• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2018 TV ratings and crowd numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
TOCC,

Mate, I've been suggesting that RA look to do something like this for quite some time. A complete OTT option for all competition from Premier club up. If the NBL can do it so can we. Imagine a offering where you can get every Aus Super Rugby/IPRC game, NRC, Aon and Super W and premier club competitions. With no geo-blocking.

Of course, RA would cock it up by overcharging right off the bat
What do you reckon an appropriate amount to charge would be?

T

TOCC

I can steam NRL games for free via the NRL App purely because of my Telstra mobile deal..

Otherwise it would cost $3.99/week or $99/annum

Jamie

Watty Friend (18)
What do you reckon an appropriate amount to charge would be?

That is a great question, personally I am against "Free" stuff as people have to get paid, be music, movies or in this case sports. It goes beyond players as hopefully every dollar filters down to all levels (Admin staff, coaches, Juniors). Southern hemisphere rugby is facing an uphill battle to keep players and generate revenue as we all know so something like this would be great!

I am now a Foxtel Now subscriber and for $44 per month I get all the channels I actually watch plus I get my rugby fix, these days there are rugby games all year round. I am happy to pay $44 but this is not for everybody, I actually used to pay for the full Foxtel package which was quiet expensive. BAR TV does a great job and they are getting better and better every year, hopefully one day they will do a deal with Fox Sports to be able to stream games. I would say that $20 a month would be a fair amount to charge for content, you would have all the live games plus replays, also have a pre/post game interviews and RA content. Less than a case of beer :)

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Highest rating sport over the weekend was the women's Australian open golf with 107k on abc.

You can see why cricket Australia is salivating at the thought of expanding into February. It's just dead out there at the moment.

AFLx hasn't really worked, the women's game hasn't inspired like last year, the league games didn't crack 100k. NBL is virtually invisible despite FTA presence and the less said about the A League ratings on both FTA and fox the better at the moment. They were getting better numbers for FFA cup games featuring amateurs during AFL finals.

Let's see if rugby can bucks the widespread downward trend

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Jamie, I have been seriously considering Foxtel Now lately and have just canceled my full Foxtel service as I have recently bought a small caravan and am traveling most of the time. My concern is that very few caravan parks have suitable wifi service in either download capacity or broadband speed to be able to stream anything like a match or even an hour long drama series. Are you (or any other readers/posters) aware of any broadband packages that might be suitable to take on the road that will allow matches to be viewed?

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
Jamie, I have been seriously considering Foxtel Now lately and have just canceled my full Foxtel service as I have recently bought a small caravan and am traveling most of the time. My concern is that very few caravan parks have suitable wifi service in either download capacity or broadband speed to be able to stream anything like a match or even an hour long drama series. Are you (or any other readers/posters) aware of any broadband packages that might be suitable to take on the road that will allow matches to be viewed?

https://www.telstra.com.au/broadband/mobile-broadband/. Sure there are other companies which may be cheaper, but Telstra has by far the best network outside the cities. If you go a plan, you get 12 months foxtel now included (starter pack only). Alternatively, you can get prepaid mobile broadband and recharge every month to save your unused data. About 1 GB per hour if you are watching SD. You also get access to Telstra Air which gives you free wifi internet in certain locations (apparently about 1 million across Australia)

Jamie

Watty Friend (18)
Hi Brumby Runner
As James mentions prepaid broadband is probably the way to go, it would really depend on how much streaming you are looking at doing whilst you travel.
I have been a Foxtel customer for years and I am not going to bore you with my failed negotiations with them but essentially I wanted an unlimited broadband package, the new Foxtel puck and get rid off the cable, they could offer me anything even remotely close to what I wanted. I ended up getting Optus broadband for $80 per months unlimited, comes with Fetch TV and I can stream all my rugby without worrying about data.
Hope you enjoy your travels :)

T

TOCC

If you have Foxtel and you’re paying full price just to get the sports package, my recommendation would be call up and tell them you want to disconnect, play hardball with them as they will try and talk you into staying. Basically they are authorised to give you the sports package and either the drama/entertainment for free, so you’re only paying for the basic $26 package . During the off-season you can negotiate to swap the sports package to the movies package, and again it’s free.

I might sound like a tightarse, but hey it saves me $700 a year.

Jamie

Watty Friend (18)
I am really happy with Foxtel Now actually, as mentioned I only pay for the stuff I want sports and showcase $44, before I cancelled my subscription (it is worth mentioning that I had Foxtel since it was pretty much Galaxy) I spoke to a number of Foxtel people about getting the new Foxtel Puck, basically I was hoping to get unlimited broadband and the Foxtel puck and since I was already getting internet through Foxtel I figured it be an easy swap. What followed was a number of painful calls daily to not only explain myself again and again (Not being racist here but speaking to OS call centres is extremely frustrating) but also people trying to upsell me to other packages that I did not need. My argument was simple I wanted to streamline my services and get rid of that big IQ box, their best explanation was that they could not bundle internet and their new Foxtel puck, I had to upgrade to platinum, blah blah. It was only when I had cancelled my service that I was finally transferred to a retention staff member here in Australia.

Anyway I am pretty happy now and with Foxtel Now I get to watch replay of games whenever I want to basically, they pop up in the rugby section. As a side note I had to get my wife to sign up for Foxtel now as my email address was "already" with Foxtel.

I am not knocking Foxtel in fact they do a wonderful job with sport but the old model is slowly dying, I heard last year that Foxtel Now streaming service is the way that they are heading and I would not be surprised to see the cable side of things disappear, they have the means to produce their own content much like Netflix so there is huge market. there has to be value for money though.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
Can anybody help me find a good source for SA based crowd figures? I found the below on SA Rugby Magazine's website, but haven't found any actual figures... I'm pretty keen to track all attendances and Aus viewerships for all games where possible

"Ellis Park attracted a decent crowd for the local derby between the Lions and Sharks – some 27,500 souls. Newlands, however, failed to attract 20,000 fans for the official season opener between the Stormers and Jaguares."

Clarence

Stan Wickham (3)
I can steam NRL games for free via the NRL App purely because of my Telstra mobile deal..

Otherwise it would cost $3.99/week or $99/annum

That's a great idea and would instantly bring in new fans, especially for a league with limited exposure like Super Rugby.
If Rugby Aus did something like that I would definitely switch providers.

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
That's a great idea and would instantly bring in new fans, especially for a league with limited exposure like Super Rugby.
If Rugby Aus did something like that I would definitely switch providers.

Of course you also get AFL, AFLW and Netball on Telstra

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
Can anybody help me find a good source for SA based crowd figures? I found the below on SA Rugby Magazine's website, but haven't found any actual figures. I'm pretty keen to track all attendances and Aus viewerships for all games where possible

"Ellis Park attracted a decent crowd for the local derby between the Lions and Sharks – some 27,500 souls. Newlands, however, failed to attract 20,000 fans for the official season opener between the Stormers and Jaguares."

If you want entertainment, check out the Pro14 crowds on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017–18_Pro14

For super rugby, if they don't report it then it a bad number. There were a large number of games without crowds for last year.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Can anybody help me find a good source for SA based crowd figures? I found the below on SA Rugby Magazine's website, but haven't found any actual figures. I'm pretty keen to track all attendances and Aus viewerships for all games where possible

Sorry RebelYell - never been able to find a dependable source.And teams often don't release official figures, especially if they are disappointing.

The super rugby 2018 list on Wikipedia can be pretty good, and the SHrugby blog has tracked some numbers in the past.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)

20,000 looks like being pretty generous

JPEG_20180220_141009.jpg

Jamie

Watty Friend (18)
Hi All

I came across this link today

https://www.rugbypass.com/signup?ut...ent=generic&utm_campaign=rugbypass_superrugby

Seems pretty reasonable, has anybody tried it?

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0)]
CHOOSE A PLAN
Weekly Pass​
$7.99​
[COLOR=rgba(34, 34, 34, 0.5)]
per week​
[/COLOR]
Monthly Pass​
$19.99​
per month​
[/COLOR]
Yearly Pass​
$159.99​
per year​
[/COLOR]
[/COLOR]

Every game from The Six Nations, The Rugby Championship, June & November Internationals, Super Rugby, European Champions Cup, Aviva Premiership, Mitre10 Cup, and Currie Cup, plus selected matches from the Pro14 and Top14, all streamed in HD, live and on demand direct to your devices!​
[/COLOR]

Watch live or on demand, on your TV, PC, laptop, phone or connected device​
[/COLOR]

Watch via Apple TV, Chromecast, or our mobile apps​
[/COLOR]

All prices in USD
[/COLOR]

T

TOCC

It’s geo-locked:

*RugbyPass is fully operational in the following countries: Bangladesh, Bhutan, Brunei, Cambodia, China, East Timor, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Laos, Macau, Malaysia, Maldives, Myanmar, Nepal, Pakistan, Philippines, Singapore, South Korea, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, Thailand and Vietnam.

Status
Not open for further replies.