• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2018 TV ratings and crowd numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

Yep, was talking about the national club championship match and the time of year it is scheduled, nothing more

Snowy

Frank Nicholson (4)
Isn't this part of the whole problem we are talking about "The national club championship " that as far as I know only involves 2 clubs from 2 separate comps

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Dear oh bloody dear.

It was a bloody good game of club rugby, on Fox Sports. Take it for what it is, watch it if you like rugby, last year it was not on Fox Sports.

If it or something similar is on Fox Sports every year, I will be very happy. Better than nothing. Much better than nothing.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Two pages ago you were talking about it like it was the most important game of the year and if any rugby fan hadn't watched it they weren't really a rugby fan.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Isn't this part of the whole problem we are talking about "The national club championship " that as far as I know only involves 2 clubs from 2 separate comps

I'd actually love a day where all teams play. Work it as a promotion relegation kinda thing

Game 1 - Vic v South Aus (winner promoted to game 2 for next year)
Game 2 - WA v ACT (winner promoted to championship game for next year, loser relegated to game 1)
Game 3/Championship Game - QLD v NSW (loser relegated)

Next year for example it could be

Game 1 - South Aus v WA
Game 2 - Vic v QLD
Game 3 - ACT v NSW

ect.

Act it as a carnival for the day (kinda a real celebration of community rugby) and rotate the venue. The 3 tiers also safeguards any possibility of the weakest team playing the best team.

D

daz

I'd actually love a day where all teams play. Work it as a promotion relegation kinda thing

Next year for example it could be

Game 2 - Vic v QLD

The 3 tiers also safeguards any possibility of the weakest team playing the best team.

Well, you've already blown that out of the water. You have the weakest team playing the strongest team in your example. Come on, be fair.

No way Qld are able to compete against the Vic team.

:)

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
TOCC

My interpretation of what you posted is District Regional teams which is Club Rugby as I understand it say an example most would know Eastwood RUC in the Sydney Shute Shield. That these clubs are a broken model. IMO these clubs create a pathway for the local district park teams for the better players to come and test themselves and mostly receive better training than at their local park team.

For me these clubs be they in the Hunter / Newcastle region or Central Coast or the back of Orange they are crucial in development and growth pathways.

James & Staff

Hopefully my explanation to TOCC helps. But to expand I have been advocating since around 1998 or could have been 1999 that we need a national domestic competition. [NDC]

To this end I have always said my preference was to choose teams from within the existing rugby family. Thus club teams.

Leadership and vision was needed as not everyone could fit in so how do you go about establishing say a 12 team national competition.

Very briefly my idea, after a long negotiation process which was inclusive select 12 teams from ACT, NSW & QLD to play in a NDC. Then because of the negotiation promote if you like 12 other teams from say park level to club rugby level. This mean the status-que of teams in club rugby would remain the same. Expand to WA in time then SA and leave VIC to last.

The new competition would have support from its own base and could draw from arguably the other teams fans because of the higher level of skill.

What we did was take existing state teams of over a 100 years standing as state teams and turn them into club teams. Then we raided club rugby for players and hid it away on sub subscription TV while in Sydney anyway the now weaken SS was on FTA.

IMO it was pure madness, however I was generally considered a sorta trouble maker, out of touch and essentially my views considered pure madness so many arguments and in time I gave up.

Of course it is madness. Also basically what the AFL have done - taken the VFL and gradually expanded. There have been casualties along the way (I still know some Fitzroy fans who basically don't follow the AFL at all).

The pay tv wall is unfortunately really having a massive long term impact on the game.

I'm definitely in favor of a national competition but doing it properly requires stepping on some toes and braking some eggs. The best way to do it requires significant funding which unfortunately we are currently lacking in. The right time was after the world cup in 2003. The profile was so much bigger then. But can't change the past ...

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
Dear oh bloody dear.

It was a bloody good game of club rugby, on Fox Sports. Take it for what it is, watch it if you like rugby, last year it was not on Fox Sports.

If it or something similar is on Fox Sports every year, I will be very happy. Better than nothing. Much better than nothing.

Good for it. Good for you and all the people who watched it. Perhaps some people will try and catch it on delay or look it up elsewhere based on your positive comments about it. But you also said

Just watching a great game of club rugby on replay, the Warringah Rats and University of Queensland, for the Australian Club championship.

Anybody who does not enjoy this, does not enjoy rugby. If you can afford "not to give a rat's arse" about a game like this, sorry to say this, but you do not deserve to have any rugby to watch.

Which is what resulted in the responses.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
We have some tender little petals on this forum. I do not withdraw or apologise for anything I posted. It was a great game of rugby, and surely it is pretty obvious that anybody who did not enjoy it is not enjoying it for reasons other than the quality of the gme itself.

Let me take a step back here. I have said on numerous occasions that we are in the poo as a game in Australia, and the only possible way forward for the game is for all stakeholders and supporters to put aside petty self-interest, and little prejudices, and especially old and new grudges, and work together. Together we have a chance of surviving.

Ergo, let me spell it out, those alleged supporters who did not or would not watch a game just because it does not meet their lofty ideals of rightness, or fairness, or whateverness, are cutting off their noses to spite their faces.

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
We have some tender little petals on this forum. I do not withdraw or apologise for anything I posted. It was a great game of rugby, and surely it is pretty obvious that anybody who did not enjoy it is not enjoying it for reasons other than the quality of the gme itself.

Let me take a step back here. I have said on numerous occasions that we are in the poo as a game in Australia, and the only possible way forward for the game is for all stakeholders and supporters to put aside petty self-interest, and little prejudices, and especially old and new grudges, and work together. Together we have a chance of surviving.

Ergo, let me spell it out, those alleged supporters who did not or would not watch a game just because it does not meet their lofty ideals of rightness, or fairness, or whateverness, are cutting off their noses to spite their faces.

Aren't you the one who last week who said

As for the future of rugby in this country, the first thing that we should do is forget all about being a truly national sport, because short of a miracle, that is just not feasible.

Then we should build on our strengths, as few and as far between as they are. The Shute Shield is one of our strengths, perhaps the strongest of all our components.

We face a stark choice. Go in the direction of reality, or go in the direction of a fantasy.

I hope we choose reality.

Wonderful togetherness there ....

Personally, I didn't watch the game you mentioned as
  1. I didn't know it was on
  2. I don't have fox sports
  3. I don't know the teams or anyone in the teams
  4. I don't have unlimited time in my life
If I had Fox sports, more time and knew it was on, then yeah I might have watched it. But more likely I would have watched the last rounds of the 6 nations above it.

D

daz

What prejudices? What petty self-interest? What grudges? Are you telling me that because the entire rugby supporting population of Australia did not down tools to watch a game where a club from QLD played a club from NSW, the game itself is in mortal danger?

The problem is not that people didn't enjoy it. Those who did watch it probably did enjoy it, if you are a sample of those people.

If the rest of us had watched it we probably would have enjoyed it too, but I didn't watch it. Didn't know it was on. Didn't know where to go to watch it, even if I was interested. Which I wasn't.

Not sure if it is a lofty ideal or not, but generally speaking, if I can't name a single player from either team, or even know what the team colours are, or who they represent, there is a fair chance I'm not going to go out of my way to watch it.

So based on your logic, I assume you are fully conversant in the team lists, fixtures and ladder of the Pindan comp in Perth? The Dewar Shield in Vic? Every other state club comp in Oz?

I'm sure that it's possible to be a rugby supporter and not watch every single game that is played across this country.

T

TOCC

I watched it for a bit, but then turned it over to the NRL because:

-I have no affiliation to UQ
-I have no affiliation to Warringah
-It's preseason so fitness and execution was lacking
-These teams were the SS/QPR Champions in 2017, but both teams have had high turnover and look nothing like their GF team from 2017

In saying that, I think its positive that it is on tv, I just don't think its on tv at the right time of the year, if it were played after the Club Grand Finals and prior to the NRC I would have much more vested interest in watching the two best clubs from the QPR and SS play each other.

D

daz

In saying that, I think its positive that it is on tv, .

Agree. I think it's brilliant it's on TV. More games from clubland should be on TV. We should be TV'ing the shit out of our code; every club comp, every state. Wall to Wall rugby. A dedicated Foxtel channel and FTA.

Doesn't mean I'll watch many games, but it would be brilliant!

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
Agree. I think it's brilliant it's on TV. More games from clubland should be on TV. We should be TV'ing the shit out of our code; every club comp, every state. Wall to Wall rugby. A dedicated Foxtel channel and FTA.

Doesn't mean I'll watch many games, but it would be brilliant!

I'd settle for SuperRugby being on FTA ...
In the mid-2000's sometimes we didn't even get the Wallabies v All Blacks games live in Melbourne on FTA.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
A bit of a positive from Payto & Panda:

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...b/news-story/8fae647812a776c162ffe9e51c5543bc
The average audience on FoxSports for rounds 2-5 (only South Africa played in round one) is up 15% on rounds 1-5 last season. ​For games hosted in Australia, the average audience is 70,000 — which is up 5% on last year.
​Sure​, it’s not the figures of behemoths like NRL or cricket but rugby is routinely out-rating A-League games (one ​recent ​Saturday night ​clash got 24,000) and FoxSports bosses are​ apparently​ happy with the ​upward trend​.

Given the first five rounds of last season saw a Tahs-Brumbies and Reds-Crusaders clash and this season probably hasn't had any Aus hosted games as popular as those, that looks like a pretty good uptick.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Take out last year's Force v Reds Thursday night game (38k) and things are pretty much identical.

Especially including margins of error

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
Take out last year's Force v Reds Thursday night game (38k) and things are pretty much identical.

Especially including margins of error

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

It's still shit house really. We talk about the Rebels having problems getting sponsorship - why would anyone want to sponsor any team where they get less than 100k watching on TV and less than 15k in crowds (this relates to every Australian team).

Status
Not open for further replies.