results for the Y9 Joeys crews were very good and they deserved the recognition they got from their competitors. Kings got noticeably stronger as the season progressed also so it looks like the Y9 cohort will be very competitive as they move into viii's. Which is a good thing.

trueseph

Bob McCowan (2)
All I can say is that whatever happened in the past hasn't clouded the Y9 boys judgment of the other crews, in fact I don't think they are even aware of it from what I have observed. I can't comment on the other years. The results for the Y9 Joeys crews were very good and they deserved the recognition they got from their competitors. Kings got noticeably stronger as the season progressed also so it looks like the Y9 cohort will be very competitive as they move into viii's. Which is a good thing.

Kings aren't going to win HOTR for a long time teeb. I've also heard Joeys have already started pre-season, pretty stupid they're already training

CaptainOf2Seat2017

Frank Row (1)
To be honest i believe that the shore school has another great chance to win as they have three rowers coming back and 5 of the 2016 head of the river record holding jr 8 coming up from the 2nd 8 and 1st 4.

trueseph

Bob McCowan (2)
To be honest i believe that the shore school has another great chance to win as they have three rowers coming back and 5 of the 2016 head of the river record holding jr 8 coming up from the 2nd 8 and 1st 4.

true, but this is the weakest shore viii in the last two years, and this year will theoretically be riverview's strongest viii, which could easily be those 2 seconds they needed to beat shore the past 2 years

Hateful Viii

Frank Row (1)
true, but this is the weakest shore viii in the last two years, and this year will theoretically be riverview's strongest viii, which could easily be those 2 seconds they needed to beat shore the past 2 years
Honestly I'm not really sure what this page has been on about with all the Shore-bashing. The way I see it is that if you'd actually watched them on the day, you'd have known they weren't even close to being up to scratch. Few races before them had any close margins (discounting Gold Cup because it's really not a race). Riverview were nowhere to be seen until Shore slowed anywhere up to about 7 seconds, varying in the past two years. Even then, if it does happen again, which I doubt it would after two years (they'd change something), I don't really see anything special in Riverview and Shore doesn't look to be having a much weaker year with so many returning members that could fill the eight.

I'd also like to point out that Riverview generally had similar margins with Shore, and Shore got slightly worse between seasons (I haven't done the exact math but I might for a solid debate).just saying that it doesn't really seem that Riverview got much better between the seasons, only Shore getting slightly worse

trueseph

Bob McCowan (2)
Honestly I'm not really sure what this page has been on about with all the Shore-bashing. The way I see it is that if you'd actually watched them on the day, you'd have known they weren't even close to being up to scratch. Few races before them had any close margins (discounting Gold Cup because it's really not a race). Riverview were nowhere to be seen until Shore slowed anywhere up to about 7 seconds, varying in the past two years. Even then, if it does happen again, which I doubt it would after two years (they'd change something), I don't really see anything special in Riverview and Shore doesn't look to be having a much weaker year with so many returning members that could fill the eight.

I'd also like to point out that Riverview generally had similar margins with Shore, and Shore got slightly worse between seasons (I haven't done the exact math but I might for a solid debate).just saying that it doesn't really seem that Riverview got much better between the seasons, only Shore getting slightly worse

Ill do the math for you:
2016- Riverview lost to shore by 2.38 seconds
2017- Riverview lost 2.33 seconds.

HOTR this year had tough weather, all the boats were filled with wet zooties, some rain/wind, and shivering rowers, so it's harsh saying shore were the only crew to slow down 7 seconds on race day, every crew would've slowed down too. In 2016, shore didn't slow down 7 seconds, and riverview were again 2.3 seconds behind shore, so the rain and all definitely played a factor.

And correct, as you said, with "shore getting slightly worse" there's no doubt the 2018 VIII will be missing their 'prodigy rowers' like Pasha Bevan, etc. which will most likely slow down shore just another few seconds. And by the way, saying "shore weren't even close to being up to scratch," shore have always been the masters of washing out and having bad technique, they are just much stronger than the other crews and have the capability to crack the rate up to the 40s, which will get them out in front and keep them out in front. On that, Shore werent the only crew that didn't row their best on HOTR, apparently Kings had a guy tear his hammy a few days before HOTR, and Riverviews #1 rower (2016-6 seat, 2017-7 seat) 2 years in a row pulled out the week before hotr, changing up the crews, so again, maybe this could've been riverviews precious 2.3 seconds.

In 2017, if you watched the race, riverview was on shores stern the whole way, and between the last 500-250, were neck and neck with shore, with shore only pulling away the last 250. They're getting closer inch by inch.

Hateful Viii

Frank Row (1)
Firstly your final comment made me laugh, it gave 0 differentiation between the crews. Great finish to a fantastic argument. Now,

You didnt actually finish the math, again the times were different which means that you can't really compare the crews, and i found no valid numbers to make a solid comparison with from previous regattas to corroborate any findings, which therefore makes your/any evidence invalid.

When i referred to 7 seconds, its not 7 seconds of conditions, of 7 seconds of actual boat speed. Speaking from experience, however 7 seconds may be slightly generous it is not far off the pace.

I do find it very funny also when you refer to a specific rower, which I'm pretty sure isn't actually allowed on the forum, but thats not whats funny. You can't really say anything about prodigy rowers when Shore simply cycles through them, its like saying that Shore was missing their prodigy rower for 2017 in their longstanding 5 seat.

Once again, speaking from experience that i'm guessing the two of us share, the rain played very little into the result of the first Viii race, with it largely dissipating before the race started so that can hardly be taken into account.

Shore being the masters of washing out and having bad technique is also hilarious, i'd actually love to know what you base this off. It's like you spent an hour looking at the sun before watching a race but feel free to challenge me on that.

Saying that Shore have always been stronger than the other crews pretty much derails your entire argument, but i'll let it slide because 2015 exists.

Now one of the few things you've stated thats actually correct is that Shore wasnt the only crew not rowing at their best, but again, your entire argument is derailed by firstly; pretty much every race beforehand, and secondly; the two races they raced following at nationals indicating how far ahead they were of the GPS pace and how they were obviously also impacted on the day.

*laughs* I back the Blue and White

LuvToRo

Chris McKivat (8)
Ill do the math for you:
2016- Riverview lost to shore by 2.38 seconds
2017- Riverview lost 2.33 seconds.

HOTR this year had tough weather, all the boats were filled with wet zooties, some rain/wind, and shivering rowers, so it's harsh saying shore were the only crew to slow down 7 seconds on race day, every crew would've slowed down too. In 2016, shore didn't slow down 7 seconds, and riverview were again 2.3 seconds behind shore, so the rain and all definitely played a factor.

And correct, as you said, with "shore getting slightly worse" there's no doubt the 2018 VIII will be missing their 'prodigy rowers' like Pasha Bevan, etc. which will most likely slow down shore just another few seconds. And by the way, saying "shore weren't even close to being up to scratch," shore have always been the masters of washing out and having bad technique, they are just much stronger than the other crews and have the capability to crack the rate up to the 40s, which will get them out in front and keep them out in front. On that, Shore werent the only crew that didn't row their best on HOTR, apparently Kings had a guy tear his hammy a few days before HOTR, and Riverviews #1 rower (2016-6 seat, 2017-7 seat) 2 years in a row pulled out the week before hotr, changing up the crews, so again, maybe this could've been riverviews precious 2.3 seconds.

In 2017, if you watched the race, riverview was on shores stern the whole way, and between the last 500-250, were neck and neck with shore, with shore only pulling away the last 250. They're getting closer inch by inch.
I back the Blue and White

I think it is very naive to say Shore are the masters of washing out and having bad technique and only being able rate high and row hard. If Shore have bad technique then tell me what are the other crews rowing like?? The best way to judge technique is from each schools annual send off video where the filmmakers always show off the best rowing on camera to intimidate the competition and is also footage of training which is a more all rounded perspective of technique. By looking at this years videos, going through school by school; Joeys, Riverview, Scots and Newington which make up the top 5 placings at HOTR definitely DO NOT row better than Shore. The reality is that if the other schools rowed better than Shore technically then why weren't the margins even closer throughout the field? LTR.

trueseph

Bob McCowan (2)
Thats what I heard 'Andrew B Cox,' they were doing a race piece and he tore his hamstring, but I'm not 100% on that, you'll have to ask someone who knows indefinitely.

Now, LTR and 'HatefulVIII" here we are. i don't know what you find so funny about what I said, because it's the truth. You guys are the strongest and tallest out of all the other schools, evident in your erg scores which no other GPS school has matched. And of course you would believe that you have the best technique as well, I mean of course you would, with your perfectly synchronised, fancy, professional HOTR pump up, rowing in perfect conditions and the majority of the video under rate 24, but tell me LTR, instead of looking at videos, have you looked at the HOTR mid-race photos? I have, and from what I see, Shore looked incredibly comfortable and composed with different people leaning out of the boat, different oar heights, puddles washing out, different catch timings and heads going everywhere. I guess the lactic does something to you guys mid race compared to your video, which is the "best way to judge technique."

Whether or not you do English at your school, I'm not sure but do you know what etc. means? Apologies for saying '8 seats' name (hope that makes you feel better) but People use etc. to imply that there is 'more' of something, thus there are other "prodigy" rowers that won't be there next year. Im glad to here your school cycles through 'Prodigy rowers." It's a shame that scotch were able to row through them this year tho, is that why you guys didn't create an FB event saying "Shore's Nationals" like you did for HOTR, or did you guys just decide to lower your egos?

Also, 2015 doesn't 'derail' my argument, it heightens it. Although shore states that the only reason the 2015 crew lost is because a boy 'fainted' with 500 to go, what happened to joeys leading up to 2015? Oh yes, in 2013 they lost to Shore by 2:04 seconds and in 2014 they lost by 4.94 seconds. But what happened in the third year, did Joeys beat Shore? Oh yes, this is all starting to sound familiar... but no no you "doubt it would happen after 2 years."

Finally, 'Hateful Viii,' can you win the MJR at any of the races before HOTR? No you can't, and no one cares that you were far ahead of all the other crews at the previous races, because what people did care about was seeing a crew that averaged 6th the whole season battling neck and neck with the 'mighty' shore viii on the day that actually mattered. And how do you know that Riverview couldn't have matched you at Nationals? using races before march 18 is inaccurate, all crews may have slowed down 7 seconds for all we know.

Hopefully I didn't break any more forum rules, so sorry :(

Hateful Viii

Frank Row (1)
4th paragraph I do agree with you, pretty sure you misunderstood what I said so that's that.

Okay so if Shore were rowing that badly as you seem to be incinuating then why didn't they lose? It's because everybody does it in a race, like sure you can look as good as you want when you're training, but yes, it is much easier to spot technical flaws in tired, mostly finishing photos compared to a video.

Also, why does Riverview average 6th the whole season? Serious question I don't get it. If they can do that why do they not do that in the races before. If there were major crew changes before I hadn't heard of them but I'm curious because it seems to be a really common theme with them. Riverview could have come to nationals, yes, and they would have lost to Shore again, why? Because they stepped up on the day and lost, what would be the major difference between HOTR and Nationals? Mind you Shore made changes as well.

You seem to think that Riverview are this unstoppable force, the true underdog story every year going from 6th to 2nd, but what about the rest of the races. There's a reason that Shore has had such a good run, and that's not only coaching but squad depth. They don't just pull it out in the First Viii, all of the crews have a solid crack at it, and there are some upsets there as well. If you want Riverview to win, maybe they should work on the 5th, 4th, 7th, 2nd and 5th of the rest of their GPS crews

GentlyDownTheStream

Bob McCowan (2)
Almost no original commentary has been made on this page; it's a bit sad really.

Hateful and Trueseph, if you're going to join the forum then please have something of substance to say! I would rather not have to dismantle your cases piece-by-piece, because after the ad-hominem is stripped away, neither of you actually say anything new, meaningful or entertaining.

-GDTS

Status
Not open for further replies.