• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2018 schools rowing

Status
Not open for further replies.

E B

Frank Row (1)
Heard on the grapevine that a legendary old coach/rower from North Shore has joined the exodus from SJC and is now giving KT a hand at New. That explains the fresh approach.

Might want to check the grapes off that vine coz they seem a bit sour...

bigmac

Billy Sheehan (19)
Wouldn't say Newington is doing anything 'fresh' either, this is pretty similar to what they did last year. Roach and Wearne still in charge
Is Morgan still in the background at Newington?

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

R&R

Bob McCowan (2)
I feel as though if you have a crew average in the mid 6 20's you won't be at any serious disadvantage to any other crews. Something I feel a lot of the higher ups in the rowing community of this country need to realise is that ergs don't float. I'd much rather have a bloke that can do a 7 15 single and 6 40 erg than a guy with a 6 10 erg but does a 7 45 in a single.

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
I wholeheartedly agree with you R&R

Unfortunately with such a short season in Australian Schoolboy rowing, making 8 erg monsters row with a style that they can put their power down is often much easier than getting a crew to row so technically tight that it makes up for a slower erg, like they often do in Great Britain, where they have the opportunity to row all year round

Too true. Seen many a ranking week where the supposedly #1 rower is just an absolute beast who can smash out a monstrous erg. Put him in the boat where it's about technique and teamwork and he's almost a liability.

Andrew B Cox

Sydney Middleton (9)
Extremely good, I coached him as a junior 8 rower, and we have a great mutual respect. He is a fine young man, and the Kings boys have responded very well to his insights. As you may know, he is heading to the NTC, but his input will continue.

Reactions: R&R

Andrew B Cox

Sydney Middleton (9)
No, we do 2k ergs as our test. We have all the results from the past 15 years at Oct, Dec , Jan and March stages, so we benchmark our top 16.

we also do ergs for training, but they vary.

when Concept 2 ergs came in, the first standard was 2.5k.

During my time competing, the standard was the Gjessing Erg and a 6min test. Perhaps the largest illustration of humanity I've ever seen.

But to answer your question. 2K. And yes, our benchmarking suggests we are handy.

And thank you. We are all happy, but not satisfied.

Johnny come lately

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Good post Moving Now.

When does a 6 min flat get you 5th at SIRC? Either this GPS pack are flyers or today was quiiiick.
Shores 2nd 8 looks unbeatable and most schools would be pleased with them as a first 8.. however, in the first 8, Kings today at least showed they are real contenders to give Shore a push.
If SJC get it together, considering the depth they definitely have, this season is wide open.

Johnny come lately

Jimmy Flynn (14)
What happened with the Newington regatta today? Seems like lots of crews hit snooze on the alarm and went back to bed. Pretty disappointing turnout for the organisers..

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
What happened with the Newington regatta today? Seems like lots of crews hit snooze on the alarm and went back to bed. Pretty disappointing turnout for the organisers..
Disappointing for Newington, but not a great race for the senior crews. David Jennings would rather have two long rows. My son tells me in his year they didn’t even turn up for the Shore regatta at H&C!

Andrew B Cox

Sydney Middleton (9)
I don't know where you think we've dispersed, but clearly you are mistaken. We've had more than 20 for 3 sessions every week. Plus additional weight sessions.

Status
Not open for further replies.