• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2018 TV ratings and crowd numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
5,283 at Canberra Stadium for Brumbies v Rebels

Just beaten by the lowest ever AFL crowd at the Gabba, 6060 for Suns v Demons and 9,254 at Spotless for GWS v Eagles

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The AFL produces their own news, they claim to have a stable of 100 journalists. The way the media seems to work these days, if an organisation sends a package, video, or print, to a news outlet, nine times out of ten - maybe more than that - it gets a run.

The NRL is not far behind, but of course in their heartlands they are big enough to attract decent coverage anyway.

We are too poor to generate our own, and of course neither are we popular enough. Yet another aspect of the secular trend downwards.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Couldn't cut the Brumbies because until this year they were the best performing Aus side since the Tahs in 2014. The Brumbies woes this year are similar to those of the Reds and Rebels, and the Tahs up til this year. They are very poorly coached. Their skill levels are deteriorating, and they have no direction towards playing winning rugby.

Fix these issues and the wins will start again, and the crowds will start to return. Sadly, I can't see anything positive happening for some time yet.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
5,283 at Canberra Stadium for Brumbies v Rebels

Just beaten by the lowest ever AFL crowd at the Gabba, 6060 for Suns v Demons and 9,254 at Spotless for GWS v Eagles

It was also about 10-12 degrees warmer in Brisbane last night than it was in Canberra.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The AFL produces their own news, they claim to have a stable of 100 journalists. The way the media seems to work these days, if an organisation sends a package, video, or print, to a news outlet, nine times out of ten - maybe more than that - it gets a run.

The AFL produce their own news for their own website, but not for anyone else..........

The teams do upload their own videos to their own respective websites, and provide them to news outlets if requested - but the media interest in the AFL is so big that they don't need the AFL to do their jobs for them.

Also, they don't have 100 journalists, that figure is just laughable (for any newsroom) - they maybe have 100 staff in total in their media unit.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Doesn't look like any games yesterday made the top 20 so no ratings. There was a lot on though so cutoff would have been pretty high

Maybe tomorrow

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
What was the cut off for no.20?

I’d look myself but don’t know where you get these numbers

Thanks
F1 qualifying got 82k which is the lowest I've seen

Don't know if that's #20, but @mediaweekaus always posts super rugby if available, and he didn't today.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Couldn't cut the Brumbies because until this year they were the best performing Aus side since the Tahs in 2014. The Brumbies woes this year are similar to those of the Reds and Rebels, and the Tahs up til this year. They are very poorly coached. Their skill levels are deteriorating, and they have no direction towards playing winning rugby.

Fix these issues and the wins will start again, and the crowds will start to return. Sadly, I can't see anything positive happening for some time yet.

The performance on the field while important should not have been the deciding factor. It should have been future performance on AND off the field. In my opinion this means the Brumbies should stay.

There is no reason why they cant get back to their best, it will take a while but I think they could get back to 20000 crowds to rugby if the right things are done, the type of game played, success, high profile players etc as well as a better stadium (indoor?)

I cannot see the Rebels or Perth ever getting close to what the Brumbies can get to.

It was a great decision to keep them and if anything I would have cut the Rebels and had some type of merger with the Brumbies to share their "territory".

I think it will be at least 5 years until we will have rugby close to where it has previously been, maybe 10.

The way to fix the future is through the kids playing the game, we need to coach skills that are lacking throughout representative rugby to 12 year olds and stick with it. Our current teams will not right the ship, it will be the players who are not even contracted.

charlesalan

Sydney Middleton (9)
Force are claiming 16 000 for their second game this week. that makes 36 000 or there abouts in WA for two games.
Just saying -
Rebels
Reds
Tahs
Brumbies
Double the average attendance at their home games - c'mon Raelene, what are you gonna do to bring the crowds back to Super Rugby??
(Ok Wam, I know what you're gonna say here, it's not up to her, well then Franchise CEO's, what TF are you doing to bring the crowds in, cos Twiggy is dancing on your graves right now)

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
(Ok Wam, I know what you're gonna say here, it's not up to her, well then Franchise CEO's, what TF are you doing to bring the crowds in, cos Twiggy is dancing on your graves right now)

Twiggy is tapping into huge local interest, and that is great to see. Let us remember that the Western Force did likewise in its very early days in SupeRugby.

If the Tahs, Reds, Rebels, and/or Brumbies had access to a lot of money, could spend a lot more on promotion and entertainment, and could pick and choose their competitors, and the time and place of the games, they would probably get bigger followings.

Particularly if they won.

Let us see how it all pans out. Maybe we are seeing the start of something big. Or maybe not. Time, as always, will tell.

Jamie

Watty Friend (18)
Screen+Shot+2018-05-14+at+10.06.51+am.png

Status
Not open for further replies.