• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2018 Super Rugby Final Cantabs vs Lions

who do you want to win?

• Cantabs

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • none of the above

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • prefer not to say

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • "Locking this pole up" - Cyclo

• who gives a shit

• Lions

• not a bad pole

• I've seen better

Votes: 4 25.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Lions coach Swys de Bruin pleads for "safe passage" for his mollycoddled team.
--Stuff--

1533070896186.jpg
Lions coach Swys de Bruin plans to raise his concerns about the opposing team being very good with referee Angus Gardner.

Lions coach Swys de Bruin has pleaded for yet more preferential treatment ahead of this weekend's Super Rugby final.

"Look, we finished the regular season 9 and 7, good enough for 5th place in the New Zealand conference. We're used to being mollycoddled. We come from a "mummy, mummy, we simply MUST have a guaranteed playoffs spot or we shan't share ANY more of the broadcasting money with you, WE SIMPLY SHAN'T, playoff spot NOW, MUMMY" atmosphere. We blundered through the regular season playing against unco dopes and now I fear that this NZ side might be too good at rugby for us. So we're asking SANZAR to step in and give us some more protection. Maybe a hawftime 20 point stawt? Without it we really are at risk of potentially LOSING the rugby football match. Which would be our 8th loss of the season. This would be unacceptable for the good people of South Africa."

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
oops, pole glitch mania here, you have 8 votes each.

That being, every option in the poll

How much democracy can you take?

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^ just read de Bruin's comments to supersport.com before the team flew out. Wasn't he the guy "slamming" kiwi coaches last week for being whiners? Something about "you don't hear us whinging about four weeks tours [actually we do & have been since ~1996, bru] while they only have two weeks away". I've not problem with Gardner policing the offside line provided it's BOTH sides of the ball AND he also watches where Marx etc place their hands immediately before attempting a pilfer (hint: on the ground, mostly) & who ends up supporting their body weight (hint: someone else, mostly).

SANZAAR have handed de Bruin & others a ready-made excuse should they lose, though, apparently Jackson will be an AR: the other's Berry (Aus version), haven't heard who the TMO is yet, but please don't let it be Skeen.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
haven't heard who the TMO is yet, but please don't let it be Skeen.
"Comms check, check 1-2, 1-2, check 1-2, Alpha Ben to Delta Ranger Angus do you copy, I repeat, do you c
"Ben have you been watching old episodes of 24 up there again?"
"Umm..... I agree with your onfield decision."

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I would prefer choice "let it be an absolute bloodbath of total violence"

Reactions: TSR

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
^^^^^^^ just read de Bruin's comments to supersport.com before the team flew out. Wasn't he the guy "slamming" kiwi coaches last week for being whiners? Something about "you don't hear us whinging about four weeks tours [actually we do & have been since ~1996, bru] while they only have two weeks away". I've not problem with Gardner policing the offside line provided it's BOTH sides of the ball AND he also watches where Marx etc place their hands immediately before attempting a pilfer (hint: on the ground, mostly) & who ends up supporting their body weight (hint: someone else, mostly).

SANZAAR have handed de Bruin & others a ready-made excuse should they lose, though, apparently Jackson will be an AR: the other's Berry (Aus version), haven't heard who the TMO is yet, but please don't let it be Skeen.

#skeenmachine
#skeeeeeeeeeeeeeenmachiiiiiiiiiiine

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
wft is this
x_votes
with no numbers I can't even keep track of my own pole

stupid GAGR P.O.W's, you had ONE thing to do, ONE bloody thing.

Japane.jpg
"Right then, which one of you dipshits used x's instead of fucken numbers?"
"I'm sorry Mr Pillock, GAGR didn't give us any numbers, we have to make our own x's from thes....."
"WELL, MAKE FUCKEN NUMBERS INSTEAD OF X'S YOU DUMBARSES."

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
wft is this

with no numbers I can't even keep track of my own pole

stupid GAGR P.O.W's, you had ONE thing to do, ONE bloody thing.

Japane.jpg

"Right then, which one of you dipshits used x's instead of fucken numbers?"
"I'm sorry Mr Pillock, GAGR didn't give us any numbers, we have to make our own x's from thes..."
"WELL, MAKE FUCKEN NUMBERS INSTEAD OF X'S YOU DUMBARSES."

Best speak to Big X.
RIchard-Attenborbough-as-Big-X-in-the-Great-Escape.png

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
For those unfamiliar with Skeen's work:

But if this match is remembered for anything, it'll be the contribution of Television Match Official Ben Skeen. His influence was significant; not just in overturning two Vince Aso tries but in adjudicating a lot of the running play, rather than referee Jamie Nutbrown.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...nce-of-referees-in-scrappy-win-over-sunwolves

‘‘The game’s in an interesting place, isn’t it?’’ Thorn said. ‘‘If that’s what rugby is where you slow things down ... I don’t know if that’s enjoyable for people.
‘‘Everyone’s talking about that at the moment on both sides of the Tasman.‘‘I don’t know what I’m supposed to say. It’s hurting the game.’’
Rookie winger Jordan Petaia was the first Reds player sent to the bin in the 23rd minute for what television match official Ben Skeen deemed a dangerous lifting tackle on Blues centre Michael Collins. Thorn argued the yellow card was harsh as Petaia didn’t drive Collins into the ground.
Two minutes later, Petaia was joined on the sidelines by Taniela Tupou for a low no-arms tackle on Blues prop Ofa Tu’ungafasi.
Replays suggested Tupou tried to wrap his arms around Tu’ungafasi’s ankles but was knocked back by his opponent’s leg.
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...after-double-sin-binning-20180629-p4zooe.html

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Heiden Bedwell-Curtis takes Taufua's spot, obviously they think Aussie Pete offers more off the bench than starting, otherwise it's the same XV as dusted the 'canes:

Crusaders: David Havili, Seta Tamanivalu, Jack Goodhue, Ryan Crotty, George Bridge, Richie Mo'unga, Bryn Hall, Kieran Read, Matt Todd, Heiden Bedwell-Curtis, Sam Whitelock (capt), Scott Barrett, Owen Franks, Codie Taylor, Joe Moody. Reserves: Sam Anderson-Heather/Andrew Makalio, Tim Perry, Michael Ala'alatoa, Luke Romano, Pete Samu, Mitchell Drummond, Mitchell Hunt, Braydon Ennor.

Surprised to see Makalio bracketed on the bench, I thought he was no chance: maybe he got his hands on some of Waisake Naholo's magic kava :)

QH both those Yellows were Yellow under the current Laws & protocols. Whether they should be, which I think was more Thorn's argument, is another matter entirety.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I think QH's point is that under the current system Skeeno as ima call him could have this match thoroughly bogged down in pedantry and TV replays.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^^ absolutely, hence my initial "please don't let it be Skeen" comment. I think it's a bit harsh, though, to bag the guy for two calls he got 100% correct according to the protocols.

EDIT: Anyhoo, the TMO is McDermott so the point is rather moot.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Lions: Andries Coetzee, Ruan Combrink, Lionel Mapoe, Harold Vorster, Courtnal Skosan, Elton Jantjies, Ross Cronje, Warren Whiteley, Cyle Brink, Kwagga Smith, Franco Mostert, Marvin Orie, Ruan Dreyer, Malcolm Marx, Jacques van Rooyen. Reserves: Corne Fourie, Dylan Smith, Johannes Jonker, Lourens Erasmus, Marnus Schoeman, Dillon Smit, Aphiwe Dyantyi, Howard Mnisi.

Mark Keohane on sport24.co.za reckons they'll lose by a similar margin to 2016 (3-20 v 'canes).

Blake

Ted Fahey (11)
Sam Anderson Heather!

He’s never had a super rugby contract in his career (still doesn’t) and here he is going to play in a super rugby final.

It’s his 3rd super rugby cap of his 12 year rugby career.

Here’s hoping codie Taylor doesn’t go down early.

Reactions: TSR

Blake

Ted Fahey (11)
Heiden Bedwell-Curtis takes Taufua's spot, obviously they think Aussie Pete offers more off the bench than starting, otherwise it's the same XV as dusted the 'canes:

Crusaders: David Havili, Seta Tamanivalu, Jack Goodhue, Ryan Crotty, George Bridge, Richie Mo'unga, Bryn Hall, Kieran Read, Matt Todd, Heiden Bedwell-Curtis, Sam Whitelock (capt), Scott Barrett, Owen Franks, Codie Taylor, Joe Moody. Reserves: Sam Anderson-Heather/Andrew Makalio, Tim Perry, Michael Ala'alatoa, Luke Romano, Pete Samu, Mitchell Drummond, Mitchell Hunt, Braydon Ennor.

Surprised to see Makalio bracketed on the bench, I thought he was no chance: maybe he got his hands on some of Waisake Naholo's magic kava :)

QH both those Yellows were Yellow under the current Laws & protocols. Whether they should be, which I think was more Thorn's argument, is another matter entirety.

I’d say it is more of a case of giving him every second possible to be fit, given the bloke replacing him is an amatuer from outside the squad.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Apparently it's a foggy morning in Christchurch but once it clears it should be a cool, clear day. Expected temp of 7 or 8C at kickoff & no wind to speak of so the big screen should be able to be hoisted up. Just out of curiosity I googled "Johannesburg weather" & at 7:30 Saturday their time it'll be ~18C & sunny. Does it ever get cold (by which I mean NZ or Canberra cold) in Jo'burg?

Status
Not open for further replies.