• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2018 schools rowing

Status
Not open for further replies.

trueseph

Bob McCowan (2)
4th paragraph I do agree with you, pretty sure you misunderstood what I said so that's that.

Okay so if Shore were rowing that badly as you seem to be incinuating then why didn't they lose? It's because everybody does it in a race, like sure you can look as good as you want when you're training, but yes, it is much easier to spot technical flaws in tired, mostly finishing photos compared to a video.

Also, why does Riverview average 6th the whole season? Serious question I don't get it. If they can do that why do they not do that in the races before. If there were major crew changes before I hadn't heard of them but I'm curious because it seems to be a really common theme with them. Riverview could have come to nationals, yes, and they would have lost to Shore again, why? Because they stepped up on the day and lost, what would be the major difference between HOTR and Nationals? Mind you Shore made changes as well.

You seem to think that Riverview are this unstoppable force, the true underdog story every year going from 6th to 2nd, but what about the rest of the races. There's a reason that Shore has had such a good run, and that's not only coaching but squad depth. They don't just pull it out in the First Viii, all of the crews have a solid crack at it, and there are some upsets there as well. If you want Riverview to win, maybe they should work on the 5th, 4th, 7th, 2nd and 5th of the rest of their GPS crews

I don't think Riverview are an unstoppable force because if they were they would've won, and no doubt shore have a great chance of winning in 2018 hands down, I've always said that in previous comments, they will be a very good crew. shore were the best Gps crew in 2017 and they deserved their victories, so I don't want to sound as though I don't respect them I do. Riverview were beaten because of their lack of strength, because if u look at the photos, Riverview had technique over shore, that is all I've tried to elaborate on. also to answer your question riverview builds their program around hotr, that's all I can rlly say.

And GTDS, that was some good debate so I don't know what you're going on about, was much more entertaining than the usual chats about grammar

LuvToRo

Chris McKivat (8)
Thats what I heard 'Andrew B Cox,' they were doing a race piece and he tore his hamstring, but I'm not 100% on that, you'll have to ask someone who knows indefinitely.

Now, LTR and 'HatefulVIII" here we are. i don't know what you find so funny about what I said, because it's the truth. You guys are the strongest and tallest out of all the other schools, evident in your erg scores which no other GPS school has matched. And of course you would believe that you have the best technique as well, I mean of course you would, with your perfectly synchronised, fancy, professional HOTR pump up, rowing in perfect conditions and the majority of the video under rate 24, but tell me LTR, instead of looking at videos, have you looked at the HOTR mid-race photos? I have, and from what I see, Shore looked incredibly comfortable and composed with different people leaning out of the boat, different oar heights, puddles washing out, different catch timings and heads going everywhere. I guess the lactic does something to you guys mid race compared to your video, which is the "best way to judge technique."

Whether or not you do English at your school, I'm not sure but do you know what etc. means? Apologies for saying '8 seats' name (hope that makes you feel better) but People use etc. to imply that there is 'more' of something, thus there are other "prodigy" rowers that won't be there next year. Im glad to here your school cycles through 'Prodigy rowers." It's a shame that scotch were able to row through them this year tho, is that why you guys didn't create an FB event saying "Shore's Nationals" like you did for HOTR, or did you guys just decide to lower your egos?

Also, 2015 doesn't 'derail' my argument, it heightens it. Although shore states that the only reason the 2015 crew lost is because a boy 'fainted' with 500 to go, what happened to joeys leading up to 2015? Oh yes, in 2013 they lost to Shore by 2:04 seconds and in 2014 they lost by 4.94 seconds. But what happened in the third year, did Joeys beat Shore? Oh yes, this is all starting to sound familiar. but no no you "doubt it would happen after 2 years."

Finally, 'Hateful Viii,' can you win the MJR at any of the races before HOTR? No you can't, and no one cares that you were far ahead of all the other crews at the previous races, because what people did care about was seeing a crew that averaged 6th the whole season battling neck and neck with the 'mighty' shore viii on the day that actually mattered. And how do you know that Riverview couldn't have matched you at Nationals? using races before march 18 is inaccurate, all crews may have slowed down 7 seconds for all we know.

Hopefully I didn't break any more forum rules, so sorry :(

You infer that i am affiliated with Shore. I've never said anything to link myself with the school. I'm providing an subjective opinion on the subject. I am assuming you know every erg score out of the Shore 1st 8 to 2 decimal points if you claim to say that they are best otherwise you wouldn't know. Photos can only tell you so much about technique. It may look a bit rough but its how the boat responds to it and if the whole movement is efficient and moving the boat nicely then there really isn't a problem. At the end of the day you can row as nicely as you want but i think i speak for everyone when i say i'd rather be in a successful crew than i crew that rows technically better in your eyes.

As for "prodigy rowers" well having these so called prodigy rowers in crews breeds more prodigy rowers like winning breeds winning. And its not like these certain athletes are born as genetically enhanced rowers. Its the product of putting in effort, coaching and good culture. I'm sorry that whatever school you are affiliated with doesn't have any of these attributes and therefore no 'prodigy rowers'.

Looking at the footage i don't recall anytime Scotch actually rowed through Shore. Shore fairly beat Scotch in the heat at Nationals rowing a 5:46 and then were fairly outpaced by Scotch in the final.
Your mention of Facebook events places you in the position of a student who rowed in these last couple of years and was not successful.Taking your unsuccessful school rowing career out on other people on this forum won't make it any better.

trueseph

Bob McCowan (2)
I don't see their names getting thrown around or mentioned then.
Newington 8 seat and 3 seat I think (not sure about the 2nd guys seat, but there are definitely two great rowers) and they won at nationals, both in yr11
Riverview 6 seat is currently rowing at usyd, was in the first VIII for 3 years
Shore-a number of extremely talented rowers, expected
Scots
I don't know too much about the other schools teeb, but there are always at least 1 or two extremely talented rowers at each school, shore just rolls through them more often

bigmac

Billy Sheehan (19)
Newington 8 seat and 3 seat I think (not sure about the 2nd guys seat, but there are definitely two great rowers) and they won at nationals, both in yr11
Riverview 6 seat is currently rowing at usyd, was in the first VIII for 3 years
Shore-a number of extremely talented rowers, expected
Scots
I don't know too much about the other schools teeb, but there are always at least 1 or two extremely talented rowers at each school, shore just rolls through them more often
Remember 11 mentioned some talent in the grammar shed training over winter but this is tbc. Might be 'alternative facts'.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

trueseph

Bob McCowan (2)
Remember 11 mentioned some talent in the grammar shed training over winter but this is tbc. Might be 'alternative facts'.

On that, is winter rowing a good thing, or do you think it will burn the rowers out too early?

bigmac

Billy Sheehan (19)
On that, is winter rowing a good thing, or do you think it will burn the rowers out too early?
Will help improve standards. Most schools do it now days.
Inside shoulder might confirm rumours that in late 70s SGS raced on sundays for drummonyne? on top of schoolboy commitments saturday. Didnt seem to hurt anyone.

Andrew B Cox

Sydney Middleton (9)
I'm sure the head coach at King's wont have any trouble asking someone who knows 'indefinitely' (who knows what word you were looking for there?)
I can declare 'indefinitely' that no Kings oarsman in the 1st VIII did a hammy leading up to the HOR. Let's face it Trueseph, I should know. Hope that clears things up. Of course an excuse like that would explain a few things, but alas, no such luck.

SIRCWATCH

Frank Nicholson (4)
Surely these so called prodigy rowers can be confirmed via the GPS sculling regatta in which the best individuals compete against one another. Isn't this a good indicator of which school has the "best" rowers?

Hateful Viii

Frank Row (1)
Surely these so called prodigy rowers can be confirmed via the GPS sculling regatta in which the best individuals compete against one another. Isn't this a good indicator of which school has the "best" rowers?
Yes often they can be however some rowers do not attend GPS sculling so it cannot be used as an absolute. For example, Riverview's top rower (I'd assume at least) did not attend GPS sculling in 2016 or 2017 seasons

trueseph

Bob McCowan (2)
He made the GPS crew in 2016 through his sculling, but because he didn't row at hotr 2016, he couldn't qualify. 2017 he was injured

Hateful Viii

Frank Row (1)
He made the GPS crew in 2016 through his sculling, but because he didn't row at hotr 2016, he couldn't qualify. 2017 he was injured
Yep my bad, I knew he didn't make the GPS eight either year, got the first part wrong though. Still the GPS eight would look a bit different in 2017 if he hadn't been injured I'm sure

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
Wow, after a long fallow period this forum has returned to its traditional gossipy, boastful, quarrelsome best!

The back and forth about 'View being a possibility to win HOTR has got a bit stuck on the issue of crew quality alone being enough to win. The reason the Joeys crew was able to take it in 2015 was because of several years of getting closer and closer, both in 1st and 2nd VIIIs. You get your crews operating so that the difference between competing boats is negligible - and then you are in the best position to seize the victory when the day comes. It's entirely possible that it will happen that way for View next year or the year after and after such a long drought I don't think anyone would begrudge them that.

rowbuddy

Frank Nicholson (4)

I think Winter rowing is a good thing for skill development, particular for Y9s learning sweep and Y10/11 to get some single sculling done. I don't think 2-3 sessions burns people out. I think GPS sheds and some girls schools run their senior kids into the ground for one HotR race. Then it can be combinations of U19 rep team, plus school rowing, plus HSC which is an overkill...I guess it depends what people are aiming for i.e. school only, US or local uni rowing, some AUS team which justifies the 'investement'

rowbuddy

Frank Nicholson (4)
Implying that the only rowing talent out of NSW comes from GPS?

Agree, let's look at single final at trials:

1st QLD TSS
2nd NSW St Augustine's
3rd NSW Shore from 1st VIII
4th NSW Shore from 2nd VIII
5th NSW Newington
6th VIC MGS
7th TAS Launceston
8th NSW UTS (former QLD)
9th NSW Kings

You find a couple of more super AAGPS scullers in the B Final. The point is that many schools produce good individual rowers. Some have a thicker pipeline. Secondly, sculling is different, or how can a school boy who can't make the 1st 8+ at his school an AUS junior team? because he can move other boats other than eights well....

LuvToRo

Chris McKivat (8)
My goodness must these schools that are opening their sheds in May be worried about the lack of talent they have as they are basically starting 4 and a half months early. I question the moral compass of the heads of rowing at these schools as opening a school shed in May is utterly ridiculous and is bordering breaching the AAGPS by laws. LTR

LuvToRo

Chris McKivat (8)
I don't appreciate being called delusional. I don't see or hear of Shore who are no doubts favourites again coming into this next season opening up their shed for boys to row so I think that definitely is the reason why they schools are opening sheds. In other words to get the jump on the powerhouse sheds. I think a more appropriate word to describe opening a school shed for boys to row a) on Sundays, and b) in May, is EXCESSIVE.

Status
Not open for further replies.