• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2018 schools rowing

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuvToRo

Chris McKivat (8)
I think you will find that Shore's success is very much linked to their top rowers training harder than anyone else in the winter. Their shed may be closed in winter, but their top rowers are all involved in rowing programs at Sydney, Mosman, UTS etc. To have done 5:46 in mid November was a product of a lot of work through the winter. If you don't understand that then yes you are delusional.

I never said that rowers don't row in the winter. I stated that it is very unusual for schools to open sheds in the winter this early as they have never done in the past and is against AAGPS By Laws to be training during other sports seasons (with the exception of athletics/swimming). It seems like you took what I said very personally maybe that suggests how you are involved in one of those programs and didn't like me questioning your "Moral Compass" as i said in my original post.

trueseph

Bob McCowan (2)
Unless these schools are opening the sheds for gym which is credible, seems pretty ridiculous they have already started rowing. the only good thing for these schools is so they have a head start, peaking at the start of the season. Good luck in March 2018 if they've been rowing for 11 months, because the rowers would've definitely had enough. Look at shore, 5:46 at start of the season, miles in front of everyone else, but didn't improve at all throughout the season, went backwards. Same goes for joeys, they cemented second place in term 4, but bounced between 2nd-4th term 1

SIRCWATCH

Frank Nicholson (4)
I love it how people have views about sheds they obviously have no insight or affiliation with. Some examples, trueseph by your assumption of shore rowing a 546 and not rowing as fast again you assume they went backwards because they were training over winter. So many people comment on what they see or think and they have never actually been very closely associated with the current day sheds it a laughable to think a newington rower knows what's going on at kings or a joeys boy knowing what's happening at the shore shed. Unless your rowing there yourself or have some sort of creditable source ie a boy rowing at the shed all these rumours shouldn't be spread. It's remarkable what some people think they know about differnet sheds so everyone should pull there heads in and stop spreading bullshit.

trueseph

Bob McCowan (2)
Why are so many people opposed to schools allowing their boys to train over the winter? If you want the sport to progress and be more competitive, you should be welcoming boys actually doing some training before august.

Winter training only makes the sport competitive in term4 and will not have an edge over the other schools for HOTR. All the schools that didn't train over winter usually make it up over the Christmas holidays and term 1, hence why the margins are closer in term 1.

trueseph

Bob McCowan (2)
I love it how people have views about sheds they obviously have no insight or affiliation with. Some examples, trueseph by your assumption of shore rowing a 546 and not rowing as fast again you assume they went backwards because they were training over winter. So many people comment on what they see or think and they have never actually been very closely associated with the current day sheds it a laughable to think a newington rower knows what's going on at kings or a joeys boy knowing what's happening at the shore shed. Unless your rowing there yourself or have some sort of creditable source ie a boy rowing at the shed all these rumours shouldn't be spread. It's remarkable what some people think they know about differnet sheds so everyone should pull there heads in and stop spreading bullshit.

My comment was fair, shores margins were the furthest at the start of the season and pretty much stayed the exact same the whole season, whereas all the other crews got closer as the season progressed

SIRCWATCH

Frank Nicholson (4)
Trueseph if you knew anything about rowing you would know 546 is a very quick time and given the conditions it was always going to be hard to beat again (second fastest schoolboy time ever recorded at sirc). The only reason Shore's margins have been so large at the start of the season the past few years is because of the returning rowers having rowed together and perhaps the other schools not focusing on racing in that part of the season. To say shore didn't improve though is an immature approach to how rowing works and the incorrect mindset of what's taking place. Sure the margins closed but that's because other schools got their act together in the later part of the season. Technique will always improve with more miles under the belt so saying a crew remains the same is an ignorant statement obviously made by an individual that doesn't know much about rowing or whom rowed out of a shed that hasn't had success in decades.... not pointing any fingers.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Didn't sgs race in club colours on sundays under rusty robertson??

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
Yep. It was mainly Saturday afternoons and only in summer.
IIRC, it was only so Drummoyne could beat Sydney in the club point score there was nothing immoral about it.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Trueseph if you knew anything about rowing you would know 546 is a very quick time and given the conditions it was always going to be hard to beat again (second fastest schoolboy time ever recorded at sirc). The only reason Shore's margins have been so large at the start of the season the past few years is because of the returning rowers having rowed together and perhaps the other schools not focusing on racing in that part of the season. To say shore didn't improve though is an immature approach to how rowing works and the incorrect mindset of what's taking place. Sure the margins closed but that's because other schools got their act together in the later part of the season. Technique will always improve with more miles under the belt so saying a crew remains the same is an ignorant statement obviously made by an individual that doesn't know much about rowing or whom rowed out of a shed that hasn't had success in decades.. not pointing any fingers.
I think he must be onto something if he's provoking two responses in this tone.
Why are so many people opposed to schools allowing their boys to train over the winter? If you want the sport to progress and be more competitive, you should be welcoming boys actually doing some training before august.
because it's against the purpose of school sport and the research shows that long term the best performers as adults tend to play many sports in their teens.

Andrew B Cox

Sydney Middleton (9)
Two Kings VIIIs currently rowing out of UTS on Wednesday mornings. Not sure about the comment "We are only boating corporate crews". I don't have any problem with the boys rowing out of UTS, but let's be up front about it.
I was simply replying to the comment about our shed being open. The boys are rowing out of UTS off their own bat.

trueseph

Bob McCowan (2)
Trueseph if you knew anything about rowing you would know 546 is a very quick time and given the conditions it was always going to be hard to beat again (second fastest schoolboy time ever recorded at sirc). The only reason Shore's margins have been so large at the start of the season the past few years is because of the returning rowers having rowed together and perhaps the other schools not focusing on racing in that part of the season. To say shore didn't improve though is an immature approach to how rowing works and the incorrect mindset of what's taking place. Sure the margins closed but that's because other schools got their act together in the later part of the season. Technique will always improve with more miles under the belt so saying a crew remains the same is an ignorant statement obviously made by an individual that doesn't know much about rowing or whom rowed out of a shed that hasn't had success in decades.. not pointing any fingers.

obviously there techniwue would improve, but the times show that they did go backwards/stayed around the same, so you can't argue that. Especially considering it was the 2nd fastest time at SIRC, didn't see them whip it out against scotch, thus they were slower. Although I say they got s bit slower, Still doesn't mean that's a bad thing Becaus either way the bar was set high enough for all the other crews. Just used it as an example- winter rowing takes a toll on the rowers throughout the season.

Hateful Viii

Frank Row (1)
obviously there techniwue would improve, but the times show that they did go backwards/stayed around the same, so you can't argue that. Especially considering it was the 2nd fastest time at SIRC, didn't see them whip it out against scotch, thus they were slower. Although I say they got s bit slower, Still doesn't mean that's a bad thing Becaus either way the bar was set high enough for all the other crews. Just used it as an example- winter rowing takes a toll on the rowers throughout the season.
Shore did a 5:47 at nationals heat with slower conditions than the 5:46 (still fast but much slower). Scotch would have undoubtedly gone faster but the final was a slower race than the heat

John jones

Frank Row (1)
I never said that rowers don't row in the winter. I stated that it is very unusual for schools to open sheds in the winter this early as they have never done in the past and is against AAGPS By Laws to be training during other sports seasons (with the exception of athletics/swimming). It seems like you took what I said very personally maybe that suggests how you are involved in one of those programs and didn't like me questioning your "Moral Compass" as i said in my original post.
not unusual to have the school sheds open in Autumn & Winter, a couple of the schools have been doing this for years, if the boys want to row then so be it, it is not compulsory and it is not breaking the AAGPS by laws. I know most of the boys who do go down to the sheds are generally not in the top 8 of their division and they want to be,no harm in that and there really is not much workload whilst they are on the water,it more getting their technique up to speed

Johnny come lately

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Scotch College.

Won the first race at HRR by 4.5 lengths altho not in the quickest time. Highly rated crew so lets see where Australian Schoolboy rowing rates globally...

Johnny come lately

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Scotch up again in the 2nd day of racing. They have been much quicker than the competition so far but as Henley goes, each gets an order harder so we'll see what today brings for the mexicans.

Status
Not open for further replies.