• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2018 SYDNEY COLTS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
Wished he had taken up the offer to play rugby in NZ this year but all he wanted was to stay and play where he was born, Sydney! Will never forget him saying "unless you play for NSW or Australian schoolboys, you will never make it into the waratahs.." Was that why his school rugby coaches wanted him to repeat Y12 this year.no way, stuff that pathway, we aint gonna pay another 20 or 30 grand in boarding. We're glad he's completed 5 Uni subjects already this year, a part-time job in the legal sector to afford his city living, was his choice and glad hes enjoyed playing for his club and living away from home without any financial support, has done well! That's life lesson for an 18 year old! You can go and play rugby anywhere in the world, but to complete a tertiary qualification is the only positive tool we have instilled in him!

Way too early in the piece to get dispirited.... The stats show that the NSW or Aussie Schoolboys representation is NOT the only pathway into professional rugby, Super Rugby or higher. There are many opportunities (both in AU and overseas) for those that haven't yet caught the selectors eye and are prepared to put in the work and persist.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
Congrats to all the young men who have made the under 20's extended squad. You all must be quite proud.

Questions though.
When does the next cull occur?
When did the team go from Aust under 20's to junior wallabies?
And why? I am a bit too thick to understand this "Branding" thing.
In far flung outposts like south oz and victoria, no one knows about wallabies, but they might acknowledge Aust 20's.
Last but not least, why no token west australian or does have to do with super stuff?

the baz

Alfred Walker (16)
Pretty disappointed in that gen blue team. Such a lack of diversity, If i was an aspiring rugby player and saw that id go to randwick, southern districts or uni, does anyone actually have a chance if you're from another club? As soon as these teams start picking players from all clubs it will result in a more even comp as every team will be stronger and it will also disperse the talent as playing for certain clubs will no longer mean a higher chance of selection. More so i think there are also many players who have been hard done. Eastwood had a strong showing in colts yet only have 2 players picked, james turner from west harbour certainly is good enough to be there, warringah another strong team who had a few upsets through their 2016 season do not have a single selection. Im sure all these boys are great players but i think there is certainly a problem with either selections or the location of talent.

I failed to watch any games this season, but again I can see no northern suburbs players selected. Do the gen blue coaches and selectors watch all games? surely at least 1 players stood out and deserved to be in the 42...or did they have such a poor season that there was no one to earn the reward?

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
I failed to watch any games this season, but again I can see no northern suburbs players selected. Do the gen blue coaches and selectors watch all games? surely at least 1 players stood out and deserved to be in the 42.or did they have such a poor season that there was no one to earn the reward?

There were Gen Blue "Trials" in June this year.....some of the Norths lads were invited. https://rugbynews.net.au/nsw-gen-blue-u19s-possibles-v-probables-trial-team-lists/

Shadow

Sydney Middleton (9)
but surely at least 1 would have been seen to be good enough to make the 42?
Did Norths coaches push there players names and credentials on why they should be given an opportunity especially those that did not go too a rugby school?

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Norths 1st Colts team for the last round

Please nominate any players you feel were unlucky not to make the Genblue squad

I didnt see Norths play, Doyle was a standout at School and Spooner was one of Joeys best forwards in 2016. Missing is Colts player of the year, Ed Gregory who I also rate.

# Position Player T C P FG SB SO PP
1. Loose head prop PUCHERT, David - - - - - - -
2. Hooker CROTTI, Alex - - - - - - -
3. Tight head prop BLOCK, Ryan - - - - - - 2
4. Left lock SINCLAIR, Hamish - - - - - - -
5. Right lock SPOONER, Jack - - - - - - -
6. Left flanker PSALTIS, Matthew - - - - - - 1
7. Right flanker MILLER, George 1 - - - - - -
8. Number eight DOYLE, James - - - - - - 2
9. Scrum half NOONAN, Joshua - - - - - - -
10. Fly half WINCHESTER, Connor - 2 - - Y - 2
11. Left Wing COFFIN, Hutana 1 - - - - - -
12. Left centre LALAGA, Taulogo - - - - - - -
13. Right centre CAMPTON, Zac - - - - - - 2
14. Right wing CUDMORE, Harry 2 - - - - - 2
15. Full back SIZE, Connor - - - - - - -
17. Reserve 1 RADFORD, Jack - - - - - - -
21. Reserve 2 CRAMP, Nick - - - - - - -

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
Did Norths coaches push there players names and credentials on why they should be given an opportunity especially those that did not go too a rugby school?

As I understood it all club Colts Directors were asked to nominate players from their colts programs. You would have to assume (possibly incorrectly ) that they would be nominating players they thought had a chance and that the possibles and probables lists were drafted on the basis of such feedback. All that being said there were several players who showed up who weren't invited by the Gen Blue selectors but told to show up on the day by their coaches. Some of the names published in the above link didn't present for the trial yet ended up in the Gen Blue side so there must also have been another process which may have involved selectors watching games.

the baz

Alfred Walker (16)
Norths 1st Colts team for the last round

Please nominate any players you feel were unlucky not to make the Genblue squad

I didnt see Norths play, Doyle was a standout at School and Spooner was one of Joeys best forwards in 2016. Missing is Colts player of the year, Ed Gregory who I also rate.

# Position Player T C P FG SB SO PP
1. Loose head prop PUCHERT, David - - - - - - -
2. Hooker CROTTI, Alex - - - - - - -
3. Tight head prop BLOCK, Ryan - - - - - - 2
4. Left lock SINCLAIR, Hamish - - - - - - -
5. Right lock SPOONER, Jack - - - - - - -
6. Left flanker PSALTIS, Matthew - - - - - - 1
7. Right flanker MILLER, George 1 - - - - - -
8. Number eight DOYLE, James - - - - - - 2
9. Scrum half NOONAN, Joshua - - - - - - -
10. Fly half WINCHESTER, Connor - 2 - - Y - 2
11. Left Wing COFFIN, Hutana 1 - - - - - -
12. Left centre LALAGA, Taulogo - - - - - - -
13. Right centre CAMPTON, Zac - - - - - - 2
14. Right wing CUDMORE, Harry 2 - - - - - 2
15. Full back SIZE, Connor - - - - - - -
17. Reserve 1 RADFORD, Jack - - - - - - -
21. Reserve 2 CRAMP, Nick - - - - - - -

the baz

Alfred Walker (16)
cudmore, noonan, size, doyle for mine should have earned a chance, but as previously mentioned, I didn't watch any games this season to see how those players performed...im going on previous years performances

the baz

Alfred Walker (16)
cudmore, noonan, size, doyle for mine should have earned a chance, but as previously mentioned, I didn't watch any games this season to see how those players performed...im going on previous years performances

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Keep in mind they are only selecting boys U20 eligible in 2018.

Got a feeling Noonan probably not, as he was over age and couldn't play at school in the last year. (Doyle as well would be out of age now)

Also, the Genblue squad is only small and also includes boys leaving school this year. Someone playing 1st colts this year would have to be considered 1 or 2 in his position across the comp to be considered.

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
There is quite a few in the squad I don't know. There is plenty of this year's graduates I don't know either. I don't know all the Randwick selections.

I am just interested to know which players people think were unlucky not to gain selection or are on the fringe and might figure in future rep sides.

tooldtoplay

Bob McCowan (2)
Honey Badger hope your doing well and looking forward to the Xmas break..Just can't help myself after reading this thread.....you said...I am just interested to know which players people think were unlucky not to gain selection or are on the fringe and might figure in future rep sides ?
Well a young bloke I've been following for some years up in here in the bush headed for Wicks last year, got a spot in 3rds as a lock..Big rep CV on him with 5 years with Country juniors, NSW CHS etc and was not even put forward for a tryout..After winning the GF his 3rd grade colts coach said to him "what you doing next year? He said playing Rugby. The coach said that he should forget that and look to doing something else..#jimmylang so funny...Fully committed young man never missed a training and gave his all But no chance of getting a look in..he knew he wasn't going to get anywhere with wicks in the first 6 weeks and was offered to go to Norths but he didn't want to be a dog (as he put it )and saw out the season. Was it the school he went too or the director of colts didn't like him??? who knows .Wicks wasn't his club..I hear Norths will be his club in 2018 they want him...Anyway not to be disheartened after his 1 season in the big smoke at Wicks being overlooked for the U20 Gen blue trials... he got on a plane in September and headed to the UK as he was asked to tryout for a London Academy..After 4 weeks training and playing in the Ealing U20 London Rugby Academy they made him the U20 Captain and NO8..Didn't end there he is still there but now playing with a Nat 2 men's side as run on No 8 with a very lucrative offer to come back next year and play NAT 1...You will see him in the red and black of Norths colts in 2018 as they seem to like the hard working country boys.. When you look at the Gen blue list and see all GPS school boys you may feel that you have no chance of making higher honers if you didn't go to a private school ..Think again if you want to play rugby you will find a way. He has....Had a chat to the lad today and he said he can't wait to get back and play his final season of colts in Sydney and is looking forward to meeting the wicks boys on the field...Funny hay one coaches trash is another coaches GOLD...where there is a will there is a way..I'm involved with rugby in the country and i,m always asked by young lads should I go to Sydney to play..Maybe not, but if you do it's a hard road and sometimes it's not your skill, your passion and your commitment to the game that will see you through it's your determination to succeed and be able to try a different path..He did now he is 6'3 ..105 kg fit and ready watch out Sydney....Round two

redblack

Larry Dwyer (12)
Honey Badger hope your doing well and looking forward to the Xmas break..Just can't help myself after reading this thread...you said.I am just interested to know which players people think were unlucky not to gain selection or are on the fringe and might figure in future rep sides ?
Well a young bloke I've been following for some years up in here in the bush headed for Wicks last year, got a spot in 3rds as a lock..Big rep CV on him with 5 years with Country juniors, NSW CHS etc and was not even put forward for a tryout..After winning the GF his 3rd grade colts coach said to him "what you doing next year? He said playing Rugby. The coach said that he should forget that and look to doing something else..#jimmylang so funny.Fully committed young man never missed a training and gave his all But no chance of getting a look in..he knew he wasn't going to get anywhere with wicks in the first 6 weeks and was offered to go to Norths but he didn't want to be a dog (as he put it )and saw out the season. Was it the school he went too or the director of colts didn't like him??? who knows .Wicks wasn't his club..I hear Norths will be his club in 2018 they want him.Anyway not to be disheartened after his 1 season in the big smoke at Wicks being overlooked for the U20 Gen blue trials. he got on a plane in September and headed to the UK as he was asked to tryout for a London Academy..After 4 weeks training and playing in the Ealing U20 London Rugby Academy they made him the U20 Captain and NO8..Didn't end there he is still there but now playing with a Nat 2 men's side as run on No 8 with a very lucrative offer to come back next year and play NAT 1.You will see him in the red and black of Norths colts in 2018 as they seem to like the hard working country boys.. When you look at the Gen blue list and see all GPS school boys you may feel that you have no chance of making higher honers if you didn't go to a private school ..Think again if you want to play rugby you will find a way. He has..Had a chat to the lad today and he said he can't wait to get back and play his final season of colts in Sydney and is looking forward to meeting the wicks boys on the field.Funny hay one coaches trash is another coaches GOLD.where there is a will there is a way..I'm involved with rugby in the country and i,m always asked by young lads should I go to Sydney to play..Maybe not, but if you do it's a hard road and sometimes it's not your skill, your passion and your commitment to the game that will see you through it's your determination to succeed and be able to try a different path..He did now he is 6'3 ..105 kg fit and ready watch out Sydney..Round two

Good luck to him and u dad. With your persistence he will surely succeed. Would be surprised if he gets the 1sts colts jumper away from a couple of incumbents at norths. Country selections can be just as biased as gen blue etc

Gary Owen III

Syd Malcolm (24)
Good luck to him and u dad. With your persistence he will surely succeed. Would be surprised if he gets the 1sts colts jumper away from a couple of incumbents at norths. Country selections can be just as biased as gen blue etc

I think the point is that Norths will give him the chance to challenge any incumbents for a 1st grade colts jumper next season. Rest is up to him.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
I think the point is that Norths will give him the chance to challenge any incumbents for a 1st grade colts jumper next season. Rest is up to him.
GoIII, Sinclair will be out of colts next year?? Doyle also. So there Should be 1 Lock spot and an 8 spot available?

Status
Not open for further replies.