• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2018 SYDNEY COLTS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Owen III

Syd Malcolm (24)
GoIII, Sinclair will be out of colts next year?? Doyle also. So there Should be 1 Lock spot and an 8 spot available?

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

I guess it depends on whom turns up again in 2018.. Incumbent locks i guess would be considered as Bracken & Spooner with Coombes as #8. But Gifford would be well in the mix from what i saw of him as a CHS player in 2017.

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
Honey Badger hope your doing well and looking forward to the Xmas break..Just can't help myself after reading this thread...you said.I am just interested to know which players people think were unlucky not to gain selection or are on the fringe and might figure in future rep sides ?
Well a young bloke I've been following for some years up in here in the bush headed for Wicks last year, got a spot in 3rds as a lock..Big rep CV on him with 5 years with Country juniors, NSW CHS etc and was not even put forward for a tryout..After winning the GF his 3rd grade colts coach said to him "what you doing next year? He said playing Rugby. The coach said that he should forget that and look to doing something else..#jimmylang so funny.Fully committed young man never missed a training and gave his all But no chance of getting a look in..he knew he wasn't going to get anywhere with wicks in the first 6 weeks and was offered to go to Norths but he didn't want to be a dog (as he put it )and saw out the season. Was it the school he went too or the director of colts didn't like him??? who knows .Wicks wasn't his club..I hear Norths will be his club in 2018 they want him.Anyway not to be disheartened after his 1 season in the big smoke at Wicks being overlooked for the U20 Gen blue trials. he got on a plane in September and headed to the UK as he was asked to tryout for a London Academy..After 4 weeks training and playing in the Ealing U20 London Rugby Academy they made him the U20 Captain and NO8..Didn't end there he is still there but now playing with a Nat 2 men's side as run on No 8 with a very lucrative offer to come back next year and play NAT 1.You will see him in the red and black of Norths colts in 2018 as they seem to like the hard working country boys.. When you look at the Gen blue list and see all GPS school boys you may feel that you have no chance of making higher honers if you didn't go to a private school ..Think again if you want to play rugby you will find a way. He has..Had a chat to the lad today and he said he can't wait to get back and play his final season of colts in Sydney and is looking forward to meeting the wicks boys on the field.Funny hay one coaches trash is another coaches GOLD.where there is a will there is a way..I'm involved with rugby in the country and i,m always asked by young lads should I go to Sydney to play..Maybe not, but if you do it's a hard road and sometimes it's not your skill, your passion and your commitment to the game that will see you through it's your determination to succeed and be able to try a different path..He did now he is 6'3 ..105 kg fit and ready watch out Sydney..Round two

Can you contact me?

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
@TOTP, When I posted for people to nominate any other players on the fringe of rep selection, I wasn't expecting any more from Randwick.

I know of the player you refer to. I have seen him play against my bloke and rated him as one of the best players in the team that day. I was surprised he wasn't playing a higher grade at Randwick.

Sounds like he has had success in England, playing at a high level. Some coaches are better at identifying talent and developing it than others.

Good luck to him at North's. If he is good enough I am sure he will get the opportunity to play 1sts colts or even grade. I really don't think any clubs care what school you went to of where you come from.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
Honey Badger hope your doing well and looking forward to the Xmas break..Just can't help myself after reading this thread...you said.I am just interested to know which players people think were unlucky not to gain selection or are on the fringe and might figure in future rep sides ?
Well a young bloke I've been following for some years up in here in the bush headed for Wicks last year, got a spot in 3rds as a lock..Big rep CV on him with 5 years with Country juniors, NSW CHS etc and was not even put forward for a tryout..After winning the GF his 3rd grade colts coach said to him "what you doing next year? He said playing Rugby. The coach said that he should forget that and look to doing something else..#jimmylang so funny.Fully committed young man never missed a training and gave his all But no chance of getting a look in..he knew he wasn't going to get anywhere with wicks in the first 6 weeks and was offered to go to Norths but he didn't want to be a dog (as he put it )and saw out the season. Was it the school he went too or the director of colts didn't like him??? who knows .Wicks wasn't his club..I hear Norths will be his club in 2018 they want him.Anyway not to be disheartened after his 1 season in the big smoke at Wicks being overlooked for the U20 Gen blue trials. he got on a plane in September and headed to the UK as he was asked to tryout for a London Academy..After 4 weeks training and playing in the Ealing U20 London Rugby Academy they made him the U20 Captain and NO8..Didn't end there he is still there but now playing with a Nat 2 men's side as run on No 8 with a very lucrative offer to come back next year and play NAT 1.You will see him in the red and black of Norths colts in 2018 as they seem to like the hard working country boys.. When you look at the Gen blue list and see all GPS school boys you may feel that you have no chance of making higher honers if you didn't go to a private school ..Think again if you want to play rugby you will find a way. He has..Had a chat to the lad today and he said he can't wait to get back and play his final season of colts in Sydney and is looking forward to meeting the wicks boys on the field.Funny hay one coaches trash is another coaches GOLD.where there is a will there is a way..I'm involved with rugby in the country and i,m always asked by young lads should I go to Sydney to play..Maybe not, but if you do it's a hard road and sometimes it's not your skill, your passion and your commitment to the game that will see you through it's your determination to succeed and be able to try a different path..He did now he is 6'3 ..105 kg fit and ready watch out Sydney..Round two

All points aside it doesn't surprise me that a kid after a year of colts who potentially next season after a year in 3rd grade colts could play 1st or 2nd colts at a strong Randwick colts program could go into Nat 2. Nat 2 is probably 2nd grade Nat 1/lower championship is Shute Shield level. The point I am trying to make Randwick's 1st/2nd grade colts could play 1st - 3rd grade at most clubs.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
All points aside it doesn't surprise me that a kid after a year of colts who potentially next season after a year in 3rd grade colts could play 1st or 2nd colts at a strong Randwick colts program could go into Nat 2. Nat 2 is probably 2nd grade Nat 1/lower championship is Shute Shield level. The point I am trying to make Randwick's 1st/2nd grade colts could play 1st - 3rd grade at most clubs.
So it’s the coaching at the wicks?

S

sidelineview

There will be more SU and Wicks 3rds Colts players next season who could make 1sts Colts at some other Clubs.
Both Clubs attract quality players so the competition for spots is keen.
Not that either Club is doing the wrong thing as they work within the allowable boundaries of the player points system.
Criticism is levelled at both Clubs but they offer opportunities to players who otherwise may have gone to league.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Still some Mods active on the site in the dead of Summer.

FWIW, I think Sydney club rugby is in pretty good shape. In grade Uni didn't make the finals, and North's and Warringah winning the last 2 years.

Yes Uni dominated Colts, but give the coaches a bit of credit. 1st Colts captain only played 3rds at school.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Then the pure evil of Sydney Club Rugby do this and I suppose the haters will still find reason to crititise.

SUFC will be running a 7-week Junior Development Camp in the new year! For all the details and to sign up visit our website: https://t.co/01AI20OqOx #upthestudents #juniordevelopment #kidscamp #rugbycamp #rugbyunion #nswrugby #growthegame https://t.co/Tli8pkysxb

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
There will be more SU and Wicks 3rds Colts players next season who could make 1sts Colts at some other Clubs.
Both Clubs attract quality players so the competition for spots is keen.
Not that either Club is doing the wrong thing as they work within the allowable boundaries of the player points system.
Criticism is levelled at both Clubs but they offer opportunities to players who otherwise may have gone to league.

We all know that Randwick recruit a lot of good schoolboy players & consequently have a lot of depth in that group, but for me , the significant point from Told to play's post above , is that when asked ,the player mentioned , was told to forget about playing rugby next year. Irrespective of the depth of colts football at Randwick , surely there is no justification for that sort of advice from a coach.

S

sidelineview

I agree, if its true, but its only one side of the story.
A lot can be lost in translation.
What if a player's told to forget about playing in future if you're not prepared to train harder ..... adopt a better attitude ..... work on a particular part of his game ..... etc etc.
Constructive criticism can spur a young player on ...
I dont know the full story ... just saying ....

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Then the pure evil of Sydney Club Rugby do this and I suppose the haters will still find reason to crititise.

SUFC will be running a 7-week Junior Development Camp in the new year! For all the details and to sign up visit our website: https://t.co/01AI20OqOx #upthestudents #juniordevelopment #kidscamp #rugbycamp #rugbyunion #nswrugby #growthegame https://t.co/Tli8pkysxb

Promising start. Once they get the hang of it they could run some junior teams in actual comps.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
We all know that Randwick recruit a lot of good schoolboy players & consequently have a lot of depth in that group, but for me , the significant point from Told to play's post above , is that when asked ,the player mentioned , was told to forget about playing rugby next year. Irrespective of the depth of colts football at Randwick , surely there is no justification for that sort of advice from a coach.
I'll defend the coach here, as what gets said vs what gets heard and then said to dad, who puts it down on here, can translate into a complete mess. People prepared to jump straight to the young blokes side could misinformed at best. This was a discussion between a player and a coach. In the real world, not schoolboys.
There seems to be recurring theme here though.
Player doesn't like what he hears, speaks with dad, saying what he heard.
Dad fires up and embellishes with a little bit more salt.
Everyone else jumps on daddy bandwagon.
Kid goes to new club and does just the same thing as last year and disappears into the fog and mist.
Everyone forgets story.

Peter FitzSimons, whom I am loathe to quote, said of his tryouts for higher honours was told by Dave Brockhoff "I don't blame you son, I blame the people that sent you here "
Is that something wrong to say @donethat?

Status
Not open for further replies.